The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
JCCAM

Opinions & Info for FN Commercial Mauser

I need advice on FN commercial Mausers.

A local shop has one for sale in 30-06. Stock is dinged up a bit from honest wear but the bore is very nice. My intended use is deer and pig hunting with non-lead bullets (due to some silly recent California legislation about protecting buzzards from lead poisoning). I don’t plan to do any gunsmihing to it, expect maybe to add some express sights, replace the scope, and perhaps someday replace the stock. This would be my first Mauser action. Price is $500.

I know the reputation of FN’s Mausers, and have read “Bolt Action Rifles” by Frank de Haas. So far, that is the only source of info I’ve found. From that book, I estimate this Mauser was made between 1948-1952, because it has the wing safety (on the bolt) and the stepped barrel contour. It has Belgian proof marks, says “Fab. Nat. D’Armes de Guerre – Herstal, Belgique” on the action and says “Chrome Vanadium Steel” on the barrel. There is no backsight, but it is fitted with a Bausch & Lomb scope mount and an old scope whose maker I did not note. The serial number is 164xx. I cannot see a date anywhere.

1) Is there a source for getting the year of manufacture based on the serial number?

2) Is there a good source of technical, historical or production info besides de Haas? I have Olsen’s Mauser book, but the commercial FN info is not much. For such a legendary rifle, I’d have thought there would be some great web site somewhere showing all sorts of info, but I’m not finding it. Where can I find a parts diagram for this particular model?

3) What is the best source of spare parts? Will most military M98 parts work here?

4) What is a good source for folding leaf express sights for this rifle?

5) Any pros and cons to this rifle? I like it and I respect the mystique associated with this action, the FN factory, and its era. I assume that the quality of steel and workmanship is equal to or better than most other rifles before and since. Anyone disagree? Caliber-wise, there’s nothing boring about the 30-06 in my mind, so I will keep it in that chambering.

6) This is a minor point but I’m curious. Is it true that a Mauser 98 action cannot load a single cartridge unless it is first pushed into the magazine? I know it’s unlikely, but if the mag spring were to break or the floorplate gets dropped in a river, your rifle is useless, right? I know that on a Lee Enfield, for example, you can pop one in the chamber and close the bolt on it. No magazine necessary.

7) Frank de Haas wrote that he agrees with FN’s choice to eliminate the thumb cutout on the left side of the receiver. He felt ths strengthened the action. Charger is not needed on a sporter anyway. However, in the Sept. 2002 issue of “Rifle” magazine, John Barsness disagreed, saying that the thumb slot (and also the bolt sleeve flange) serve as gas-diverting features in the event of a blown case. He faults the FN for eliminating these features, and tells of one time he blew the head off a .270 WCF and took a face-full of gas while using an FN Mauser. What do you guys think? Which of these guys is more correct?

8) If I buy it, I will probably put a 2-7x Leupold on it for practicality. I love old guns but I’m not nostalgic about scopes. If the current mounts don’t allow a good fit, can you recommend a good set of mounts that will work well on this rifle and won’t require any further drilling?

9) If YOU owned this particular rifle, how would you change it? I probably won’t mess with it except for a scope, but suggestions are welcome.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (246.2 KB, 1126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (243.8 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (242.4 KB, 786 views)

Last edited by JCCAM; December 12, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old December 12, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
hivel37

I don't know alot about the rifle.

The B & L mount contains a B & L scope -- probable 2 1/2 or 3 power. Note there's no adjustment on the scope. All adjusting is in the mount. These set ups are much sought after by guys who like to put period scopes on older rifles.

If it were mine, I'd refinish the stock and use it as-is.
Old December 12, 2008, 06:50 PM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
3) What is the best source of spare parts? Will most military M98 parts work here?

4) What is a good source for folding leaf express sights for this rifle?

5) Any pros and cons to this rifle?

6) This is a minor point but I’m curious. Is it true that a Mauser 98 action cannot load a single cartridge unless it is first pushed into the magazine?

8) If I buy it, I will probably put a 2-7x Leupold on it for practicality.
These are some of the questions I can help you with.

3) Mauser 98's are very strong and reliable actions probably will not need to many spare parts. Might want to replace the trigger with an after market one but that would be it but you can check here if you ever need any thing: http://www.e-gunparts.com/

4) Brownell's or Midway should have some express sights. New England Gun Company (NEGC) makes some really nice ones and are the ones I'd look for.

5) Pros, control round feeding, proven design, rarely fails. Cons, can't really think of too many.

6) Yep Mausers are kind of tough to load single shot, I think however they can be modified to allow the claw extractor to snap over the rim. Take it to a gunsmith.

8) Great scope choice but you can still find old Denver Redfields and El Paso Weavers in that same power range. Weaver Rings and Bases will work just fine or get some Quick Release Weaver (QRW) style rings with levers so you can use those fancy express sights you want.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 13, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 12, 2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Jimro

500 bucks is a tad high for an FN Mauser in the shape you describe, but with the B&L included in the price it becomes pretty reasonable.

