The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Delaware_Dan

Poormans Surefire

I wanted the Surefire 6P LED for ever but I just can't justify the purchase. So I'm in the local Happy Harrys (Walgreens) for Drano and bought a hand held flashlight for $10.50. It is one slick little flashlight. It's alum. and with a bronze finish. It's a Rayovac Sportsman LED. The only drawbacks are you have to click it on and off, and it tends to roll when you put it down. The finish on it probably won't last too long but it's 10 bucks.

Its 20 lumens and it blinds the hell out of a person and for 10 bucks I think I got a deal. I bought another one for my Pop as a stocking stuffer, and I would get it for anyone else that would use it.
Old December 16, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Croz

Nice find, Dan. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. I've been looking for the same thing.
Old December 16, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
BobCat45

That's delightful! (pun intended)

I have a couple of inexpensive Brinkman Xenon / CR123 lights (not Surefires but good workhorse lights, and bright) - but the light you found is smaller, and looks easier to pocket carry. Seems like a good stocking stuffer, like you say.

And Rayovac - I tend to buy their batteries on account of I despise the battery bunny.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:20 PM   #4
revance

You should check out dealextreme.com. You can find many lights that are a lot closer to the surefire quality (definitely not equal, but closer) for about the same price you paid.

Here is a thread where a guy has reviewed dozens of them in pretty good detail.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=215569
Old December 16, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5
hoytinak

Quote:
and I would get it for anyone else that would use it.
I'd find a use for one if someone happen to send me one ....I'm kinda a flashlight junky, I've got them spread all over the house and vehicles.
Old December 17, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
BobCat45

revance,

Thanks for the link! Very useful reviews.

Living in the city, a flashlight was (for me) just a tube to store batteries until they leaked. In the country, flashlights are tools that get used every day (in the winter months, anyway). Good to have lying around, good to have a small one on one's person (like a pistol, but I need the flashlight more often than the pistol).
Old December 17, 2008, 09:54 AM   #7
ActivShootr

Quote:
I have a couple of inexpensive Brinkman Xenon / CR123 lights
I have a couple of those too. Really good lights for 20 bucks.

This one is pretty bright too if you like LED's.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

I am not sure that "Surefire quality" is all that superior to many other products. Back in the old days, Surefire was the be all to end all and I have 4 Surefire lights. However with LEDs now and such, you get more lux for your bucks with long term reliability.

I recently shelled out $100 for an Olight Warrior premium that is comparable to a Surefire U2 at nearly 3 times the price. I am very happy with the Olight and so far it has withstood everything I have done with and to it.

With that said, I have now seen a few nifty lights not running on the more expensive CR123 batteries that have very good output, but maybe not with all the features (such as in the OP) and for a lot less money.

Low $ good quality lights are now becoming commonplace and 5 or 6 of the Rayovacs compared to a comparable inexpensive $60 Surefire would likely be much more useful to the average person, even gun person.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Dave P

more lux for your bucks - great sales line:

More Lux for the Bux!

I like the 15$ lights at the autoparts store. 2 C cells, great light.

http://advanceauto.shoplocal.com/adv...toreid=2370190
Old December 17, 2008, 11:05 AM   #10
ZeSpectre

I was both interested and annoyed to discover that the new 2xC battery "River Rock" light I bought for my wife's car is every bit as bright as my older (and FAR more expensive) Surefire L2.

Yeah it's a bigger light but the Inova and River Rock lights at Target have come a long way and are seriously bright!
Old December 17, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11
sholling

Nice find. The only thing to keep in mind with the low end lights is that most are not regulated. That means that the brightness starts dropping off quickly. Still a really nice find.
Old December 17, 2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Te Anau

Quote:
It's a Rayovac Sportsman LED
I saw one of these several days ago,and although I didn't get it,it looks good and I believe that all Rayovacs have a lifetime warranty don't they?
Old December 17, 2008, 09:42 PM   #13
51colt

I am a big fan of Mag lights AA and full size with LED up grades. Nice And bright and the batteries last forever. My Surefire is bright but the 123 batteries don't last very long. I found the AA upgrades for 5.00 but can't remember were i bought them and i bought two full size upgrades for 2.00 each on close out at Walmart.

Old December 19, 2008, 01:01 AM   #14
chris in va

I found a really nice, tiny LED flashlight that only uses ONE AA battery, not the 3-AAA types. It puts out good light and small enough to pocket all the time.

http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_...?modelNum=8421
Old December 19, 2008, 07:27 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I am a big fan of Mag lights AA and full size with LED up grades. Nice And bright and the batteries last forever. My Surefire is bright but the 123 batteries don't last very long. I found the AA upgrades for 5.00 but can't remember were i bought them and i bought two full size upgrades for 2.00 each on close out at Walmart.
+1 We had 4 mini Mags around the house that we upgraded. They are just handy to have. I also upgraded to the tailcap switches and they blink night...so easier to find at night!
Old January 2, 2009, 04:01 AM   #16
Bill DeShivs

You guys should really check these out!
http://billdeshivs.com/bd1/modules.p...howpage&pid=18