The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1
TennJed

Help!!! Setting up Lee Classic turret. Indexing not lining up

I am having some trouble setting up my new Lee Classic Turret. It would not align correctly while indexing. I took out the indexing rod and turret and adjusted it with a 1/4" wrench which was suggested on a video on Lee's website.

I can get it to line up, but after a few pulls (about 5 or 6) It "misses" on a die and then lines ok on the next pull.

Why can't I get it to line up on every pull?

Also what is this piece. It was loose in the packaging and I cannot find where it goes. It looks like it would fit in the turret where the indexing rod goes, but I only have one and my extra turrets did not come with one. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2501.jpg (243.2 KB, 136 views)
Old June 16, 2011, 09:36 PM   #2
cracked butt

Thats a spare indexing cam. It sits inside the plastic indexing housing on the back of the ram. Save it in case the original gets twisted or worn.

Make sure you run the ram all the way down or it might not index properly. You might have to fine tune the indexing adjustment a bit.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:40 PM   #3
higgite

On the ram, just below the shell holder, is a plastic collar that the indexing rod fits through. On the bottom side of that plastic collar is a small square plastic piece like the one in your pic. The indexing rod fits through the small plastic piece. That is what indexes the turret. The extra one is a replacement for when you bugger up the original. It sounds like the original one is already buggered up. When you replace it, carefully note which side is up and which side is down.

Also, don't try to manually advance the turret with the ram all the way down. Raise the ram far enough to disengage the indexing collar from the twisted portion of the indexing rod. Otherwise, you will bugger up the little square plastic piece. Hope this helps.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

My guess

That is the "Square Ratchet". You are correct in its function. Lee Precision sells them in pairs for a dollar per pair. When I bought my press, they included a spare. They break if and when you put too much pressure on the indexing rod. Better to break a 50 cent piece than the Six Dollar indexing arm (in which the Square Ratchet is housed).

Quote:
Why can't I get it to line up on every pull?
My first guess would be an incomplete stroke.

Is it possible you are getting less than full rotation because of "short stroking" the ram? A short stroke usually is the cause of breaking the square ratchet, but sometimes you get lucky. Also, the square ratchet is supposed to drag lightly on the indexing rod so that, as the ram pulls down, the ratchet engages corners molded on the inside the indexing arm, forcing the turning of the rod. A continuous, full stroke of the ram is important, if not essential.

Also, try these threads:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=568030
or this one
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-487742.html

I took my spare and put it on the indexing rod, way up at the top, where it is not in the way and I won't lose it.

If a short stroke is not the cause, you might try some Lock-Tite (the non-permanent kind) on the square nut at the end of the indexing rod, if the problem is caused by that nut rotating out of position.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 16, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
lamarw

I am sure Lost Sheep and the rest of the crew can get you going with your auto-indexing.

I will share my experience. I bought the regular Lee turret press (not the classic) before I bought my Lee Classic. There is a world of difference between the two.

I spent more time trying to keep the Lee regular turret adjusted than I did reloading. I was buying the square plastic donuts by the dozen. Finally, I disconneted the auto-indexing feature and started manually moving the turret.

About a year later, I bought the Lee Classic and had no problems with the auto index. The issue for me was shifting between the two presses. I finally decided to disconnect the Classic turret auto-indexing too; therefore I am in sync with both. I do it automatically, and my hands just move between the turret and the shell casing box and the bullet box. My speed of reloading is not bad at all, and I am just more comfortable with moving the turret by hand.

I am not recommending my process, but it does work for me.
Old June 17, 2011, 06:37 AM   #6
darkgael

manual

Quote:
I disconnected the auto-indexing feature and started manually moving the turret.
Yep. +1.....that's exactly what I did.
Pete
Old June 17, 2011, 07:30 AM   #7
wingman

I expect the original poster damaged the ratchet, I did on my first set up so I purchased a dozen as I seen the ratchet as a flaw in the system however I installed back up ratchet and following instructions set it properly and that ratchet still remains in setup after 4 years never had to use the dozen I purchased,alas the flaw was between my ears.
Old June 18, 2011, 05:28 PM   #8
duelist1954

Thanks Guys,

I ordered a new ratchet. I've been using this press heavily for a year now, and, up until this week, it was fine. I must have damaged it somehow.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:59 PM   #9
Jim243

Ok guys, clean the turrets and inside where they turn, then use a little 3in1 oil on the sides of each revolving turret. Your indexing will improve dramaticly. Also clean your rams with the same oil and your work will go smoother.

Jim
Old June 19, 2011, 07:27 AM   #10
wingman

Quote:
Ok guys, clean the turrets and inside where they turn, then use a little 3in1 oil on the sides of each revolving turret. Your indexing will improve dramaticly. Also clean your rams with the same oil and your work will go smoother.

Jim
Excellent advice I use small amount of gun butter on turrets does wonders.
Metal to metal contact always needs lube.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
springer99

I've found that using Hornady dry-lube on my LCT press parts works better than oil or grease. It dries easily and then doesn't tend to pick up the normal powder and primer residue that oil and grease will collect. I'd bet that any other "dry-lube" would work as well here. YMMV
Old June 19, 2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Eazmo

Quote:
Excellent advice I use small amount of gun butter on turrets does wonders.
Metal to metal contact always needs lube.
lube is your friend,
Lee instructions says use motor oil on ram,links and turrets.

just a couple drops and stays clean. cover press with trash bag when not using to keep crud out.
Old June 21, 2011, 07:49 AM   #13
unknwn

When I resurrected a poorly cared for RCBS press I sprayed a product marketed by Birchwood Casey called Barricade on all of the exposed metal (unpainted) parts. The carrier evaporates leaving a waxy coating that doesn't attract anything.
That press functions MUCH smoother than it's previous care should ever have allowed for.
When I called RCBS looking for advice on protecting powder handling equipment they wouldn't endorse ANY product for use on the exposed bare metal of thier products during use. I had to look elsewhere to care for my reloading tools.
I am currently waiting for a can of Hornady One-Shot cleaner/dry lube to use on all of the dies and powder measurement parts.
I have had to fix some other poorly cared-for reloading tools, and wanted to protect bare metal from corrosion.
A Hornady video indicated to me that this product will NOT be problematic when in contact with powder, so I am shelling out the $8.00+ to Midway so that my valuable tools are protected against the insidious problem of corrosion.