The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 3, 2007, 09:48 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Archery sights

Right now upgrading sights on both my compound bows. Putting on....

1. Cobra Archery "Boomslang" 4-pin with xtra wrap on the Liberty I (replaced the crappy "Vital Gear" sight that came on it. :barf: ).
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0047072418095a.shtml

2. Impact Archery "All Terrain" NI-175 single pin pendulum with xtra wrap on the Hoyt Aspen (replacing Copper John "Dead Nuts")
http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/4,4685.htm

What do you use?

P.S. I need help removing the stuck screws holding the Dead Nuts sight frame from the bow riser - they are rusted on. I've tried penetrating oil, heat, tapping/knocking around and can't get them to budge to take this sight off - even stripped an allen wrench - dang I hate non-Torx hex head screws. Any suggestions?

P.P.S. If you live within driving distance, are willing to pick it up in central Okla, and are an NRA or GOA active member, you can have one or both of the Vital Gear or Dead Nuts sights....PM me.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Yithian

If I run into stripped screws, philips or allen, I get a small cutting head for my dremel and carefully/slowly grind a channel into the head across the center.
That usually leaves me with a nice flathead screw with tons of surface area.
Its not like you can reuse the screw anyways.
Between the vibrations of the dremel and the ability to put on more torque that it has ever seen, it always twists right out.
The trick is to not go so deep as to weaken the shaft of the screw... on a flush screw, that isnt an issue.
Old December 4, 2007, 03:22 AM   #3
bushidomosquito

If you trade those screws for stainless or titanium (to shave those precious grams from your bow) and use some copper base grease on the threads they will still come out but only when you want them to.
Old December 4, 2007, 03:29 AM   #4
azsixshooter

Bow hunting is the best passion I've ever had! Rock on Bow Hunters! Fred Bear lives on in all of our hearts!

I shoot open sights, since you asked. I did meet a couple of guys shooting at the range about a month ago who had some $800 - $1000 bows that they let me shoot. Pretty impressive precision, but I like simplicity in bow hunting. If I have to get closer, it only forces me to be a better hunter which is part of the reason I got into bow hunting in the first place. Still, I wouldn't mind having a tricked-out tack-driving compound to shoot for fun.

That dremel idea is a good one, thanks Yithian!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old December 4, 2007, 05:12 AM   #5
king.460

2 bows (Hoyt & PSE). Trophy Ridge on both (1 pendulum/1 single pen).
Old December 4, 2007, 09:15 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Which Trophy Ridge models?

Yithian, you are DA MAN! That's exactly what I needed. I have them both fully stripped now - more like circles than hexes. I will start dremeling my slot screwdriver holes this evening and report back - thanks!
Old December 5, 2007, 02:52 PM   #7
davlandrum

I have a Trophy Ridge Guide Series Matrix 5 pin....but will have something different by next year. I really thought I would like the pins vertical, but didn't think about the fact that it would cover the target at longer ranges. Oh, well - lesson learned.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 5, 2007, 10:42 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Hmm, yeah, I can see the potential problem there with vert. pins.

Yith, worked like a charm (making a slot) - the old sight is now off and the pendulum sight on! This is why god invented the dremel, right here. Thanks again.
Old December 6, 2007, 07:43 AM   #9
hilblly

I have used the dremel on more than one occasion for removing stuck screws in my bow. I own 2 Hoyt compounds.
I purchased a new bow this season. The parallel limb Hoyt. I put the Flashpoint 5 pin on mine and I love it. The housing around the fiber optics is photosensitive. It darkens in bright light and lightens in low light. The pins are well lit by legal shooting time, and if the bow is in the sun and the target is in the shade the pins aren't so darned bright.
Also the pins are .019" which I also like for target and 3D shooting
LOL
Mike
Old December 6, 2007, 11:52 AM   #10
davlandrum

My (faulty) logic on the vertical pins was it would be easy to see if I was torqing or tilting the bow as I as aiming. I won't use a peep and am always looking for that extra little bit of edge.

At the price of sights these days, it gets to be an expensive habit - swapping out sights

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 9, 2007, 11:03 PM   #11
piercfh

What dead nuts sight do you have?

I dont know if you are familiar with these people but I use them all the time, and with very good results.

www.keystonecountrystore.com

I have been shooting a single pin sight forever. I have an old cobra steel pin holder with a tritium gas pin locktite-ed into place. I may upgrade, but it's so simple and works flawlessly.
Old December 10, 2007, 12:23 AM   #12
rantingredneck

Been using an Impact Archery All Terrain for a couple of seasons myself. I like it. The pendulum is accurate out to 40 yds on mine. When the pendulum is fixed in place I've got markers out to 50.

One complaint I have is that the little rubber stopper on mine that locks the pendulum down is hard to move in or out. Takes a good bit of effort actually.
Old December 13, 2007, 08:09 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Cool, RR, that's good to hear. I'm excited about trying out the pendulum. It's got the 3-point adjustment dealy - I figure I'll use two - one for ground level, and one for shooting from a 10-foot stand. I guess I could practice with the third one for use on a 20-foot stand, but I normally don't go that high off the ground.

One thing though, about the Impact pendulum - it sometimes "sticks" a little bit and doesn't swing when you just drop the bow a *little bit* - any suggestions on how to free it up a bit or the type of lube that might make it swing more freely? Or maybe even add a bit more weight to the brass weight that's on there?
Old December 13, 2007, 09:36 PM   #14
rantingredneck

Check to make sure that little rubber stopper is ALL THE WAY up when you want to use it as a pendulum. It can drag on the pendulum even though it looks like it's clear, that's really my only complaint about it. Could try some graphite lubricant on the sides of the pendulum if it's not the stopper that's dragging on yours.

Another thing is you can get some white tape and put it on the adjustment range (facing you) and have all the markers you want. Don't have to just use those three screw down ones that are mounted on it.
Old December 14, 2007, 12:29 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

I just took that stopper thing all the way out - I don't see any need for it. If your bow is level, then it's level and the pin is where it should be, and it you tilt the bow up or down, then it moves accordingly. Maybe I don't fully understand how this sight works just yet.....thanks for your help - I may try some graphite lube on the hinges.

I don't know which Dead Nuts - I thought that that WAS the model - it's the Copper John Brand, "Dead Nuts" model - it came with 5 pins, but I think I just have 4 left.