The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 26, 2017, 04:27 PM   #1
TXAZ

1 day to get the suppressor Tax stamp! :)

Submitted on October 25 (Trust)
Approved October 26 (ok, not the same year

Just got word the tax stamp for the suppressor for my .50 BMG rifle is here. It only took 1 year and 1 day. Off to pick it up.

I'm not sure if that's a victory or not.

On the other hand maybe ATF doesn't like big suppressors

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; October 26, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old October 26, 2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Sevens

That:

is not.
Old October 26, 2017, 07:48 PM   #3
jpx2rk

Really depends on how you define "victory". GAAP would treat that as a long term gain.
Old October 26, 2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Sharkbite

So that was a post 41f submission?

Im really hoping the wait time goes down after the huge rush around 41f clears. Ive got a couple more form 1’s in mind.
Old October 26, 2017, 08:41 PM   #5
TXAZ

It was a Form 4 Trust with 2 names on it.
If I do this again, I'm doing the individual with the onsite fingerprinting and 1-shot docs. The FFL told me those are running 4-5 months right now.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 29, 2017, 09:05 AM   #6
smee78

What a mess but no surprise, another government org that is so slow and behind on the times it takes over a year to process one request. Just sad.
Old October 31, 2017, 06:12 AM   #7
Mobuck

Sort of funny(in a bassackward sort of way). I'd love to be a fly and sneak into the BATFE processing center just to see how the work flows.
Having been in government service for over 30 years I know all too well how certain processes can slow to a crawl for any number of reasons.
My take on the long delays goes something like this: From a financial standpoint, $200 is no longer a real monetary hardship as it was intended to be 70 years ago. The actual paperwork is only a few minutes work and honest citizens usually have little to hide. So, the only option BATFE has is to slow the processing to discourage applications. The aggravating part is the information to give a "yes or no" is so quickly and easily accessed, this step shouldn't be a big deal.
I have limited access to public records as part of my current job and with a little effort and a few minutes can find all sorts of info w/o even going to government accessible databases. I'd bet it takes less than 5 minutes for BATFE to search the info needed to make a determination.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:40 AM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mobuck Sort of funny(in a bassackward sort of way). I'd love to be a fly and sneak into the BATFE processing center just to see how the work flows.
The process isn't secret.
1.Application is sent to Atlanta where the payment is separated and processed. Once "cleared"...
2. Forwarded to NFA Branch in West Virginia where data entry clerks type in all the information on the app into their database.
3. Fingerprints are sent to the FBI. When the FP check is returned...
4. An ATF Legal Document Examiner reviews the application, compares the firearm to the NFA Registry, reviews the trust vs a checklist to see if it meets the requirements of that state and conducts the remainder of the background check on the individual or on each responsible person listed on the trust. If one of those background checks requires further review or is delayed then the application is on hold until resolved.
If information is missing then the examiner may return it to the transferor for correction.
5. When approved, the examiner affixes a tax stamp, then "cancels" it by writing the serial# across the stamp.
6. Form is returned to the transferor.

Quote:
The actual paperwork is only a few minutes work and honest citizens usually have little to hide.
Wrong. See above.
Even "honest citizens" fail to include prints, photos or follow the damn directions. I give every customer an easy to follow checklist.....but it only works if you use it.

Quote:
So, the only option BATFE has is to slow the processing to discourage applications.
Yeah, it's a conspiracy.
And don't forget to include the FBI in your conspiracy.
I'm getting approvals from May 2017 right now.....because they were done correctly.

Quote:
The aggravating part is the information to give a "yes or no" is so quickly and easily accessed, this step shouldn't be a big deal.
Wrong.
It's wholly and completely different than the NICS check at your local gun store. A hint that it is different is the fingerprint requirement.

Quote:
I have limited access to public records as part of my current job and with a little effort and a few minutes can find all sorts of info w/o even going to government accessible databases. I'd bet it takes less than 5 minutes for BATFE to search the info needed to make a determination.
I'll take and win that bet.
You are forgetting what parts of the process aren't even under ATF's control, nor are you taking into account a fixed number of employees and a literal mountain of form submissions with no ability to add more employees because it requires Congressional approval.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 1, 2017, 07:21 AM   #9
smee78

Ya but even 7 months is silly for one form. Show me any other business that processes paperwork that slow and is not government controlled? I pretty sure it does not take 7 months to separate the money from the forms and to send them a few states over for all the people who send theirs in filled out correctly.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:34 AM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
smee78 Ya but even 7 months is silly for one form.
Silly? Well, yeah....if it was only one Form 4. But it WASN'T just one form, it was around 300,000.

Quote:
Show me any other business that processes paperwork that slow and is not government controlled?
I can't.......because ATF NFA Branch ISN'T A BUSINESS. There is no profit motive, there are no stockholders demanding greater productivity, efficiency or processing. It is a typical government operation.

Comparing any government operation to a commercial business is a waste of time and bandwidth. If you have just become aware of government inefficiency I'm a bit surprised.

Quote:
I pretty sure it does not take 7 months to separate the money from the forms and to send them a few states over for all the people who send theirs in filled out correctly.
Who said it took "7 months to separate the money"? Not me or anyone else in this thread. In fact, if you'll reread what I wrote you'll note that I made mention that ATF doesn't have control of how long the FBI takes to process the fingerprint check.

Further, you fail at any understanding of what has happened in the NFA business since January 2016. In the thirty days prior to the 7/13/16 implementation of 41F, ATF NFA Branch received more Form 1/3/4's than all of 2014, and more than all of 2009, 2010 & 2011 together...........with no immediate staffing change. ATF, like any government agency can't just add jobs when they feel like it's needed. Adding positions or even contract labor requires Congressional approval.

If you got your pants in a wad because things slowed down ask yourself why you didn't file your Form as soon as 41P became 41F.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 1, 2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Chainsaw.

BACKLOG

They dont drag their heels on purposes, well, anymore than any other goverment agency, but they do, seriously have shipping containers full of backlogged applications.
Old November 9, 2017, 09:28 PM   #12
Mobuck

"but they do, seriously have shipping containers full of backlogged applications."

Honestly?? Do you have any idea how many that would be?
A "shipping container full" of 4 page applications would amount to several hundred thousand.
Old November 9, 2017, 09:42 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Chainsaw. BACKLOG

They dont drag their heels on purposes, well, anymore than any other goverment agency, but they do, seriously have shipping containers full of backlogged applications.
ATF NFA Branch doesn't store pending NFA applications in a shipping container and never have.

Out of business records from FFL's such as Form 4473's are stored in shipping containers.