The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 30, 2017, 10:29 AM   #51
tipoc

Quote:
Drop the price $200 for a start.
This would bring the gun to about the $400.-450 dollar range. About that of a Charter Arms piece. Colt won't be doing that.

tipoc
Old October 30, 2017, 11:18 AM   #52
Carmady

LCR's cost more than that.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:56 AM   #53
reddog81

All top tier competition with steel frames has MSRP's higher than the Cobra - this includes Ruger, S&W, and Kimber. Some of them you can find them cheaper on the street but not by much. Anyone who watches gun forums knows there are just as many complaints about the quality of new S&W's and Rugers. People just like to bash on Colt.
Old October 30, 2017, 12:54 PM   #54
tipoc

This is true, some folks like bashing Colt.

Also appears that some complain about the price of Colt's without knowing the actual street prices of the guns or the MSRP of the guns.

Like I said I have not seen the new Cobra and will have to go out of state to do that. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

tipoc
Old October 30, 2017, 05:27 PM   #55
EIGHTYDUECE

The Cobras I have seen lately have cost $700 and that is not much more than a new all stainless S&W mod. 60. I see the S&W sell for $650. I think Colt should have given it a totally new name so people wouldn't be trying to compare the new one with the older guns with the same name. The two examples I have messed with looked great and I want one.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH

Last edited by EIGHTYDUECE; October 30, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old October 30, 2017, 06:18 PM   #56
fourbore

I made the suggestion colt drop the price. It maybe seem foolish but coming in below charter arms could sell a high volume of guns. That is my suggestion of desperation. Ideally, Colt would offer another angle to grab the market. Price is a last resort. It works. That suggestion is probably another example of bashing. I have owned my share of colt and very similar competitors models. The Colts dont compare that well.

I dont know what is going on with the gun in question. Maybe the OP is a bald face liar and colt hater. Or a smith wesson forum plant. I dont think so. I believe him and his experience is right in line with my last purchase of a 1911 gold cup. Full disclosure that was one or two bankruptcies back.

Some one say colt price is right in line with smith or ruger! MY POINT, WHAT MAKES THIS COLT BETTER?

I got a Smith Wesson, so-called, Performance Center revolver. It was out of time! The thing is. NOBODY offers a comparable model. It is unique. I got it fixed. I am satisfied. That is another way to get my dollar, offer a unique product. Other wise it should be a better product. Failing that, it should be a bargain price. Give me some reason. Not just buy me, my name is Colt.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:32 PM   #57
reddog81

Why would Colt drop the price? The guns are hard to find in stock and sell quickly.

What makes the Colt better, you ask? Better trigger, holds more rounds and better sights.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:38 PM   #58
Gats Italian

“MY POINT, WHAT MAKES THIS COLT BETTER?”

6>5. That’s always been the appeal of the D framed Colt revolver. Still is, from appearances.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:40 AM   #59
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I made the suggestion colt drop the price. It maybe seem foolish but coming in below charter arms could sell a high volume of guns.
I doubt that Colt could price the Cobra for less than a Charter Arms and still make a profit.

So they'd lose money on every gun sold, but hope to make it up in volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Give me some reason. Not just buy me, my name is Colt.
That's been Colt management's strategy for decades. I don't see them changing it, at least not until it's too late.

Last edited by natman; October 31, 2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:24 PM   #60
tipoc

Quote:
The Cobras I have seen lately have cost $700 and that is not much more than a new all stainless S&W mod. 60.
The MSRP on the new Colt Cobra is $699. The general rule of thumb is that actual retail price is about $100. less, occasionally more than that. Sometimes, with Colts, only about $50. less. But it's generally less. So if you are seeing the gun in stores for $700. or more, that is not on Colt. That's the action of the retailers who want to increase their profit. They can do this because it's a Colt, people want to buy Colt's and because it's not available "everywhere" yet.

Some ask "what's it got that other guns don't have other than the Pony?". Well, that's for the buyer to figure out. Same as any other gun. Like most guns it won't have much of any significance that another gun don't have. Pull the trigger it goes bang and is accurate enough for the job you want it to do. The difference is that sometimes one gun has something that fits a person better than another. So go with the gun that fits you best.

Every day folks buy new or used guns because they "like" Rugers, or S&Ws or because they want to try out a gun that they haven't run before. If we apply the criteria "what's it got that other guns don't" to everything, we're gonna be not buying much. Colt and Kimber are offering a small 6 shot easily concealable gun, take your pick or get both.

Another fella says that other makers of 1911's offer the things he likes on the guns at the same price point. OK, so get those guns. But there is no reason in that to dis Colt. Some like the features that Colt does offer and don't want or need the features that some others may offer. Nice to have choices.

Finally, is there something wrong with a fella buying a gun just because they like the Pony? Colt doesn't charge more for the Pony. Folks will pay more for it sometimes but that's not on Colt. It's MSRPs are comparable to others (except maybe for the SAAs). That can be easily checked

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; October 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old October 31, 2017, 05:03 PM   #61
1911_Hardball

I saw one of these today for the first time.
The fit and finish was almost as good as the Charter Arms Bulldog that was in the display case a with it.
Old January 20, 2020, 06:04 AM   #62
Satchmoeddie

Stainless "FINISH" on a 90% MIM gun.

