The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2002, 01:23 PM   #1
diaperchanger

870 vs wingmaster

Greetings all,

New guy here with a question/observation...

I'm in the store this morning getting ready to plunk down my $219 on an 870 express w/a 26" barrel. Easy right? Then I decide I want to try one with a 28". All he has in 28" is a Wingmaster (at twice the price). Y'all, this gun felt and pointed SO much better than the express that I walked out without buying anything! I always thought that the differences were purely cosmetic; etched receiver, polished walnut, etc., but there is a much better feel to it also. Am I crazy? Is it the extra 2" of barrel that makes a difference, or is the Wingmaster that much better. Please advise. I'm going to buy a Remington shotgun this weekend no matter what, but I'd prefer not to spend $450.

Thanks!
Old January 5, 2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Edward429451

We've got one of each in our house and I cant tell the difference.
But if it feels so much better than a standard express to you, you better go with the Wingmaster.
Old January 5, 2002, 03:02 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like classic WMs better than Expresses, but....

To me,they handle exactly alike, when all else is equal. That 2 inches more of bbl means a smoother swing, and if the WM has an LC bbl, it may weigh less while still having more weight out front.

Buy the Express for now, keep them peeled for a WM in the future. No such thing as having too much money or too many 870s(G)....
Old January 5, 2002, 06:05 PM   #4
BT100

You may have picked up a Wingmaster LC (Light Contour BBL). 870 Express VS. 870 Wingmaster....the 870WM fit and finish is way better then an express. But the metal works are all the same, but the WM has fine line engraving. The 870 Express finish is like a parkerizing or black oxide type in matte finish, but not as durable. Satin finish cheap wood and the finish on the wood comes off quickly, at least it has on mine. I'll never buy another 870 Express, only 870 Wingmasters with blued metal and high gloss checkered walnut. Rem-Chokes IC, MOD & Full come with the WM. Mod with the Express. Get the 870 Wingmaster.
Old January 5, 2002, 10:25 PM   #5
9mmMike

I have two Express's (be patient with me Dave, I'm sure I'll add more) and I like them very much.
Now, having said that, let me tell you that when a friend of mine wanted a Marine Magnum, I took him on a whirlwind tour of ever gunshop that I knew.
I handled more used 870's than I thought possible.
Every one of the Wingmasters that I picked up was amazing. I do not know if it was the wood or the finish or what but they felt so, well, perfect in my hands.
I almost bought a third SG that day but as I had just bought my second maybe a week earlier, I thought I might be pushing the limits of my bride's legendary patience.
Since that time, I have refinished a couple stocks and worked real hard at smoothing up the action on my Express's but I still have that memory in the back of my mind.
Some day I will buy a used WM if I can find a real good deal. Otherwise, I can squeeze a couple more Express's into my gun cabinet.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old January 6, 2002, 01:19 AM   #6
diaperchanger

Gun show's in town this weekend so tomorrow I'm heading down to look for a used WM. Knowing the vendors who frequent this show, I'll probably find the same gun used for more than it costs new.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:20 PM   #7
Edward429451

I picked up my older used WM at a pawnshop for 220.
It pays to look around...

My WM is 2.75" only. They do make them in 3", correct?
Old January 6, 2002, 12:47 PM   #8
diaperchanger

You're right Edward, it does pay to shop. Just bought a used, pre-express 870 with walnut stock at the B'ham gun show for $175. I know it's not a WM, but that's OK. I like this gun better than the new 870 Express I was going to buy for $219.

dc
Old January 6, 2002, 01:49 PM   #9
BT100

Edward, Remington has been making the WM with the standard 3" chambers and vent rib since 1985. Rem-choke became standard in 1987. For a post 1987 anything under $300.00 in an 95% gauge is a fair price. Sounds like diaperchanger did pretty good on his 870. Good shooting.
Old January 6, 2002, 11:03 PM   #10
Edward429451

Congrats on your new 870, sounds like you did great! Thx for the info too! Guess you need a trap machine now, huh? Its great fun and practice, I use the Trius machine. 75 bucks and solid as a rock. Have fun
Old January 6, 2002, 11:33 PM   #11
diaperchanger

I just joined a new range so I need to find out what's available for shotgunning. This is all new for me...spent most of the last 4-5 years shooting pistols. Looking forward to getting out there this week to try it out. Cheers.
Old January 7, 2002, 11:42 AM   #12
ruger357

I started out with the express with 26 barrel 15 years ago. Never had one problem with it. I have had various models since then and the only problem I had was when I added a mag extention, it kept jamming. I now have a used Wingmaster I intend to hand down to my son. The gun was made in 75 and is in 99% condition. If you like the Wingmaster look for a used one, I paid $180 for mine. If you can't find one, go for a new express. Either way you can't go wrong. Best of luck.
Old January 7, 2002, 05:06 PM   #13
S.F.S

dc,
Congrats on the new 870.. The Express is not quite as smooth as the Wingmaster when new but it will smoothen up a whole lot. I have an Express and a Wingmaster, the Express took awhile buts its much better then it was. I use the Express for hunting and the Wingmaster for Sporting Clays and Trap.
On your receiver does it say Wingmaster or just Remington Magnum?

Goodluck...
Old January 8, 2002, 12:04 AM   #14
diaperchanger

howdy sfs,

It just says Remington Magnum on the receiver and the stock and slide are walnut, unlike the Express. The metal is sort of a charcoal-grey parkerized finish, very cool. I think my next aquisition will be an 18.5" barrel for hd, to be purchased, ironically, from Mossberg.
Old January 8, 2002, 09:22 AM   #15
Edward429451

Hey, while we got the the 870 (experts?) on the thread, answer this.
My WM is the older one, 2.75" and I've often wondered if I could buy a replacement barrel for it in 3", is this feasable replacement or is my receiver going to prohibit the change to 3"?
thx.
Old January 8, 2002, 07:13 PM   #16
S.F.S

Edward,
The barrel will attach to the receiver, BUT if the receiver is not stamped Magnum do not use 3" shells also if you have a Magnum receiver the ser.# will end with an M.
You can purchase a new barrel just for the convenience of the Rem choke system (interchangeable choke tubes).
Old January 9, 2002, 06:24 AM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Edward, various internals differ between the 2 3/4" receivers and the 3" jobs. It can be changed, I had one done, but it requires money or a gunsmith buddy that owes you a favor. I went with Plan B.