The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 8, 2013, 04:17 AM   #1
rc

California Legislature Following New York

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...aws-in-nation/

California politicians are jellous of those in NY and plan to ram a slew of draconian legislation down the throats of California gun owners including limits on ammunition posession, hollow points, all semi autos with detachable mags etc. What these fools don't realize is they are requirring guns that are more dangerous to use safely by making the guns harder to load/unload. They really don't care about what makes a gun safer to handle by the user if it can make it faster to reload. They will stop at nothing to restrict the rights of the people even if the laws are unconstitutional and waste the time of the courts. The bill of rights is supposed to protect us from this sort of stupidity. The "minority" should always be protected from mob rule if legislators honored the constitution. California politicians are moving towards the English Model...... Just give em 5 more years.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
MagnumWill

They want to pay for someone to drive out to my house and count my ammo?

Gee, officer- I only have these two 12-gauge shells. That's all I need! Joe Biden even said so!
Old February 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

They plan on banning bullet buttons too. How can they get away with this?

And more importantly how can they enforce any of this?

Edit: Most importantly what will happen to those who have these weapons and are retroactively made illegal?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor

Last edited by Dr Big Bird PhD; February 8, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:29 PM   #4
sigcurious

Quote:
And more importantly how can they enforce any of this?
Sadly for large swaths of Southern California, it would be easy to at least keep people from shooting by enforcing at a limited number of areas. Off the top of my head there's the Angeles range, Lytle creek and Barstow area, and the place in Corona(rauhags?) where rifles can be shot legally and are easily accessible(Applevalley too if you include membership clubs). Crack down on those, and people have to drive into NV/AZ or have access to a vehicle capable of really getting out there in the high desert.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Southwest Chuck

California Legislature Following New York

Should read:

California Legislature Out-doing New York

Old February 8, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
sholling

Fortunately while many if not most of these loony proposals will pass the legislature only a few will get signed into law by the governor - this time. Unfortunately the odds are that after the 2014 state election absolutely anything and everything anti-gun that they can think up will become law. The legislature is well aware that California courts including California based federal district courts will ignore the 2nd Amendment and the Heller decision for as long as humanly possible and force gun owners into an expensive never ending series of lawsuits and appeals as they continually legislate around any Supreme Court decisions that go our way. Basically Chicago's tactics applied state wide.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

Like I said in another thread, It is of our utmost interest to have a supreme court ruling regarding these rifles, ammo laws, and magazine capacity as soon as possible. The quicker these laws are ruled on, the more likely we can defeat them.

It's harder for SCOTUS to strike down an old law than a new one.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
sholling

Quote:
Like I said in another thread, It is of our utmost interest to have a supreme court ruling regarding these rifles, ammo laws, and magazine capacity as soon as possible. The quicker these laws are ruled on, the more likely we can defeat them.
This is where NY helps us. I doubt that SCOTUS would have taken a magazine capacity case anytime soon if the NY had not gone off the deep end but they now have an excuse to say if the army can have unlimited numbers of 30rd mags then so can the public which also gives them an excuse to take on the whole scary looking rifles ban. The problem is that we only have a limited window of opportunity before one of the Heller 5 retires or worse and is replaced on the court with a 5th rabid anti.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Just fail to see how there could be ANY way to go around the Heller decision though regarding the logic of AWs and Magazines.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
NJgunowner

Judges these days are psuedo politicians. Just assume if there is a way to screw it up for gain, they will. We really do need something in front of the supreme court to get this hammered out once and for all.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:54 PM   #11
sholling

Quote:
Just fail to see how there could be ANY way to go around the Heller decision though regarding the logic of AWs and Magazines.
Anti-2nd Amendment judges all over the country are operating in a state of not so subtle revolt against the Heller and McDonald decisions and logic is not even a consideration. For them the priority is to hold off the results of Heller long enough for one of the Heller 5 to die and be replaced with an anti who will join the other 4 in reversing Heller. For example there are still no operating ranges in Chicago because the judge on the case has been dragging her feet for as long as she possibly can and as soon her future ruling against us is overturned on appeal the city will pass a new law blocking ranges and the resulting court case against it will drag on in that same court for more years.

In another egregious example we have been waiting since 2010 for a judge in Palmer v DC to even bother to rule one way or the other on the right to bear with no hope of getting anything out of him within our lifetimes. He knows the longer he delays ruling against us the longer we have to wait to file an appeal so he just refuses to rule one way or the other.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...ct_of_Columbia

Last edited by sholling; February 8, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:00 PM   #12
jmortimer

Our legislature refuses to be second on the stupid scale. Dumb and dumber.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:18 PM   #13
SVO

And we now have a horse race to the bottom of the trash can. I find it amazing that politicians are trying to out do each other in writing bad law.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:25 PM   #14
speedrrracer

These "I can write a gnarlier anti-gun law that you can" competitions between NY and CA are going to work out in our favor.

The more blatantly unconstitutional it is (and banning guns that have reloadable magazines is insanely unconstitutional, as is 7-rd mag limits) the easier for us to overturn with SCOTUS.

When your opponent is grabbing for enough rope to hang himself, what do you do? You give it to him....
Old February 9, 2013, 02:55 AM   #15
Metal god

This is BS !!! I'm so sick of the left coast .

Quote:
California would ban so-called "bullet buttons" that can be used to quickly detach and reload magazines in semi-automatic rifles,
This is the one that gets me P.Oed. It appears we have already lost the wording and definition debate . I now have seen this quite a few times . Anybody that has a bullet button on there rifle knows that it slows you down a lot . It is a pain in the -- to change your mag if your not sitting at a bench . You need a tool to release the mag and that tool can't be attach to the gun . That means you have to keep it in your hand , pocket , hang it around your neck ,whatever works for you . The tool must fit in to a small hole in the mag release button . You must take your eye off target to make sure you are inserting the tool in the right place . Yet they are selling it like it is some type of improvement to help you reload faster and getting away with it . The media is buying in to this garbage with out checking there facts again .

What the antis are mad at when it comes to the bullet button is , it changed the firearm from one with a detachable mag to a fixed mag . Because the AR15 now has a fixed mag it is exempt from all the other AWB restrictions like flash hiders forward grips folding stocks . For that I like the bullet button . The bullet button in NO WAY helps you change your mags faster > We must stop this term and definition from being used and believed by anyone that votes .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .