The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
FLGlocker23

looking to purchase Glock26 G4

hey guys,

already a owner of a S&W sd40ve. Its my home defense piece. But now I'm bout to make a purchase for my concealed piece (the 40 full size is way to big for concealing comfortably). Was looking at a bunch of compact/subcompact 9mm. Pretty much narrowed it down to the Glock 26 G4 or the Sig P250 subcompact. Any thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also how does everyone like the "safe action" trigger that Glock uses?
Old December 31, 2012, 12:34 AM   #2
2tango2

If you can find one you might like the M&P Shield in 9mm. Seems scarcer than AR's though lol
Old December 31, 2012, 12:37 AM   #3
BarryLee

I carry a G26 a good bit and really like the small lightweight nature of the gun. However, be aware as a double stack it is a little thicker than some other small guns, but as you know can handle 11 rounds of ammo. I have been very pleased with how reliable, easy to service and surprisingly accurate the gun has been.

I also like the fact that it will handle any of the other GLOCK magazines. I have three 17 round magazines with spacers for use when concealment is not as critical and a 33 round magazine for range use.

As for the trigger it is fine to me, but you do have to use reasonable caution as there is no long first pull as you get with a double action gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 31, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
9mm

Glock 26 conceals good on ankle with boot cuts.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:01 AM   #5
FLGlocker23

now for concealing Im going for more accuracy, but don't want to sacrifice stopping power. And since im getting a subcompact than the shorter barrel will make less accurate. my question is will the accuracy be further hindered if I go up to 40 cal or 380 auto instead of 9mm. What im trying to do is go 9mm thinking it may be easier to handle and more accurate, but if it doesn't make that big of a difference then i would rather go more stopping power w/ 40 or 380. Just want to make right decision before I make the purchase.

Also was thinking about cheaper range bullets with the 9mm, allowing me to practice and hone my accuracy more often
Old December 31, 2012, 01:08 AM   #6
9mm

It shoots pretty good, I havnt shot it in a while but I recall good groups. Because it is SA, its a light trigger pull 5.5lbs? and easy to work.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:21 AM   #7
BarryLee

While I did consider a .40 I just felt like with a small gun the 9mm was a better choice. I find the gun to be plenty accurate and really think it compares favorably to larger handguns in that respect.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 31, 2012, 03:47 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Lipsey's new FDE Glock line; Glock 26/27 sub-compact.....

A sub-compact Glock in .40S&W should meet your needs. I'd get night sights added to it. There are a few Earth brown(FDE) color Glock gen4 pistols for sale from a firm called Lipsey's. There may be a few Glock 27s left, but I'd buy it soon.
Guns(semi-autos with large cap magazines) are selling out all over the US.
As posted, the compact M&P Shield may meet your needs. It's a good value.
You may want to consider the slim type Glock 36 .45acp with night sights(3 dot). It's small but uses the potent .45acp.

As for .40S&W carry rounds, I'd look at the new Critical Duty 175gr load, the Speer Gold Dot 165gr JHP, the PowRball or DPX from Corbon, or the Federal Guard Dog ammunition. The new Hornady Critical Duty works well & passes all the FBI protocol tests. They market a .45acp load now also.

ClydeFrog
Old December 31, 2012, 10:34 AM   #9
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
While I did consider a .40 I just felt like with a small gun the 9mm was a better choice. I find the gun to be plenty accurate and really think it compares favorably to larger handguns in that respect.
That's exactly how I feel. And with improved accuracy and hollow point/ self defense bullets a 9mm will be stopping any perps anyhow
Old December 31, 2012, 10:40 AM   #10
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
It shoots pretty good, I havnt shot it in a while but I recall good groups. Because it is SA, its a light trigger pull 5.5lbs? and easy to work.
Yeah it's a 5.5 ibs all the way through which is a nice smooth pull thats what i like about the glock trigger over your standard heavy first pull on double actions. Unlike my sd40ve that's sporting a 7-8 ibs pull (but I'm bout to fix that with an Apex spring kit).

Heard alot about the shields on other forums. Seems to be alot of people's suggestions. Might have to reconsider that one as well
Old January 2, 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

after market Glock items...

Glocks have a HUGE after market industry in the USA. I'd say only 1911 type pistols as many parts & custom services.
Check out www.Glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.Customizeyourglock.com .
As many LE armorers & tactics instructors advise, Glocks do not need a lot of knick-knacks or gadgets to function. I would add a plug(with a Glock tool or lanyard) & 3 dot night sights(Trijicon HD).

ClydeFrog
Old January 2, 2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Yeah it's a 5.5 ibs all the way through which is a nice smooth pull thats what i like about the glock trigger over your standard heavy first pull on double actions.
Hey now, I love my first DA pull. Just takes a little longer to get used to. Once you are used to it, it's just as good of a second nature.

OP, the Glock 26 is a great CCW gun. You'll be really happy with it. Yes the mods are endless. But for a CCW I'd keep it factory with an exception of possible night sights. enjoy!
Old January 2, 2013, 11:38 PM   #13
chadk7

BBauer

Doesn't look like anyone else caught this but a .380 would not be a step up from the 9mm.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 3, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
Hog Red

love mine, it's the perfect handgun whether you want 10, 15, 17 or 33 rounds. 3 guns in one: CCW, HD aor Zombie Apocolypse
Old January 3, 2013, 11:09 PM   #15
FLGlocker23

Thanks guys for all your help and advice. Def going with Glock, now just to finalize that I want the 26 and not another model. I love how they can be easily modified and parts changed out. If I go with the 26(which I'm heavily leaning towards) I will definitely be wanting the extended finger mag or maybe just one of the larger version mags so I don't have that floppy pinkie finger

Why kind of prices am I looking at for swapping out the mag from the stock issue one? Which mag am I better off with cuz again i definitely would feel more comfortable with a fuller grip.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:05 AM   #16
BarryLee

I purchased G17 magazines since they hold 17 rounds and added X-Grip spacers to them. As for the issue of your pinky hanging off you might consider one of the Pearce Grip Extensions which can be added to your factory 10 round magazines. Some models provide a little more grip length and some actual can increase the magazine capacity by a couple of rounds.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/i...cturer_1=GLOCK

http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-glock-26-27.html

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK
- Milton Friedman
Old January 4, 2013, 12:07 AM   #17
BerdanSS

<EDIT> BARRY beat me to it on the finger extension subject

Keep in mind while I am not a fan of Glock (mostly due to the price) Glocks are very ergo-dynamic. They fit my hand so well I can pick up a 22, 30 or 23 and not really feel a difference. They just fit and point well for me.

I was very lucky to grow up my whole life shooting...anything I could get my hands on. Might be a PPK one day, and an 8" 686 the next, and about every Glock made with the exception of the long slide models. If it's got a trigger I'm comfortable with it. My wife on the other hand learned how to shoot from me. She had never even handled a gun as small as the 26. She learned on my 92FS Beretta and them moved to full sized 1911s. She had a lot of trouble adjusting to the stubby little G26 I got her for Christmas last year (still has some issues, had a horrible time with her pulling down due to the short grip, made worse by the even shorter barrel, and the extended mag plate seemed to make it worse). I tried like the devil to get her to look at the G19. I feel she would have done much better to have picked the 19.

And while I still prefer the G19 for a 9mm glock. All that being said, the 26 is a VERY well put together little pocket powerhouse. It's the 4th best glock there is

1st G21SF,
2nd G30SF,
3rd G19.

Also...the Item # PG-36 +1 extended mag in the above link for pierce posted by BERRY there is one made one for the 26 and they are AWESOME. great feel.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:04 AM   #18
FLGlocker23

Thanks Barry Lee for the links!
Old January 4, 2013, 01:12 AM   #19
I'm gone

I love my G26 gen4, carries nice, great to shoot, great all around gun, just put another 200 through it today.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:31 AM   #20
Redhawk5.5+P+

FYI, the G27 (.40S&W) is the same in dimension's, and you can convert it to 9mm.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:06 AM   #21
FLGlocker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk5.5+P+ View Post
FYI, the G27 (.40S&W) is the same in dimension's, and you can convert it to 9mm.
How much does it cost to convert? And after its converted does it lose any reliability since its not originally manufactured to be a 9mm
Old January 5, 2013, 09:39 PM   #22
Redhawk5.5+P+

If you have to ask Lone Wolf has conversion barrel for $109.95. And you'll need G26 mags for 9mm
Old January 6, 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
ClydeFrog

Converting a 9x19mm to a .40S&W....

Slow your roll....
If you want to convert a Glock 9x19mm to a .40, you'd need to replace the slide too(and maybe the springs).
A .40 caliber base may not cycle correctly with a 9mm(.38) type slide.
The dual recoil springs of a Gen4 may be different too.
I'm not a Glocker but you may want to check with a Glock trained armorer or gunsmith before you tinker around.

Clyde
Old January 6, 2013, 07:18 AM   #24
wheelyfun

some pics to get this party rollin'

Old January 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #25
Vermonter

Conversion

You could do what I did. Buy a G27 put on night sites. I now have a 40 and a .357 sig with a g32 barrel. Now if I can get a 9mm conversion bbl and some 26 mags were really home free.