The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
kamelryttarn

429 HBWC for soft 44 loads

In a few weeks I should receive my T/C Contender and a few different barrels for it. One of the barrels I have ordered is the 14" 44 Magnum. I have already bought some 220 grains copper plated hollow base wadcutters I would like to try in it, but what powder should i try? The load data shows only one powder easily available here in Sweden, and all loads are based on magnum cases fired from a S&W 629 revolver. The data does not indicate if it is starting or max load but I assume it's starting. Since I will have a lot more barrel to play with I would like to try a real slow burning powder, maybe even a fast rifle powder. I am very new to reloading so bare with me here. I plan to use magnum cases and Federal primers. I probably CAN get hold of US brand powders but it will take some extra time since they will have to make a special order, so if you have any different Vihtavuori powder to suggest I would be grateful.

(a few Hodgdon powders are also available in a few stores around here but not all)

http://www.hn-sport.de/geschosse/kur...hollowbase.htm
Old July 26, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
RidgwayCO

VihtaVuori N110 is usually touted as their .44 Magnum powder for full power loads. I'm not sure that's what you want with this bullet, however.

From looking at the data in the link you provided, it looks like you'll want the quicker powders like N320 and N330 with this bullet. With hollow base wadcutters, too much pressure can remove the skirt from the bullet and leave it in the barrel. Not good!

To maximize the performance of your 14" Contender, I'd recommend N110 with a 240-300gr jacketed bullet.

Here's the most recent VihtaVuori loading data:

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...oguide2009.pdf

Enjoy!
Old July 26, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
kamelryttarn

thanks for the info. i have read a bit in the vihtavuori guide but my main concern is the case volume and consequently pressure since the wadcutter is seated all the way in the case there will be a significant reduction in case volume. i have read that this can cause extreme pressure spikes that can even be lethal. the hbwc is a quite unusual bullet so there isn't any data except what H+N provided.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
rc

I would suggest a fast burning pistol powder for .45 ACP. You can probably load .45 acp powder charges in your 44 mag cases with bullets of similar weight and work up a load until you aren't getting a lot of soot on the cases and if you can measure velocity are in the 700 to 900fps range. The problem you have is a very large case volume with a bullet designed for very light loads. Would you have 44 special case? They would work better for hollow base wadcutter loads. rc