The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 19, 2000, 12:09 AM   #1
Stephen Ewing

Hello, all. A few years ago, my Dad sent a Garand to a place in, he is certain, South Carolina to have it worked on. The only original piece they sent him back was the receiver, but this rifle is _beautiful_ and shoots better than anybody who's ever picked it up. He wants another and desperately wants the same folks to deal with it, but can't find them. I've checked Shotgun News (where he found them a few years ago) and jouster, but can't find anybody at all in SC either, so can anybody point me in the right direction?

Failing that, I need a contingency plan I can present to a man with a fixation on "green" metal and red wood. Is Mike Smith the guy to talk to in order to make a service grade weapon into a beautiful and accurate weapon? Okay, I know, _all_ Garands are beautiful and accurate, but some are moreso than others,right?

Thanks,

Steve
Old March 19, 2000, 07:54 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Steve, I passed you question and e-mail address along to Doc Lisenby who is in SC. He may very well have done the work and if not may he knows who did. George
Old March 20, 2000, 09:00 PM   #3
Stephen Ewing

Thanks, George. At risk of showing my age: "I tank you, my Fadduh tanks you......"

Steve