The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 25, 2019, 10:32 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

Quote:
While in 'safety' it takes a mere .018" to release cylinder
Is this a typo? 18/1000" ? Sounds like an added 0 when I check the notch on my 22 Short Mini.
The hammer locks up solidly in the safety notch with a deliberate force needed to clear the notch enough for the cylinder to move.
How did you measure .018?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 26, 2019, 12:04 AM   #27
JERRYS.

they are cute well made guns but too slow into action for me to be a choice for self defense. however, as a snake shot gun while fishing you betcha. I know how the shot spread is, seen plenty of those videos, but wonder if the shot would penetrate enough to do in a pit viper when fired from one of those sub 2" bbls
Old December 28, 2019, 11:23 AM   #28
GaryED50

I've been practicing since picking it up but I'm having trouble getting the hammer into the safety notch. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong

Gary
Old December 28, 2019, 04:09 PM   #29
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryED50 View Post
Next one I want to get is their new top break 22magnum version

Gary
Me too. But other things are taking priority right now. The top breaks (Ranger II) are kind of expensive.
Old December 28, 2019, 04:24 PM   #30
GaryED50

Best part of this is Correcting a mistake. I had bought one of these before in 2015

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=564810

But stupidly sold it. Won't make that error again

Gary
Old December 28, 2019, 04:51 PM   #31
Carmady

"I've been practicing since picking it up but I'm having trouble getting the hammer into the safety notch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8x0eeqXFbM
Old December 28, 2019, 05:33 PM   #32
ammo.crafter

mini

2x as Bill.

Easy to conceal
Old December 28, 2019, 05:49 PM   #33
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
"I've been practicing since picking it up but I'm having trouble getting the hammer into the safety notch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8x0eeqXFbM
Thank you

I wasn't pulling the trigger 1st

Gary
Old January 15, 2020, 01:45 AM   #34
GaryED50

First range visit. this little sucker is hard to control. this is from about 7 feet.

Gary
Old January 15, 2020, 06:51 AM   #35
Msauter

Think of it as a loud knife, or a get-off-me gun ...
Old January 17, 2020, 03:15 PM   #36
Armybrat

Or a piece of fine jewelry witha very loud bite
Old January 17, 2020, 11:12 PM   #37
dsk

I have one of the little 1" .22LR versions, and at 5 yards the bullets often start to keyhole. CCI is less likely to, but the only round where it hasn't happened at all is Stingers. Looking down the barrel it's hard to even see the rifling as it's extremely shallow. I bought it mostly because it was cute, and for a short time I did carry it on me at all times, but since I can't hit anything with it beyond a few feet I decided not to trust it as a defensive weapon. And yes I have the rubber grips on it, which helped a little.
Old January 30, 2020, 05:47 PM   #38
watchamacallit

I've had one of these with the swappable cylinders for years and every once in awhile take it out and fondle it because it's so damn cute. But I've never actually fired it because can't work out a comfortable and safe grip and hand position. Please educate me on that.

Paul S
Old January 30, 2020, 08:53 PM   #39
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamacallit View Post
I've had one of these with the swappable cylinders for years and every once in awhile take it out and fondle it because it's so damn cute. But I've never actually fired it because can't work out a comfortable and safe grip and hand position. Please educate me on that.

Paul S
I haven't discovered that myself yet

Gary
Old January 30, 2020, 10:58 PM   #40
vkeith

I have long thin fingers but this grip works for me. It allows me to control the little revolver and easily cock it after each shot.

I have also found that using the gap in the frame where the hammer rests as a rear sight blade helps with accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190324_022826604.jpg (144.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190324_022714514.jpg (156.5 KB, 106 views)
Old January 31, 2020, 12:28 AM   #41
wmg1299

My kids got me the basic Rosewood version in .22lr as a Fathers' Day gift a few years back. We all love plinking with that little thing. .22lr is cheap and plentiful where we live, and the slow reloading process means that 100 rounds lasts a long time. I do not carry the NAA for self-defense, but the kids and I still love to test our skills with it whenever we head out to the family land. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids wind up fighting for it when I'm gone, and am confident that it will still be working at that time. Enjoy the new purchase.
Old January 31, 2020, 08:38 AM   #42
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
Me too. But other things are taking priority right now. The top breaks (Ranger II) are kind of expensive.
Expensive and also questionable during a close range engagement. I've seen video of people releasing the latch when they're trying to cock the hammer and that's for simple range shooting, make it a real life defensive situation and I can see it happening, if not during a struggle over the gun should such a situation occur.

AFAIK, the old Rangers were not like the new ones and were less prone to that happening.

I think a better, more reliable option is the Sidewinder. Yes, reloads will not be as fast as the Ranger, but they will still be faster and less cumbersome than the traditional pull pin NAA minis. I have one of the traditional NAA's that came with two cylinders and I figure that the fastest reload is to change the empty cylinder for the spare .22 LR that's already loaded, kind of like an 1858 black powder revolver.
Old January 31, 2020, 05:44 PM   #43
Siggy-06

I picked up the NAA Sheriff 2 months ago. It got a bit beat up in the lock box NAA is shipping them in. I emailed them and they sent me a shipping label. Had the gun back less than 2 weeks later, completely refinished with new wood grips. Great warranty service. Love the little .22 mag, and I carry it sometimes as my ccw while running errands or hiking in a lil pankcake holster.
Old January 31, 2020, 06:50 PM   #44
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryED50 View Post
First range visit. this little sucker is hard to control. this is from about 7 feet.

Gary

It takes time. Just line it up with where your index finger would line up. I don’t even aim, I just point and shoot.

5 yards is max for the head and 7 yards for the body.

I have done the body for 10 yards, too.

They’re fun to shoot, easy to conceal and better than no gun, at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 31, 2020, 06:52 PM   #45
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Expensive and also questionable during a close range engagement. I've seen video of people releasing the latch when they're trying to cock the hammer and that's for simple range shooting, make it a real life defensive situation and I can see it happening, if not during a struggle over the gun should such a situation occur.

AFAIK, the old Rangers were not like the new ones and were less prone to that happening.

I think a better, more reliable option is the Sidewinder. Yes, reloads will not be as fast as the Ranger, but they will still be faster and less cumbersome than the traditional pull pin NAA minis. I have one of the traditional NAA's that came with two cylinders and I figure that the fastest reload is to change the empty cylinder for the spare .22 LR that's already loaded, kind of like an 1858 black powder revolver.

The problem I have with the sidewinder for a 22 WMR/Magnum is that the case expands and doesn’t eject freely from the cylinder. I use the pin from the other North American Arms revolver to push them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro