The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2011, 02:37 PM   #1
rbf420

Shot Shell question

so im starting to reload shot shells and was reading up on how to distinguish cases for loading and how certain cases do not correspond with certain data... please tell me if the following assumption is correct.

the main difference between cases is the base wad, either the size of the base wad or if it is of one piece construction. If they are the same size base wads or they are one piece construction, they can be used with the load data in my book corresponding to their base wad. so if i have federal cases that i find to have no base wad and are one piece, i can use all the same data in cases with no base wads, and use the data in the book labeled one piece plastic cases, etc.

Main question being, i have Fiocchi 3" shells, if they have no base wad I could use the "Federal plastic one piece case" load data. Im using the lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading book.

Sorry if the question in unclear, im slightly boggled at taking on shotshell reloading and hoping in didnt bite off more than i can chew, thanks for the help!
Old December 27, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
gspman

RBF I would not assume that you could do that.Seems my lyman manual has pictures of cutaways of different hulls that has been helpfull identifying them.Use reload info exactly even primer.I would believe that after know exactly which fiiochi hull that you have you could find load info for.If cant then get another hull that can get info on that has loads for your purpose.Shotshell reloading is great fun but need to follow recipes exactly.GSPMAN
Old December 27, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Bailey Boat

Substituting cases isn't a wise move. The internal capacities can and do vary which will have some effect on the performance and safety. Stick to the EXACT receipe and be more certain of what you're making....
Old December 27, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Get the lyman shotshell reloading box or read it in the library. It has pictures of the various cases. As noted each brand has a different internal capacity and requires different components such as wads.
Old December 27, 2011, 04:52 PM   #5
oneounceload

Actually, that is only one difference - the other is the hull itself - they are either tapered or straightwall. Fiocchi, like federal, is a straightwalled hull, and you need to use wads designed for that type. You do NOT want to use wads designed for tapered hulls, as you will get powder migration past the wad and incomplete ignition, resulting in bloopers, bad pressures, lousy results, etc.

The top of the line federal hulls (like the Gold Medal) are good for reloading, their promo hulls are trash - most Fiocchis also fall into the trash category - you might succeed in getting one, MAYBE two reloads before discarding
Old December 27, 2011, 06:24 PM   #6
medalguy

I haven't reloaded shotshells in many years, but the rule ALWAYS has been DON'T SUBSTITUTE ANYTHING.