The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Old 454

Babbit....what do I have?

I have a welder friend who gave me some Babbitt

I have 5 4lb bars that are marked "GENERAL PURPOSE BABBITT METAL"
Made by the Gardiner Metal Co. Chicago Ill. there is no other markings on it, When I drop this on cement it will "thunk" like lead. I believe this to be some sort of lead based Babbitt, but I have tried to Google this company and Babbitt type and no luck.

The other Babbitt I have is long triangle bars that are just marked "BAB" but these will make a ringing sound when dropped on concrete, I think this is a type of tin based Babbitt. I have some where around 30 LBS of this type Babbitt.

SO I guess the triangle bars are some type of mystery Babbitt, but is any one familiar with the other Babbitt ?

Thanks
Old October 2, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

Large sleave bearingts !!

In a previous life, we used Babbitt to repair or re-babbit sleeve bearings on large electric motors. Basically it's what is in large sleeve bearing. It's not pure lead and the exact composition, varies ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(metal)

Be Safe !!!
Old October 2, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Old 454

Well I think this company is out of business, 4820 S Campbell st Chicago Ill, is a vacant lot. This must be a some pretty old bars of Babbitt.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Old 454

I think I found what I have that is marked general purpose Babbitt.

Babbitt ASTM-2 Grade (General Purpose)
89% tin 7.5% antimony 3.5% Copper

6-7 pound ingot $205.00

Well I have 5 4LB ingots of this stuff, now got to figure out how to reduce the copper in it.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:55 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I was going to say that babbit generally has a high copper content, but it looks like you pulled up a good estimate of the alloy.

You can put that copper to use, if you like heat-treating or quenching. Copper works the same as arsenic in antimonial lead alloys, with just slightly higher concentrations than you would have with arsenic. (If you used 0.25% arsenic, you would want to bump that to about 0.28-0.30% for copper.)
Old October 3, 2013, 04:16 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Babbitt ASTM-2 Grade (General Purpose)
89% tin 7.5% antimony 3.5% Copper
With what you have there I might take say 2# of it and mix it in with around 100# of pure. you would end up with close to the following,
1.75% Sb-Tin / .15% Sn-Ant / .07% Cu-Copper / 98% Pb-Lead

This would yield 102# of alloy estimated hardness of 9.2 BHN according to the calculator I use. This would be a decent all around alloy for velocities up to around 1000fps depending on just what your loading it in. For 38SPL and 45 ACP and Colt loads your set.

So your main thing with this stuff is that it is tin laden which isn't a bad thing considering the price of pure tin nowadays. I would use it as that in what ever you plan on blending up and not even sweat the other alloys. The only one that might even come close to messing with your hardness will be the Sn and even that will be way lower than what you figure if your using it in .5oz or so pieces to sweeten up pure or WW with.

To be honest you hit the jack pot with this score. Sort of like me when a co-worker gave me 16 rolls of 95/5 solder. The 5% is silver but it hasn't hurt anything that I have used it in.

If you download the calculator from Castboolits, you can input the alloy you have down at the bottom in the Custom alloy section. Then if you save it , you can simply add in what ever amounts you want to the rest of the fields and figure somewhat closely what your going to end up with.

Hope this helps.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Old 454

I probly have about some where in the neighbor hood of about 120 LBS. of pure lead and I want to mix it up to make Lyman #2.
Old October 4, 2013, 04:25 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

If you give me a day or two i will shoot you the basic recipe on getting the pure close to L-2 if you want.

I have to head out of town for a day or so first (pulling out in a few) so I will get to it when I get home. If you haven't found the calculator page yet here is the link,
Lead Alloy Calculators

Read though some of the post and you will find they are easy to use and you can also input your own alloy if you know the make up.