The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 1, 2012, 06:37 PM   #51
allaroundhunter

Quote:
How would you identify an intruder?
How would I identify an intruder? With my flashlight.

This father did correctly identify a threat, and reacted accordingly. It is not his job to determine who is under the mask, just to determine whether the masked man is a threat or not. He did, and he reacted as most any logical person would.

I am very sorry and empathetic for the father.....this is about as bad as a "good shoot" can get.

Quote:
Let me just say this, and I'm inviting a WORLD of poo on myself here but here goes.

OC spray, I've been hit with it to get certified for an armed security job which I ended up not taking. It SUCKS and is almost immediately debilitating.
While OC spray can be a viable option in some situations, when you are being attacked by an armed assailant is not the time nor the place to deploy it if you have better options (like a firearm).
Old October 1, 2012, 07:45 PM   #52
Conn. Trooper

There was a home invasion/rape in the area a few weeks prior. It was in the news and the area was on edge.

This town has constables that work under the Resident Trooper. I do not believe they are a full 24 hour department. Sadly, we are it in the rural areas of CT, there are no sheriffs, and few towns in the sticks have 24 hour coverage. People in these areas know this, and know that help can be a long time coming. One of the patrols at my Troop is almost 45 minutes from one end to the other. I don't know if that is what happened here, I am purely speculating.

The kid did have a knife, and was in a black ski mask. I have spoken to the major crime squad guys. From what they told me, it appears to be as reported in the news. A tragedy all around.