The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 22, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
madcratebuilder

Some new Swiss rifles

I've picked up two new to me Swiss rifles in the past two months. Got a good deal on this K-31 cause the owner was concerned about the galled threads on the muzzle. A die well clean that right up. Have a brake coming and moved my Weaver K4 on to it, cleaned up pretty nice for an older rifle, 1943, walnut.

After clean up.

Rest of the crew

Old May 22, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
HvyMtl

Sure are pretty. How well do they shoot?

I am thinking one of these is on my get soon list.
Old May 22, 2010, 09:56 PM   #3
madcratebuilder

They shoot so well it makes me look good.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Wrothgar

I have one, but I also got all the matching goodies with it too. They're fantastic.

I want to get one to ruin and mount a scope on - they are so stinking accurate and smooth...
Old May 23, 2010, 05:57 AM   #5
UpandAtIt

I have a few K31's and they are by far the most accurate of any Mil-Surp I have ever owned. One of them I got from Hunters Lodge and it was really grungy/dirty and full of gummed up oil/lube. A simple total metal parts Naptha bath and tear down scrub fixed that. After cleaning and at simple bag rest I get 1" groups all day at 100 yards.

The action is a lil odd to get used to, but it is like greased lightening. Triggers are crisp and loading ammo into it is fairly straight forward.

Comparring them to other mil-surps for machining, fit, function is just hands down that the Swiss know how to make firearms. Even the inside wood is smooth and finished.

A decent scope on one of these rifles would make the "Reach out and touch something" factor HUGE. None of mine are scoped but I could just imagine easy 300-500 ysrd shots.

I honestly rec anyone to grab a K31 up as they are becoming harder and harder to get. When I bought mine they were $100 with a hand full of matching accessories. Now I see they are going for $350 and choices of birch or walnut.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:41 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothgar
I want to get one to ruin and mount a scope on
No need to ruin your K, Swiss products and Accumount both make a clamp-on mount that works very well. Swiss Products offers a clamp-on brake and a clamp-on stabilizer, even a recoil pad adopter so you don't alter the original butt stock if you want a recoil pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandAtIt
The action is a lil odd to get used to, but it is like greased lightening. Triggers are crisp and loading ammo into it is fairly straight forward.

Comparring them to other mil-surps for machining, fit, function is just hands down that the Swiss know how to make firearms. Even the inside wood is smooth and finished.
It didn't take me long to get accustomed to the straight pull. After a few trips to the range I actually prefer it to a normal bolt action. Properly greased the straight pull bolt is ultra smooth.

The manufacturing quality is far superior to any other mil-surp I have handled. Pillar like receiver mounting, floated barrel with stock tension at the end controlled by different thickness steel plates. I think if these were manufactured today with a modern looking stock they would be well over 1k price wise.

Zfk55, enhanced K-31.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:00 AM   #7
TX Hunter

Nice looking Rifles.
Those keep jumping out at me, and I may some day soon add one to my collection.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Volucris

I love swiss rifles
Old June 3, 2010, 12:16 AM   #9
johnwilliamson062

they still make these and they are available in 308 and a 30-06 single shot. I lost the site. They cost about $3,000. If I was going to spend $3000 on a bolt gun in 308 it would be one of these though.

I picked up a long ago converted k11 last year. Still have to get it out and see how it shoots.
[email protected] <-impoters e-mail

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; June 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:06 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

I've seen a couple of the .308 conversions on Gunbroker. Sure would be interesting to try one.