I don't know anyone who ever regretted buying a commercial FN Mauser.

Jimro
Old December 13, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5
salvo

JCCAM, I had hoped somebody may have found more information, such a DOM and such.

I have a Deluxe Commercial FN Mauser in .270 All that I have found was that it was most likely an early one from the 50's because it has a shroud mounted safety.

This was my fathers gun, he gave it to me around 30 years ago and I can tell you it is still one of my most accurate rifles I own. This rifle has accounted for more Mule deer than I could ever remember.
I hope your post gets more info.
Here are a couple of pictures of mine.
I still have the period correct Weaver K4 and rings that came with the rifle, I think I will re-install them.

Old December 13, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
ken22250

dont know much about the FN mauser, i have an old .416 Rigby on a Brevex magnum Mauser action(brevex were french made mausers), and it is an exelent, thier is, in my opinion, no better bolt action available than a mauser style (the 1903 sprg, 1917 enfield, pre-64 win m70, mauser), they were, simple, strong, and reliable.
ken
Old December 13, 2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Savage99

JCCAM,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a FN sporter in 270. While its quite accurate I don't use it as its too heavy for me. Even when I was younger I favored Featherweight rifles in similar cartridges. These days, due to age, I carry a Kimber Montana most.

If you like the rifle buy it. Thats the fun of guns.

Old December 14, 2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Paul B.

I have that very same rifle in 30-06 and one in .270 Win. The 06 had a bad barrel with pits when I got it so now it has a Douglas barrel and sits in a McMillan stock. A bit heavy but very accurate. The .270 is a fairly recent acquisition that someone had done a glass bedding job on the gun. I guess they did something right as the damn thing shoots my 150 gr. handloads into a half inch all day long.
I've used Mauser actions to make up a few rifles over the years and prefe them over everything else including the vaunted Pre-64 Winchester M70. No flames from M70 lover as I've had a few and they're gone and the Mausers stayed.
If I were in need of another Mauser, I'd be all over that one like stink on a skunk.
Paul B.
Old December 14, 2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Savage99

The safety on those FN's is not easy to use nor is it three position. I much prefer the M70 or Kimbers for that reason. I have the rifle only because a buddy wanted to sell it. I looked for it in the safe and I saw that it has no scope on it now!

I like to go around to gunshops. I might put it up on consignment. I have to think about it.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
What is the best source of spare parts? Will most military M98 parts work here?
Midway, Brownells, Numrich. Most M98 parts will fit.
Quote:
What is a good source for folding leaf express sights for this rifle?
Brownells.
Quote:
Is it true that a Mauser 98 action cannot load a single cartridge unless it is first pushed into the magazine?
Most M98 actions are not set up to chamber a round dropped into the receiver or into the chamber. You can check if yours is by trying to single-feed it. If it is not, you can have a smith modify it. Not really a big deal, though. I have never heard of anyone losing a magazine floorplate in the field. At home, yes, but not in the field.
Quote:
Which of these guys is more correct?
To a certain extent, both are correct, and both are wrong. The M98 action does not need the thumb notch in order to properly vent gases from a ruptured case, but it does increase the efficiency of the venting. If Barness had taken a faceful of high-pressure gas, he might not have been writing the article, as it might have taken his eye out. The gas shield on the bolt shroud does a good job of redirecting gases and reducing the effect of a ruptured case, as it did in for him.
Quote:
If the current mounts don’t allow a good fit, can you recommend a good set of mounts that will work well on this rifle and won’t require any further drilling?
That base is from before the 1960s, if I am not mistaken. Back then scopes did not have windage/elevation adjustment turrets. Old Redfield bases had a setup to accomplish the same purpose, and all that survives today are the windage screws. If you decide to replace it, look at Leupold bases.
Quote:
If YOU owned this particular rifle, how would you change it?
I would install an adjustable trigger and a commercial Mauser bolt shroud. The bolt shroud on there is a military-style bolt shroud.
Old December 15, 2008, 08:50 PM   #11
JCCAM

Thanks to all who chimed in with advice! I'm going to buy it.

Hey Scorch, why do recommend replacing the military shroud? What's the advantage of a commercial one? Isn't the military shroud better at deflecting gas in the unlikely event of a ruptured case?

Taylorce1, thanks for the tip on the express sights from New England Gun Company---those are beautiful! Just what I was looking for. Is is too stupid to put those fancy "African" sights on this rifle? Maybe, but this hobby is supposed to be about fun, right?
Old December 16, 2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
Hey Scorch, why do recommend replacing the military shroud?
Appearance, mainly. The commercial shrouds are more streamlined.
Quote:
What's the advantage of a commercial one?
Just appearance. If you put a side-safety trigger on a Mauser in order to avoid having to fiddle with, under, and around the scope to set the safety, they really do look nicer than the military-style bolt shroud.
Quote:
Isn't the military shroud better at deflecting gas in the unlikely event of a ruptured case?
No. The gas shield (the little flange at the front of the shroud/rear of the bolt) is the same in both. The gas shield deflects gases coming down the bolt ways.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:56 AM   #13
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

