The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #26
ritepath

If not for the better build quality of the LCP then choose it for the slide lock. It may not lock open on last round but at least you can manually lock it open.

Mine has beed solid with over 1k rounds so far. Only two FTF's in that time using steel cased cheap stuff and FMJ brass. I've only shot about 50 federal hydro shoks and no other HP's.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:28 PM   #27
johnny red

I was lookin at the lcp and the p3at, then I saw a hellcat made by inter ordnance. Did some research on the hellcat and decided to buy it. Got it for 200.00, the extractor broke sent it back to inter ordnance and had it back in 4 days. Since then I have put 100 rounds thru it without any problems at all.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:28 PM   #28
TennJed

If $ is tight consider the Taurus TCP. I picked up one this week for $199 new in box, from the local bix box store Sportsman's Wharehouse. Taurus is selling them at a lower price with 1 mag only (vs the standard 2)

I have a kel Tec p3at that has approx. 1000 flawless rounds. At $199 I could not pass up getting the Taurus also.

The TCP has a much better trigger, better feel in the hand, and a last shot slide lock on it. Hope I will get a chance to shoot it or the first this weekend. If it is as reliable as my P3AT, it will be a heck of a deal.

I also think the P3AT is a good choice. Mine is flawless and pretty accurate or what it is.

I do not have any experience in the LCP
Old January 12, 2012, 12:17 AM   #29
mohead10

kel-tec PF9

This is the best IMO! my son was with the 10th mountain DIV. he took his pf9 on three combat tours. it saved his life more than ounce. when he came home he gave it to me. I work on the road alot. it carrys good,shoots good,and it's american made.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Locoweed

I own three P3ATs and have had them since they first came out. Never a problem with any of them and I carry in my strong side front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. After the Ruger LCP became well established I liked the more finished look and picked one up and started carrying it. I could immediately notice the slight weight difference. My LCP bites my trigger finger while the P3ATs don't. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either pistol and have found them both reliable and as accurate as their miniature sights allow. They both disassemble the same. In the end it's all a matter of eye appeal.
Old January 12, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
hangglider

What's the mission? If you want a go-anywhere anytime ultralight conceal that is ready to go in either hand with just a quick trigger pull for close-in point-and-shoot--I think you will like the LCP just fine. I've sent about 100 rounds of Rem JHP and Glaser powrball through it without any kind of hiccup. You'll swear your wallet is getting lighter as you fire it--the only drawback I can think of.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:47 PM   #32
chilton1990

I will have the 380 with me just about all the time. I've been leaning towards the LCP. It looks more refined to me. I'm not too sure about the Taurus either, I hear a lot of mixed reviews there. The only thing that really turns me towards the Taurus is the last round hold open.
Old January 12, 2012, 07:22 PM   #33
chilton1990

A friend of mine tells me that .380 is way too underpowered for a CCW. However, I want something as small as I can go without being a Derringer, or a tiny 2 shot deep-concealment gun. I was thinking about a snubby, maybe an LCR or something. An LCP would be so much easier to conceal compared to a revolver though.
Old January 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #34
chilton1990

How do I make a poll on the forum? I think that would be a better way to figure this out...
Old January 12, 2012, 09:45 PM   #35
seed

Old January 12, 2012, 09:46 PM   #36
seed

Everyone is lauding the LCP over the P3AT, but no one has mentioned the pin-drift in the LCP's. They tend to walk when you fire the gun - sometimes badly in some examples. I've experienced some pin walking in mine, but I just live with it. This does not happen in my P3AT.

Another difference is the one-pound stronger recoil spring in the Kel Tec. The LCP spring might be weaker because the slide is heavier...I'm not sure. I replaced the springs in mine to match the weight of the KT springs because the LCP felt a little snappier to me and to my friend. Reliability has not been negatively affected (still 100% in a relatively low-round count).

I like the trigger of the LCP better (the actual trigger...not necessarily the pull of it) as it is smoother with less of a point on the bottom. This can be easily fixed on the KT, however and won't affect the warranty.

And finally, the nice looking grip of the LCP is actually a minus as it is too smooth for the gun that wants to jump out of your hand. That ugly rough grip of the KT serves a very valuable purpose.

In the end, I actually think the Kel Tec is the better way to go, if you find one that is 100% reliable. Even if you don't, you can get it there with some easy work and or a trip to KT. There are further differences you might consider, but they tend to wash out each other. For instance, I do like the slide hold back of the LCP, but then I prefer the design of the extractor set up of the Kel Tec which does not employ the roll pin. I like the more refined look of the Ruger, but then I like the changes made in the 2nd gen KT which were learned from lessons of the first gen (which the Ruger copies and inherits some of the "mistakes"... i.e. the too deep screwing of the extractor pin (if I remember correctly) which you can see on the underside of the slide...not a big deal, but still a mistake KT has fixed). So there's some more food for thought. Good luck!
Old January 13, 2012, 09:03 AM   #37
TheFineLine

I've had my LCP for a year and a half or so. I've put several hundred rounds of varying types of ammo thru it with no failures. Go Ruger.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:44 AM   #38
hangglider

Go to your local store and actually try them out. For me, the small narrow size of the LCP fits the bill for what I was looking for--something that can be reasonably concealed in lightweight summer and sports grade clothing. The "slipperiness" can be seen as a downside in grips--though I see it as a plus in quick unholstering and/or drawing through a fabric pocket. I just looked at my guide and it looks to me there are actually three frame pins (2 x 29's and a 31), though none of mine show the slightest sign of budging. On the other hand, metal on plastic does concern me--I'll keep an eye on it. As for grip in firing the only issue I've had is learning to steady the gun properly for point and shoot while pulling the fairly long trigger pull--this is not a grip or recoil issue IMO. I'm a rookie--YRMV
Old January 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #39
TacticalDefense1911

Old January 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #40
fender1974

Ruger LCP

For a lightweight CCW pistol, there is nothing that I don't like about my LCP. Accurate (for what it is meant for), dependable and although it may be a little "snappy" when firing, it's not bad at all.

Tags
ccw , kel-tec , lcp , p3at , ruger