The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
WVsig

New Birthday Present from the Wife It's Italian......

So I was talking about starting to shoot sporting clays. I am more of a pistol and AR15 guy but there is a new sporting clays range in the area. So my wife bought this for me for my birthday! It is a Beretta Silver Pigeon I O/U.

So I now need to pickup a case or 2 of shells. It is a 12 guage with a 30" barrel. I also need to know what is the preferred choke shell combinations that people use. What do most people shoot for sporting clays? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WVsig; January 4, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old January 4, 2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Eazyeach

I can't help with your question but that's a fine looking firearm. And might I add your wife is definitely a keeper.
Old January 4, 2017, 05:31 PM   #3
FITASC

What chokes will depend on your ammo and the target presentations. For most non-registered, "let's just go have some fun" shooting, IC/LM or IC/M or similar will cover 95% or better. For registered tournament targets where the degree of difficulty is elevated, LM/M is a good starting point with a C or SK for that 1 or 2 stations with really close stuff and a IM for that one "separator" station a lot of target setters like to throw in.

Hope that gun fits you well; remember DO NOT AIM, sporting clays is all about pointing the gun, utilizing the proper lead and keeping your focus on the target, NOT your barrel or its sight.

ENJOY!

(And yeah, she's a keeper)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2017, 05:47 PM   #4
shootniron

NICE!
Old January 4, 2017, 06:08 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
What chokes will depend on your ammo and the target presentations. For most non-registered, "let's just go have some fun" shooting, IC/LM or IC/M or similar will cover 95% or better. For registered tournament targets where the degree of difficulty is elevated, LM/M is a good starting point with a C or SK for that 1 or 2 stations with really close stuff and a IM for that one "separator" station a lot of target setters like to throw in.

Hope that gun fits you well; remember DO NOT AIM, sporting clays is all about pointing the gun, utilizing the proper lead and keeping your focus on the target, NOT your barrel or its sight.

ENJOY!

(And yeah, she's a keeper)
Thanks for the info. I am going to go over and get them to introduce me to the sport. The gun is stock but will have to be fit to me. She did the research and knew that would be the case. The dealer she bought it from told her to go to the local club and shoot the gun. Have their "stock guy", he said every good club will have a "stock guy", fit the gun to me once he sees me shoot. I am short so no off the shelf gun was going to fit me right out of the box.
Old January 4, 2017, 07:09 PM   #6
FITASC

http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/what-is-sporting-clays-2/

http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/instructors-2/

http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/instructional-videos/

All good links from the NSCA, which is the main governing body for sporting clays in the US and Canada
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Blindstitch

That's going to make hitting sporting clays a lot easier than an AR pistol.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:33 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
That's going to make hitting sporting clays a lot easier than an AR pistol.
LOL yeah it tough with the 223 round.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:49 PM   #9
FITASC

It's tough enough with a oz of 8s...........................
Old January 5, 2017, 01:48 AM   #10
b.thomas

Ic on the bottom barrel and mod on the top................load up a one to one and a eight ounce load of either 7 1/2 or 8's, and your good to go!

* by the way.......nice shotgun!
Old January 5, 2017, 11:13 AM   #11
TJB101

Nice looking gun ... mount that one above the fireplace
Old January 5, 2017, 02:57 PM   #12
BoogieMan

Thats a fine looking gun and Beretta tends to stand up to the abuse of sporting clays well. I shoot Beretta 28" SA with a IC or Mod and 7-1/2. You will have to find your groove. Some guys like more spread and some want to tighten up. Pleanty of guys at my local club shoot 28g with an IC /M combo and can easily out shoot me with a 12. As the saying goes, if you put the shot on target it doesnt matter what you use. Some days I cant miss, other days I dont have that problem.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 6, 2017, 01:03 AM   #13
Targa

WOW!!!
Old January 7, 2017, 01:11 PM   #14
dreaming

Don't jump the gun on fitting the gun. Until you develop your mount, it is impossible to fit a gun to you. Unless it is a terrible fit as is, leave it alone and put your money into lessons with a good shooting coach. Depending on how short you are, you may need to have the LOP cut, but don't do it unless the LOP is clearly too long as is. I don't know that every club has a good stock guy.

Last edited by dreaming; January 7, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 7, 2017, 07:41 PM   #15
FITASC

LOP isn't the only stock dimension coming into play. Stock grip type can make a big difference, as can thickness of the comb, drop at comb, drop at heel, cast, pitch, etc., etc. While a good coach MAY be able to help, a true stock fitter WILL be able to help.
Old January 7, 2017, 08:04 PM   #16
dreaming

I didn't realize that I seemed to be saying that LOP was the only dimension to consider changing. I meant to suggest that it may be something to do before one is ready for a complete fitting, if the gun is way too long for them. In such a case, I would be careful not to cut too much.

My point wasn't that a good coach can fit one, but shouldn't the coach be able to teach you basics and how to develop a solid, repeatable mount and isn't that mount necessary to develop before being fit?
Old January 7, 2017, 08:12 PM   #17
FITASC

He SHOULD, but if your gun doesn't fit, AND he cannot address that issue, how can he teach you a good mount when one doesn't exist?

Unlike tactical guns, sporting guns (hunting or targets) need to fit........it must be seamless and done without thinking or concentrating on it so one can focus on the target.
Old January 8, 2017, 12:39 PM   #18
dreaming

I don't know the answer, but have been told that you can't properly fit a gun until you develop your mount, but the other side of the coin is some say that you can't fully develop a mount if the gun doesn't fit. Go figure.
Old January 10, 2017, 01:14 PM   #19
FITASC

The gun needs to fit you, you do not fit yourself to the gun. Therefore, the gun must fit first before bad form and habits get ingrained.............
Old January 10, 2017, 08:58 PM   #20
dreaming

I think it is a chicken and an egg thing. Says OSP (Gil Ash)
Quote:
We have even seen a persons’ gun fit change dramatically as their move and mount improves. https://ospschool.com/sample-knowled...es/101-gun-fit
That may be why John Taylor writes,
Quote:
Any gun fitter worth his salt will tell you that a gun cannot be fitted unless you possess a good, consistent mount.

Read more: http://www.gundogmag.com/training/fi...#ixzz4VPinFXHy
But I agree that, as finances allow, it may be better to fit a gun to some degree and that degree may depend on the shooter, even though their mount is in development. For example, I know of a very good and very short shooter. It would be extremely difficult for him to develop his mount were he forced to shoot an off the rack Citori without having its LOP trimmed.
Old January 24, 2017, 11:53 AM   #21
Arizona Fusilier

1. Fantastic gun, congratulations!

2. IC/M is the 90% solution for a lot of shotgunning, and a good starting point.

3. I think there's no harm in getting the LOP to a reasonable, shootable length before more in-depth analysis. Just don't overdo it.
Old January 25, 2017, 09:07 PM   #22
ShootistPRS

That is a very nice gun! to make it work for you do yourself a favor and have the gun fit to you. Shotguns, even the inexpensive ones, will show better accuracy and more comfort when they are fitted to the shooter. Find a smith in the area that does this and budget the cost. It will make a remarkable difference in how you perform and the respect you have for the gun.
Old January 28, 2017, 04:05 PM   #23
lunger

WOW! Got to get me a new wife.
Old January 28, 2017, 05:14 PM   #24
ShootistPRS

A new gun is cheaper than a new wife...