The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Huskerguy

Boat Tail Bullets in 223

I have loaded some 55 Grain FMJ BT bullets with 24.5 grains of Varget powder as a starting load, good results in my Mini and AR.

I am about ready reload some Lake City 62 grain FMJ bullets I picked up at a gun show last weekend. I will use Varget as well on these and try them in my mini, AR and W Bolt.

I also have some Hornady V-Max in 55 Grain I will load for my Winchester bolt.

In looking through my books and on-line data I do not always find BT data. What difference does a BT bullet make versus one that is straight? I also find some 60 and 63 grain data but nothing for a 62 but it is close enough I do not have a concern about that.

Anyone have pet loads for these combinations or can enlighten me on adjustments, if any, for BT bullets? Thanks in advance
Old July 1, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2
wvshooter

I'm no authority having only just recently reloaded my first 223 ammo but my guess is the boat tail on any given bullet has no effect on powder loads used. The boat tail bullet will retain it's speed a little better than a non BT bullet because it's more aerodynamic. However, velocity at the muzzle should be identical for BT and non BT bullets of the same weight sitting atop the same amount of powder.

The 223's I just reloaded were Sierra Game King 65 grain and they are a BT design. I used Lake City brass, CCI magnum primers and 25 grains of Reloader 15. I've got three or four manuals and I think I used data from my Speer book for a 62 grain spitzer point bullet they make.

Hopefully we'll hear from an expert.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Edward429451

Let's face it, it's almost impossible to match a recipe exactly with what you have without making the list and chasing down specific componants. That's why God made starting loads. Get similar with the bullet data as close as you can and apply very much common sense. Either the 60 or 63 grain data would be good to use for the 62's as long as you use the starting load. Loosely speaking heavier bullets take less powder and lighter bullets take more powder. You should be able to confirm this by looking at the 60 & 63 gr data and referencing the same powder in each.

Once you shoot some then you'll know more. Better yet if you can chrono your loads, because theres been a couple times that I was swagging the data and the starting load gave me max velocities...and if the velocity is there, you can bet the pressure is!
Old July 1, 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

I load for three .223s... usually the flat base data (in my op) is close enough to work up with boat tails also.
Old July 11, 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
dodge

If you look in any loading manual they do not specify between a flat base bullet or one with the boattail. They only show the difference between bullet weights. The boattail bullet will generally shoot a little flatter than the flat base. It's what your rifle likes the best as to what I would be shooting. I have rifles that like the boattail better and some that like the flat base best.

Last edited by dodge; July 11, 2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: more information
Old July 12, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6
demigod

Off topic... but I avoid those SS109 bullets due to the funky Ogive. I HATE having to reset my bullet seating die to accomodate a very mediocre bullet.