The cylinder, forcing cone and barrel liner are the only steel steel parts. The whole rest of the gun is all MIM. I have Detective Special IIIs and the Police Positive Special Mk V which used up the last of Colts carbon steel D frame parts, with a full double under lug 4 inch barrel, with recessed crown on the ORIGINAL small D frame. These new Cobras are GARBAGE! The safety lifter has a spring on it that looks like a blind monkey with palsy installed it. Charter Arms makes a better small frame revolver, and you get a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Colt gives you a VERY LIMITED 1 YEAR WARRANTY. If the gun is all beat to ___ that is exactly how Colt will send it back to you, after they hack away at fixing it. Charter Arms POLISHED my USED Pitbull out again after replacing a bent crane, FOR FREE! $700+ for a MIM revolver? Wow! If Taurus did this there would be no end of complaining. Taurus also has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Put a Wolff spring kit in a Taurus and they are pretty darned decent little guns. I can't do anything with the new Colt Cobra. Colt should be naming these guns after parasitic worms instead of snakes.
Old January 20, 2020, 07:50 AM   #63
Carmady

Charter Arms has excellent customer service, ime.
Old January 20, 2020, 09:46 AM   #64
KEYBEAR

It looks like we live in a time when what we read and are told is what we must believe .
Put lipstick on a pig (pony) and we will buy at any price .
Old January 20, 2020, 01:01 PM   #65
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmoeddie View Post
The cylinder, forcing cone and barrel liner are the only steel steel parts. The whole rest of the gun is all MIM.
The Cobra barrel is one piece. And I’m not sure how the forcing cone would ever be a separate piece... Are you trying to say the frame is also MIM? At this point in time MIM is generally regarded as at least as good as the internals used in older revolvers. The only complaint I can make out of your post is a spring that looks like it was installed by a blind monkey.

The street price on the Cobra is about $550. The street price on the Pitbull is about $400. Not a huge difference. I know I wouldn’t trade my Cobra for a Pitbull with a $150 kicker. My Cobra is a much smoother gun with a much better trigger than my .45 ACP Pitbull.
Old January 20, 2020, 03:13 PM   #66
Road_Clam

If you guys have Amazon Prime video there's an excellent documentary hosted my Ian McCollum called "The Colt Armory". Very long and sad story of the rise and many times fallen Colt Armory. Colts current marketing gurus are trying to use the past glory quality days of Python and Anaconda to sell pistols in the present day. If you fall for this shame on you. Im hearing a lot of negative feedback on the "new" Colt. Seems your getting a Taurus with a Colt logo....buyers be warned.
Old January 20, 2020, 04:21 PM   #67
bobn

must be something wrong with me, I got a nice one. it is well made, has a awesome trigger, sits lower in my hand than any Taurus does . it also doesn't have a weird 1x3 board feel to it either.
,,,,,it is accurate. the crisp lines I appreciate. any gun that has roley poley feel to it has been over polished in my mind.
...has no gaps anywhere at all. yoke is tight. even the hammer width is correct for the frame. tight cylinder to barrel fit.
definitely a keeper. when is their next model coming? jmho
Old January 20, 2020, 05:03 PM   #68
bn12gg

Bought the new Colt Cobra some months ago. It 's a perfectly fine short barreled 38. It rounded out my collection of Cobras. -- have first and second generations.

.02. David.
Old January 20, 2020, 07:41 PM   #69
TBM900

Cant speak for the Cobra, but the King Cobra I got as a gift is 100% flawless.
Excellent trigger, wonderfully smooth action.
FFF is every bit as nice as a vintage one.
Old January 20, 2020, 10:19 PM   #70
TheFlash

In December, I had the opportunity to check out a Cobra and King Cobra at a local shop. The fit and finish of both were quite good - did not notice sharp edges or any shortcuts in the finish.
What made me purchase a Kimber K6S instead was the trigger.
Both the Cobra and King Cobra had serious stacking of trigger pressure required as the DA trigger stroke was pulled. Just before release, it felt like at least 15lbs of pressure!
By contrast, the Kimber DA trigger was consistent and smooth and felt like 10lbs at most.
So, the Kimber came home with me (after the 10 days wait was over)...
Old January 20, 2020, 10:33 PM   #71
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
In December, I had the opportunity to check out a Cobra and King Cobra at a local shop. The fit and finish of both were quite good - did not notice sharp edges or any shortcuts in the finish.
What made me purchase a Kimber K6S instead was the trigger.
Both the Cobra and King Cobra had serious stacking of trigger pressure required as the DA trigger stroke was pulled. Just before release, it felt like at least 15lbs of pressure!
By contrast, the Kimber DA trigger was consistent and smooth and felt like 10lbs at most.
My KC DA pull measures < 8#
I don't own a K6 but they advertise 10#
Old January 22, 2020, 05:11 PM   #72
dgludwig

I bought a new Colt King Cobra for my wife a couple of months ago; chose this revolver over more than a few others (the Kimber was a close runner-up) largely due to the superb da trigger pull. Like the new Colt a lot, love the trigger but cool on the balky cylinder release (it has to be held back with a lot of thumb pressure for the cylinder to open freely).