The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2005, 08:04 PM   #1
chupps

What to do with my brass?

I'm a new guy and would like to thank all of the forum members that helped me select my S&W model 586. I may shoot 1000 rounds a year, regular 38's and magnums, and I am not a reloader. I do all of my shooting on my farm. I'm not a reloader. I'll feel guilty about throwing my brass away. Is there an alternative to the trash?
Old December 11, 2005, 08:14 PM   #2
.45 Vet

Some venders at gun shows do buy brass, you might also try a local gun-shop that handles re-loading supplies. If they don't buy it they may know of person that could use it. Once fired brass is most always in demand somewhere....
Old December 11, 2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Bullet94

Save it and then sell it.
Old December 11, 2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Lycanthrope

ebay!
Old December 11, 2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

brass

gotta go with the ebay option
Old December 11, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

Yeah. Put the fired brass back into the boxes it came out of, and hang onto them. Sorted brass brings a lot better price than unsorted. When you have about a thousand of one type, put it on ebay or list it in the classifieds here. There's always a market for brass.
Old December 11, 2005, 11:43 PM   #7
rwilson452

Brass

I have found that 2000 .38 brall fit rather nicely in one of those US postal Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes. the cheapest way to mail brass that I have found. So save until you have 2000 then dump them it one box and advertize.
Old December 12, 2005, 12:14 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Less-Horsing-Around-Option

Chupps--If you just want to get RID OF the brass, with no further hassle, take it it with your aluminum cans to a recycler. Most recyclers who buy the cans will buy scrap brass, too. Bring it in, they weigh it, pay you, zing, you're done.

Last time I took brass in I got $36 or so for 4 ice-cream buckets of assorted brass. I didn't have to spend one minute sorting or cleaning this brass, or advertising it or mailing it.

I almost always pick up brass @ the range; if it's useful in my reloading I save it; if not, just throw it into the ice cream bucket along with the split necks and bent shoulders, where it accumulates until there's enough to warrant a trip to City Scrap & Recycling.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 12, 2005, 12:51 PM   #9
tjhands

Oh yes, you must ebay that stuff. Go there and check out the prices brass fetches on there. You can make some dinero.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:26 PM   #10
mtnbkr

Hold on to it. You might not reload now, but you may change your mind one day. I get sick at the thought of all those 38s and 357s I tossed back when I first started shooting.

I'd keep the brass till I could fill a 50cal ammo can with each caliber I shot, then sell/toss the rest. A 50cal can will hold enough to keep you busy should you start reloading.

Chris
Old December 12, 2005, 08:24 PM   #11
m0ntels

Quote:
Hold on to it. You might not reload now, but you may change your mind one day. I get sick at the thought of all those 38s and 357s I tossed back when I first started shooting.
+1

Randy
Old December 15, 2005, 04:43 PM   #12
dodgestdshift

Assuming $10 a box for ammo, and 1000 rounds a year equals $200 a year for ammo. After a while you will get sick of paying the price of factory ammo, and look into reloading. When you do the cases you have saved will be worth their storage cost many times over. Remember about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the cartridge is the case, which can be reused.

Don N.
Old December 15, 2005, 07:41 PM   #13
Tim R

I would save your brass especially the 357 brass. As others have said you might not be reloading now but you never know. Also brass can be great trading material amoung shooters. When I first started loading 357, I would buy a friends once fired brass.......good for him and good for me.
Old December 15, 2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Garand Guy

Sent It My Way!
Old December 16, 2005, 01:03 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

E-bay isn't the best place to sell or buy firearm related stuff. The woman who runs E-Bay is extremely anti-firearm. In any case, brass makes good trading goods. Separated though.
Old December 23, 2005, 11:26 PM   #16
ammunition-man

what to do with brass

you could boxs it up and send it to me for christmas
Old December 25, 2005, 08:28 PM   #17
Kamicosmos

I'd save it, or at least a few thousand cases. If you are new to shooting in general, you may or may not buy more guns and get into reloading.

1K rounds a year is only 20 rounds a week! Considering you have your own private range, that's not alot of shooting when you consider most of the time you'll probably shoot 50 rounds per session. Or, on a private range like that you'll probably be more of the 10-20 rounds every couple of days type...boy, that would be nice!!

I bet you'll get into reloading sooner than you think!

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance