The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

Holster input

Hey everyone, I am wanting to get a concealed holster for either my Beretta 9000S or Springfield XD. The problem is that where I work I have to have my shirt tucked in. What are your suggestions for holsters that would fit my needs?
Thanks all.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Micahweeks

I can almost guarantee you'll hear about the Crossbreed Supertuck from more than just me. Also, the Summer Comfort holster is pretty comfortable.
Old February 4, 2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Shootin Chef

Would you mind if I tucked my own question in here?

I wear drawstring pants to work, is there a holster option to allow me to conceal carry at the waist?

Chef
Old February 4, 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Micahweeks

Well, that would depend on what gun you're carrying. Mind if I ask?
Old February 4, 2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Shootin Chef

Will be a Glock 23 more than likely
Old February 4, 2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Sixer

Plaxico?

Just kidding... seriously though, a Glock 23 might be a little much for sweat pants. I'd say take a look at Smart Carry or a belly band. Otherwise, save up for an LCP.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 4, 2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Micahweeks

For a G23 your best best is probably a belly band or, depending on your build and upper garment, compression shorts. If you wear long jackets or pullovers, the compression shorts will do. If you wear just a t-shirt, I'd say belly band. That's my opinion.
Old February 4, 2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Shootin Chef

I wear a chef coat at work, that buttons all the way up to the neck but it fairly loose at the bottom so possibly a belly band

I'm not really sure what compression shorts are but they really don't sound like something that would be comfortable to work a hot kitchen line in.

We have had a lot of robberies in our area of late, with one back of house guy getting pistol whipped out behind his place and then forced to take the guy to the safe. Since I'm frequently out back smoking/getting fresh air/trying to cool down/walking to my truck I figured carrying concealed on my person and not in my backpack would be better.

Chef
Old February 4, 2011, 04:09 AM   #9
Micahweeks

Ah! A chef's coat! That changes things. You can still do the belly band, or you can turn that chef's coat into a concealed carry garment. It's not hard with basic sewing skills. There are small, cloth/elastic/soft nylon holster that are meant to be sewn in to a garment. Here's what you do.

Replace three buttons down the chest of your coat with snap buttons. Sew the original button on the outside of the coat to preserve its look. Then sew the holster inside the coat where you easily reach it but where it won't print. Then, holster your gun and button up. Should it need to be deployed, just yank the snaps with the left hand, reach in, then draw. Yes. It is a little work, but, if the jacket is a moisture repellent one that is moderately thick, that should be pretty comfy.

Compression shorts are tight, underwear-like shorts with a holster sewn on them. It keeps the gun pulled tight to the body inside your clothing. It might not be comfortable in a kitchen.
Old February 4, 2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Shootin Chef

Oh that might work!
My girlfriend is excellent at sewing, but wouldn't it show the stitching on the outside?

Also, we get our coats from a uniform company, but I've been thinking about buying my own anyway. I would love to see the CINTAS reps face when I show her a holster sewn into my coats.

Chef
Old February 4, 2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Micahweeks

If it is one of those thick coats, you can sew it without the seam showing. It doesn't print bad if it's in the right location, such as just under your left breast or lower left abdomen. It depends on your build.
Old February 4, 2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

Can we get back to the original question that I posted?

Thanks....

I don't know how others feel about it but I'm not to happy about having a thread hijacked. Thanks........
Old February 4, 2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Redbeardsong

There are scores of holsters that will do what you need, and it's a question that has been discussed many times before. Use the search function (and Google) to search for "Tuckable IWB holster". Find one in your price range and that is made for your gun.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Micahweeks

I addressed your question. Your choosing to meet it with petulant territorialism has resulted in me deciding to summarily dismissing any further postings by you. Best of luck.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Rolller

Holster

Like most of us you will likley end up with a box of holsters. But to offer my 2 cents......

I carry a glock 19 daily hands down the best holsters cost big money.

If you carry outside the waist band look up a company called Kramer. http://www.kramerleather.com/ They make cowhide holsters, but horsehide iswant you want. Horsehide is really firm. Its great it gives and flexes a little like cowhide but wont wear out and soften. It is firm like plastic, and reholsters well.

If your looking for inside the waistband look up comptac www.comp-tac.com
The minotuar is a kydex scabbard on a leather backing and is very comfy. Unlike the crossbreed the comptac is modular. You can buy different bodies for different guns also the belt. Clips are not metal so they wont bend or mush. And you can adjust the cant.

If your on a budget i have had good luck with the desantis cozy partner. But it wears out

Good holsters are only expensive once. Likley cheaper holsters will need to be replaced much faster.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:27 AM   #16
Rolller

Also i forgot to mention the comptac can be tucked in. I have worn a polo tucked in with a glock 19 and it conceals pretty well. Granted im a 6'3" and 250# but it works. If your a little smaller in stature you may want to consider a subcompact xd to shave. Some grip size
Old February 4, 2011, 12:41 PM   #17
Yung.gunr

Thank you Roller

That is exactly the input I was looking for. Some firsthand experience rather then "just buy one and try it" type answer.
Old February 4, 2011, 12:49 PM   #18
kymarkh

This is what I used with a G26 for over a year and the J-hook is not really that noticeable if you use a black belt. It's extremely lightweight, well constructed and easy to put on/take off. The J-hook is not as 'obvious' as others I've used.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K4.htm

I do feel the need to mention this though: folks who carry and have used J-hook type holster before will probably notice it and they will know what it is...
Old February 4, 2011, 05:42 PM   #19
gimike

Are you planning on wearing it all day or do you need to take it off and put it on several times per day?
Old February 5, 2011, 01:35 AM   #20
Yung.gunr

I plan to keep it on me all day.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:44 AM   #21
trustygun25

crossbreed supertuck best holster ive had, a imtac is good but not like the crossbreed, you just gota wait awhile for the crossbreed,mine took 5 weeks to get.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:16 PM   #22
gimike

Hybrid

If you can wear all day, then one of the hybrids will likely be a good fit for you. I have my own opinions as to which are best and which are the best value.
Old February 15, 2011, 07:34 PM   #23
dosjoel

a $23 ultimate CC holster?

You will think I am crazy but I found the best (for me) concealed carry holster and for less then $25. I have a drawer full of holsters, some over $100. But I use this holster for nearly all concealed carry all the time wheterh I am carrying a PM 9 or a Les Baer full size.

I found it at a small gun shop in North TX. It is a garage idea by a retired guy who is not interested in making too many. But he will make them in any size you want. The idea is extremely effective and very efficient. It consists of a light weight piece of ballistic materical sewn into a pocket with the correct depth and width to fit your firearm. This "pocket" has a length of ballistic material on one side. You slip your hostered side arm into your pants then take the extension tab and wrap it over and down then up under your belt. It stays perfectly secure because there is metal piece sewn into the end of the extension.

This may be a little hard to visualize but send me a note and I will send you a pic of the holster both off and on.

The major advantages of this device are that it is very easy to put on or take off, the very low cost and off course its extreme conceal-ability. I have no holster more concealable no matter what the price. Drop me a note and I'll show it to you.

Joel
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.