The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 23, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
SauerGrapes

I'm a bit baffled.

I've been in the market for a 28ga sporter O\U. I'm patient looking for a fair\good deal. I finally found what I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble getting the seller to commit to a time and place to do the transfer.
His first response to my posting, ''I take it", was, ''I really hate to sell this.''

We've chit chatted back and forth, but when I ask him to figure a time and place, he asked me, "you need ammo?'' or "do you hunt?''
What the heck is that all about?

This has been going on for 4 days now. I'm hesitant to back out, but I'm getting a little PO'ed. I'm about to cut him loose.

I don't want to be the bad guy, but......
I think I've got a case of sellers remorse on my hands. Anybody else ever run into this?

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 23, 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Give it one more try. Don't "converse," just ask for a date and time to meet and complete the transaction. If you get any more beating around of shrubbery, just ask straight out: "Look, do you want to sell the gun or not? I answered a For Sale ad and I'm ready to buy. If you don't want to sell it, say so and I'll look elsewhere."

There's no way you're the bad guy if a seller is jerking your chain. He may perceive you that way but, if so, that's his problem.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
BLUETIP

I totally agree with aguila blanca, and yes i have run into it twice. Once on a .45 colt s&w mountain wheel gun and another time on a performance center piece. Never ended up with either one.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Nnobby45

I think I might say something like, "Look, I understand you're having trouble deciding if you want to part with it, but after 4 days, I need to know one way or the other, if you're going to sell it to me and set the time and place."
Old October 23, 2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Scorch

Sure, people get attached to inanimate object like guns and cars all the time. So if the seller still balks, tell him to call you when he's ready to sell.

I once traded a Ruger M77 to a friend's father for a BAR (mainly because the Ruger shot really well and the BAR did not). A week later, he wanted his BAR back, said I had taken advantage of him. I said OK, let's just go back to the start, you give me my Ruger and I'll give you back the BAR. Oh, no, he was in love with the Ruger, but he would trade me a 308 HK for the BAR (I assumed it was a HK91). I thought it was a little weird because an HK91 was worth more, but what the heck, sure. Turns out the HK was a HK 770 semiauto sporting rifle, not an HK91 like I expected. When I mentioned this, he threw in $100 in boot, so I shrugged my shoulders and said OK (the HK was easily worth $1,000 at the time, as opposed to about $500 for the BAR). He was just attached to the BAR, I guess.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:33 AM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
A week later, he wanted his BAR back, said I had taken advantage of him.
First off, that's really sad and since he LIKED the Ruger very unfair.

It does point out the borderline irrational attachment some folk have for their firearms. (No one here of course.) And a reminder that if you're dealing with folks you are going to be seeing on a regular bases you have to realize there's a 'social' side to the transaction too.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Stressfire

Quote:
A week later, he wanted his BAR back, said I had taken advantage of him.
I know the feeling, I bought an AR-15 from my FiL about 3 weeks ago. He hasn't had a kind word to say to me since I don't think he regrets selling it, I do think he regrets selling it for the price he did.

In your case, at least it's a stranger. I'd do as Aguila suggested - ask straight out what he wants to do.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
SauerGrapes

Good news! I actually decided to leave him alone for a couple days. I figured I'd let him ask when I wanted the gun.
Low and behold a couple hours ago he asked me when I wanted to pick it up!

I feel bad for him. He's being forced to get out of shooting due to a severe hearing problem. I figured I'd let him take his time.
He told me, this was one of his favorite shotguns. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks guys,

R.I.P.____Murphy