The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Prof Young

Semi auto loose barrels?

Gun smiths:

Went to a gun auction and handled a lot of semi auto hand guns at the preview. I noticed that on every one of them, with the magazine removed and the slide locked back . . . the barrel was loose and i could wiggle it around.
These were all used guns, but they were many good brands. Is this normal?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 24, 2011, 03:29 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. Perfectly normal with the slide open. The barrel on most pistols isn't 'locked' into the slide when the action is open.
A 1911 barrel, for example, is only 'locked' in the slide when the slide is closed. Have a look at this. The 'bands' on the top of the barrel mate with recesses in the slide and the pistol is locked into 'battery' only when the actionis closed. http://stevespages.com/ipb-colt-1911.html
Most pistols aren't a whole lot different. They can and do 'lock' differently though.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Prof Young

Thanks.

T.
Thanks for the info. It just surprised me. I only own one semi-auto and assumed the barrel had some wiggle room cause it's a very cheap gun.
Thanks again.
Prof Young
Old July 24, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, it is normal for a locked breech pistol, where the barrel and slide are locked together until the bullet is out of or almost out of the barrel. But on a blowback pistol, a really loose barrel could be trouble, though some barrels that have to be removed for disassembly are a bit loose.

Examples: A 1911 barrel that is loose when the slide is open is perfectly normal. A Colt Model 1903 barrel is a little loose as it has to turn and unlock from the frame so the pistol can be taken down for cleaning. A Walther PP with a loose barrel indicates there is something wrong.

Jim
Old July 26, 2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Prof Young

Lots to learn.

Jim:

I guess I don't know the difference between those two types of systems. There is a lot to learn. I guess I should find a book on hand guns or some such.
Thanks
Prof Young
Old July 26, 2011, 08:23 PM   #6
drail

The only thing that matters is play in the barrel/slide fit at full lockup at the front and rear of the barrel. Play between the slide and frame doesn't really hurt accuracy any but the barrel has to lock up snugly and in the same position every time it cycles.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:42 AM   #7
brickeyee

Quote:
Play between the slide and frame doesn't really hurt accuracy any but the barrel has to lock up snugly and in the same position every time it cycles.
And in the 1911 design the barrel is still in contact with the slide stop pin.
The effect is not very large unless the play is excessive, but it shows at higher levels of Bullseye.
Old July 27, 2011, 01:37 PM   #8
chasep255

Yeah that is because they are recoil operated. When the slide comes forward it locks with the barrel and pushes it all the way forward. When the gun fires it recoils and the slide and barrel travel back together slightly and then unlock. This backwards travel of the barrel is why it wiggles when the gun is open.
Old July 27, 2011, 03:38 PM   #9
brickeyee

Quote:
This backwards travel of the barrel is why it wiggles when the gun is open.
And the clearance required for barrel tip down.