The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
willmc33

Help with matte Stainless finish on a Smith & Wesson?

I have a Smith & Wesson 5906 thats bead blasted finish has finally got some smooth spots and small scratches. I heard you can use steel wool to clean up the finish like new and keep it matte. Any truth and can anybody tell me what I need and the process please?
Old June 8, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

No, you can't.
The bead blasted areas will have to be refinished by bead blasting to match. Gun refinishing should not be attempted by the uninitiated. You have much more to lose than gain.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Also, NEVER use steel wool on a stainless or aluminum gun.
Tiny particles of the steel will embed into the metal and will rust later, ruining the surface.

The only practical way to restore a bead blasted gun is to have it bead blasted again.
As another "watch-out' make VERY sure the bead blaster is one that's been used to blast ONLY stainless or aluminum, OR clean it out and re-fill it with new blast media.
If you use a blaster that's been used to blast carbon steel, again, tiny particles of the carbon steel will be embedded into the metal and will rust.

These is one way to "sort of" touch up a small scratch on a bead blasted surface and that's to lay a piece of wet or dry metal type sand cloth on the area and tap it with a small hammer. After every tap, lift and move the cloth to keep a fresh part on the area.
This will mimic bead blasting to a lesser extent, just enough to make a scratch less noticeable,.
Old June 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
gsmith711

if its bead blasted only way is to bead blast . but if its a brushed stainless like many are you can use the 3m scotchbrite pads the grey ones works great on stainless much better then steel wool. gl