My Swiss Products brake came yesterday. Very nice piece of work. Finish is perfect, threads well cut, tight fit but not to tight. Installed with some anti-seize and loc-tited the setscrew in place. It pulled up tight with the set screw at six o'clock, got lucky! I checked to runout and it's under .002, I need to make an alignment rod for 7.5, my 7.62 won't do it.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:57 PM   #11
smoakingun

The 7.5mm Swiss cartridge is based on a rimless (.495" rim diameter), bottle neck case with a sharp 30.5 degree shoulder angle. This case is 55mm (2.140") long and, despite its "7.5mm" nomenclature, takes 7.62mm (.308") bullets.

why wont your 7.62 brush do the job?
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
SigP6Carry

You guys make me cry with your awesome swiss rifles... beautiful!
Old June 4, 2010, 05:52 PM   #13
ASUdevil22

I love the K31s...the workmanship and unique design of that straight bolt is rivaled by none. The Swiss were definitely ahead of their time when they made these weapons. And I can't believe how accurate these 60-70 year old surplus rifles can be...with iron sights. I will be purchasing one of these beauties as soon as my resources allow.

Quick question for madcratebuilder...first of all, your rifles look great...curious...what did you use to clean up your stocks? especially towards the grip and butt of the stock.

Thanks!
Old June 5, 2010, 06:58 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

Quote:
why wont your 7.62 brush do the job?
Alignment rod for checking the alignment of the brake.

Quote:
Quick question for madcratebuilder...first of all, your rifles look great...curious...what did you use to clean up your stocks? especially towards the grip and butt of the stock.
First I was lucky to have a rifle without a lot of Beaver gnawing on the butt stock. I discovered that two of my walnut stocks had traces of shellac on them, they are suppose to be oil only. I stripped them with denatured alcohol, then a steel wool and 50/50 mix of BLO and turbine for a finial cleaning. Then it's straight BLO.

1941 K-31

1943 K-31

The 43 rifle had more beavers attack it, you can see some of the dark area at the butt end. It was SOP for the Swiss to rub rifle grease into the wood. The areas were the wood is gnawed can really soak up that grease and be a pain to get really clean.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; June 5, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:22 PM   #15
ASUdevil22

Thanks for the reply madcrate...again, your K31s look great!

I went ahead and bought my first K31 on Saturday...cleaned it up and took it out to the range today. Of course, I haven't started on any of the stock work yet (other than a very basic clean up), but I will follow your approach as it is obvious that you got great results.

As far as the range time...I started at 50 yds and then moved to 100 yds...I can't say enough about how incredible this rifle is. The straight bolt action and consistency in accuracy are astonishing...with surplus ammo and iron sights.

Speaking of that GP11 surplus ammo...really, there is nothing out there that can rival it in its class (military surplus ammo). It's just unfortunate that the casings have Berdan primers...the brass is of very good quality and it would be great to reload those. Thank goodness there is plenty of the ammo still available.

Overall, I am very happy with my latest purchase!
Old June 7, 2010, 06:45 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

I sure would be nice if Berdan primers became available again. I have a 100 rds of Prvi, need 100 more, I'll start reloading it after I run out of GP.

How did you do with the recoil? I start to flinch after 30 rounds or so. I'm putting a pad adapter on one and I have a Galco for the others, sure makes a difference for me. With the added length and reduction in recoil it's much more enjoyable to shoot 80-100 rds.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:26 PM   #17
ASUdevil22

Quote:
How did you do with the recoil? I start to flinch after 30 rounds or so.
I found the recoil to be ok, but I think I am kinda used to taking some abuse on my shoulder. Incidentally, I only fired 30 rounds, since I gotta pace myself with the GP11 supply I initially bought. Plus, I fired about 40 rounds of my 91/30...no bruising, but my shirt did get a little chafed at the shoulder.

Is the Galco one of those leather pads? They are a great look...how are they functionally?

I've thought about the adapter...maybe even the non-threaded muzzle break. Especially since I never get rid of any weapon I buy and eventually I won't be so keen on taking the recoil abuse.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Ignition Override

Excellent job.

A store in Cordova, TN (Memphis), "Classicarms", now has a nice K-31, listed at about $400.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:47 AM   #19
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Is the Galco one of those leather pads? They are a great look...how are they functionally?
The Galco has a Velcro flap and a gel insert. I have the med size and it fit's the K-31, Enfields and Mausers. They show up on evil bay and go for about half of a new one. Nice heavy leather construction, very nice pads.