The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
rnovi

Handgun Hunting: DA or SA???

Ok, bear with me on this. I know that the vast majority of hunters (who handgun hunt) will take an SA first shot anytime they can get it. Heck, I would.

However, having never handgun hunted (but will be come March) I have to question: how often does one actually use SA or DA when it comes to hunting? Is there a necessity for a quick DA second shot?

(I ask partly because all of my revolver shooting is done DA - I haven't actually pulled any SA groups in over a year. I'm also considering buying a new revolver, possibly a Ruger SBH in .41 mag or a Smith 657...you get the idea. One is SA only, the other is SA/DA, and I'm trying to decide just how important the DA shot is. Right now I'm leaning towards Smith just so I can have that DA shot option.)

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old January 3, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2
taylorce1

I'm not much of a pistol guy but if I was hunting with one I'd try to hunt with any pistol using it like a SA. I like to swing out the cylinder like on a DA, instead of using the load gate on a SA pistol. I think a Redhawk could make a nice hunting pistol as well.

Last edited by taylorce1; January 3, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Scorch

I agree on the Redhawk. I love mine.

Typically, I use a double action revolver in single action mode. The hammer fall of most double action revolvers is shorter and faster than most SA revolvers. The faster hammer fall will keep you on target better.

If you do get charged by rabid rhinos, you can always go DA, but you will likely find that shooting single action will be better.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I agree with Scorch about the importance of lock time. Faster lock time means a higher probability of a good hit, which then means no "quick, second shot" is needed.

Art