JCCAM, good decision. Those are neat rifles - if you don't like it, several of us will cheerfully snatch it up.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:04 AM   #14
Ricklin

Safety

I have one as well .270, made about 1953. Sears gun. Wonderfully accurate. It has been my favorite rifle for more years than I care to think about. I upgraded my scope to a Bushnell Elite 4200, lovely scope, as bright as I have ever seen.
My only issue with the rifle is the safety, a little tough to manipulate, and NOISY.
The action is a smooth as a moose s*** pie!
Old December 17, 2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Savage99

Ricklin,

I got a nice ZB Brno that came with a difficult safety. I had my smith install a M70 type safety made by Dakota. It takes some fitting as I understand and cost about $175 for everything. It works perfectly and is quiet.

Old December 17, 2008, 11:04 AM   #16
tulsamal

I've got one of the Sears guns in .270 as well. I love the way that it says FN and Made in Belgium on the side. The Sears markings are only on the barrel. Since that kills pride of ownership (to me) and since I consider .270 Winchester just too plain vanilla, I've got mine at a gunsmith right now. He is going to replace the barrel with a Shilen in .257 Roberts. He is going to ream the chamber for .257 Roberts Improved. Put on a Timney Sportsman trigger and Dakota 3 position safety. I'm going to get a $200 rough inletted walnut stock and then the gunsmith is going to finish it. And he is going to blue the bolt shroud and the extractor where it rides down the side of the bolt. Flush sling swivels. Once I get the rifle in hand, I'll pick out a nice Leupold scope. And I will have exchanged a "Sears rifle" for a fine custom one! Win-win-win!

Gregg
Old December 17, 2008, 01:23 PM   #17
JCCAM

Thanks guys for all your input!

Tulsa, please post pics when your custom rifle is finished. If you want to get rid of any of the parts you're replacing, I'd be interested in picking them up to use in my home gunsmithing education.
Old December 17, 2008, 02:44 PM   #18
taylorce1

Quote:
Taylorce1, thanks for the tip on the express sights from New England Gun Company---those are beautiful! Just what I was looking for. Is is too stupid to put those fancy "African" sights on this rifle?
Not if that is what you want to do with it. Just realize that the more you spend on this rifle the less you will get out of it if you ever decide to part with it.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:46 PM   #19
Jimro

Gregg,

That 270 barrel you are having replaced is chrome lined. I wouldn't have changed it if I were you, but I hope that your 257 Roberts Improved shoots as well as the old 270.

Jimro
Old December 19, 2008, 11:05 AM   #20
tulsamal

Quote:
That 270 barrel you are having replaced is chrome lined. I wouldn't have changed it if I were you, but I hope that your 257 Roberts Improved shoots as well as the old 270.
I don't know if that is true or not. The rifle isn't at my house now since the gunsmith has it. That rifle was never known for tight groups in my experience but it never had a really decent scope on it. It was an old Weaver 1.5-4.5x variable that I finally decided had internal problems and removed. I never did re-scope it and actually shoot it again. That rifle hasn't fired more than 20 rounds since my family moved to Germany in 1978.

1) The barrel says Sears Roebuck on it. Maybe Ted Williams as well. It makes it feel like a department store piece of crap even if we know it isn't. I guess that makes me some kind of gun snob but I knew I would never really get emotionally attached to a Sears marked rifle. I can't imagine being on some expensive once in a lifetime hunt while clutching my Sears rifle to my chest!

2) The barrel was quite slender. I don't want to lug around a bull barrel but that one is really light.

3) The darn thing had permanently mounted iron sights on it. Yuck, yuck, yuck. A light to light-medium rifle at my house can't have iron sights.

4) I'm an "oddball caliber" kind of guy. The very first centerfire rifle I ever bought was a Remington 700 Classic in .350 Remington Magnum. The only 30/06 I own is a Garand. The only .270 Winchester was that Sears Mauser. I'm old enough to know about all the history of the .270 but I've just never been able to get excited about it.

A custom rifle deserves something less common. The .257 Roberts is every bit as effective on deer or antelope as a .270 and (IMO) just screams "classy custom rifle" more than some generic factory chambering like .243, .270, or 30/06. When the gunsmith and I were talking about it, we basically narrowed it down to .257 Roberts or 6.5x55 Swedish. Once I selected the Bob, we decided to go ahead and make it Improved just for the heck of it.

I'll post pictures sometime in late spring when it is finished!

Gregg
Old November 7, 2017, 01:22 PM   #21
gunguy56

I have a custom .25-06 with. a heavy Douglas barrel on a 1948 FN commercial action. There is an oval stamp on the right side of the FN receiver with 1948 inside the oval stamp below the wood line.No thumb slot on the left side of the receiver. I believe that the original owner had used it for prairie dogs, as the rifle will not stabilize typical .25-06 bullet weights used for deer hunting...must be slow twist rifling for ultra light .25 caliber bullets..going to get another barrel so it will shoot deer loads..