The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 22, 2011, 07:36 PM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
i was just wondering why you chose a long gun instead of a pistol. taking the kids into concideration it would be a lot easier to find hiding space for a pistol than a shotgun
not to mention, strictly worst case possible, if BG picked up a kid to stop you from shooting him, it would be much more possible to put one in his shoulder
Eh... I can see your point about hiding the gun being easier, but it's alot easier to aim the long-barreled shotgun with a slug in it than it is to aim a pistol. I would prefer not to be in that situation either way. If it is the mans first gun, I think he made a good decision going with the shotty. Shotguns are much more utilitarian, and can be used for big game, bird, and home defense hunting. Great choice.

One viable method for childproofing a gun that is cheap, quickly accesible, and effective, is to use a zip tie. Get the strongest zip tie that you can break with your hands. It should hurt when you break it, but you'll be able to. Loop that the same method as using the cable lock. You will not have to fumble with keys, but a child simply will not be able to cycle the gun because a child can't break the zip tie. Make sure all sharps are out of childs reach, as a pair of adult scissors can make the zip tie go bye bye quick. I do recommend the gun being out of the childs reach except at night.
Old March 23, 2011, 01:11 PM   #27
markj

Quote:
I plan on stowing in the top of my closet, which is high and elevated
Wall mount over the bed? Like the old fireplace hangers. I want to do this but the wife says no so mine is under the bed loaded with empty chamber in 12 ga. Since mine has a rifled barrel I keep sabots in it, also works when a deer gets into the garden right behind the bedroom window country livin
Old March 23, 2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

As far as kids go, I would not rely on their (alleged) inability to lift the gun, cycle the action, figure XYZ out, etc. They're clever little buggers. I think loading at night and unloading in the morning sounds like a good idea. Besides, the more you do this, the more familiar you will become with the workings of the shotgun.

One other consideration on the "kids and long guns and handguns" issue is this: It may be easier to find a hiding spot for a handgun, but if a young'un gets hold of a handgun, it's also easier for them to look down the barrel and reach the trigger at the same time.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:22 PM   #29
irish52084

I won't tell you how to keep it stored, because every child is different and each situation is different.

What I will say is this, train with the shotgun! The shotgun is a tool that requires good training to be proficient with. Pattern your 870 with whatever load you will use for home defense and know how it patterns out to the point where it won't keep all pellets center mass. Beyond that range you need to be able to perform a slug change over if you want to engage a threat. Use 00 buck, it is proven and effective. Always be aware of your foreground and background and have a home defense plan. The plan may not always be perfect when it's "go time", but better to have some plan then none at all.
Old March 29, 2011, 01:23 AM   #30
freenokia

In my opinion, tactically speaking, I would hang it above the door in the closet...one nail through the trigger guard & one to support the barrel. Obviously, with something inside of the trigger guard it might be a really really really really really really REALLY good idea to not keep a round chambered. Besides, the sound of racking the pump is enough to put down ten men by itself
Old March 29, 2011, 10:05 AM   #31
BRE346

Old memory

Years ago I visited a friend who ran a pawn-shop. We got to talking robbers and robbery.
He brought out something like a Mossberg 500 and racked it. One time. Loud. Unforgettable.

Racking a pistol will be heard in the middle of the night in your house. Slipping the safety off might not.

Your choice.