Savage Hog Hunter 3 6.25%
Mossberg MVP Patrol 3 6.25%
SKS 7 14.58%
Other 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Malcolm Reynolds

Help Me Choose a Brush/Defense Rifle

I've been wanting to get into boar hunting for a while and I think I'm going to buy a rifle next week with this in mind. But I'd also like something to use as a brush deer rifle and even for defense in a SHTF type of situation (where I might want something more than my pistols or shotguns). This is new ground for me as I've only hunted with shotguns in the past. This would be the first rifle I've owned in a while.

Here are my criteria:
1. Must have iron sights
2. Must have decent capacity
3. Must be under $700

So far I've considered the Marlin 336, the Savage Hog Hunter, the Mossberg MVP Patrol, and an SKS. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, either in the form of a vote for one of these or for something else. Thanks!
"You should not have a favorite weapon.... To become overly attached to one weapon is as bad as not knowing it sufficiently well. You should not imitate others, but use those weapons which suit you, and which you can handle properly." —Miyamoto Musashi
Old August 25, 2017, 09:52 AM   #2
emcon5

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-g...516446285.html

All you would need is a rear sight.
Old August 25, 2017, 09:59 AM   #3
weblance

How about a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum? It meets all your requirements, and is a few dollars shy of $500 online. Ammo is easy to find, something that must be considered in a SHTF situation, and Lee makes the Lee Loader for it and that can be carried in your BOB
Old August 25, 2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Salmoneye

Marlin 1895 in .45-70...
Old August 25, 2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Scoits

Ditto on the 1895 in 45-70
Old August 25, 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Reloadron

Marlin or Winchester lever gun in the cartridge of your choosing. My idea of a brush gun is basically a short handy rifle, for example a carbine. One of my favorites is the long discontinued Ruger 44 Carbine. I want a rifle I can hold vertical by my side which won't drag the barrel on the ground and a rifle which I can come up quick with on target. Hog or deer sized game inside of 100 yards I like the 44 Magnum but choose a cartridge of your liking. I like the 44 Magnum as it is easy to match the rifle to a complimentary side arm if that ever trips your trigger. The 45 Colt I also see as a good choice and if you want more bang the 444 Marlin and 45-70 Government are also nice choices.

Ron
Old August 25, 2017, 07:48 PM   #7
flashhole

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun

or

M1A

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 26, 2017, 01:36 AM   #8
bamaranger

GP rifle

The multi roles you see your new rifle filling Make me think of the Scout Rifle concept. Whether or not your a fan of the scout concept, a short, light portable rifle, of ample caliber, highly reliable and durable, capable of multiple tasks, is basically what you are describing.

Of those on your list, the MVP patrol in .308 seems a likely choice. The Marlin 336 is a very close second. I've got a Savage Hog, and while I like the rifle alot, it is not really light, due to it's medium taper barrel. I've always been an SKS hater.
Old August 26, 2017, 02:46 AM   #9
Model12Win

Since you mentioned defense, as in defense against humans possibly, the SKS if the winner. The other guns mentioned aren't much suitable to that role.
Old August 26, 2017, 06:33 AM   #10
Skadoosh

I have a thing for lever guns...

Old August 26, 2017, 06:36 AM   #11
Mobuck

Although it pains me to say this, short range, fairly large target(s), sort of handy to carry, decent mag capacity, and enough power to be noticed= SKS.
I would prefer a lever 44 mag but the slow reload kills it's other advantages. Compact bolt action has limited mag capacity and is slow to reload/cycle. 45/70 =same plus heavy recoil. 30/30 doesn't offer much more power/range and has similar limits.
Old August 26, 2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Skadoosh

But carrying an SKS makes you look way less cool.
Old August 26, 2017, 07:40 AM   #13
SaxonPig

Asking one gun to fill multiple roles is usually unsatisfying in the long run.

"The other guns mentioned aren't much suitable to that role (defensive)."

Ever seen somebody good with a lever gun on a combat course? I have.

I would suggest a short lever carbine as a viable compromise to your criteria. A 240 grain bullet over 22 grains of 2400 clocks 1980 FPS from the 16" barrel and it is very compact and fast handling.

Old August 26, 2017, 08:38 AM   #14
tobnpr

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER

You didn't clarify whether "must have iron sights" was to be in addition to being able to scope, or instead of...
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; August 26, 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old August 26, 2017, 01:18 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

I voted, "Other": As in lever-action, 44 magnum. It has all the power of a 30-30, and while it gives up some long range trajectory, it gains about double the magazine capacity. I prefer the Marlin 1894. While my choice is the very similar 45 Colt, I do think that the 44 Magnum would probably be a better choice for most folks. Mine is a 14-shot Rifle, but I think the 10-shot Carbine would be just right for the purpose of this discussion. A viable alternative would be the same thing in 357 Magnum.
Old August 26, 2017, 01:25 PM   #16
Pathfinder45

P.S., I see the Marlin 336 is getting the most votes so far. that makes sense to me. Of the listed choices, I would take a lever-action 30-30. You can get great receiver-mounted peep sights for Marlin lever-guns.
Old August 26, 2017, 02:05 PM   #17
raimius

If you intend to put a rail on it for a scope, not the Hog Hunter.
I put a one-piece rail on the top of mine, and it makes it a bit of a pain to reload, since the Hog Hunter has a blind magazine.
Old August 26, 2017, 04:57 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Ammo is easy to find, something that must be considered in a SHTF situation
First off, we don't do SHTF or TEOTWAWKI fantasies here on TFL. They can be entertaining, but there are other places on the web to play those games.

That being said, we do entertain serious discussion about realistic situations where the normal rule of law and order of business could be temporarily interrupted. Fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, volcano, or people rioting like chimps, and their aftermath are acceptable topics. The base understanding is that law & order WILL return. No post apocalyptic fantasies, please.

so, does a certain caliber being easy to find matter that much???

I don't think so. Even if one is cut off from buying ammo the normal way for month (which I consider pretty extreme) is that going to matter??

Yes, if you don't have any ammo of your own, BEFORE the disaster. But if you don't have your own ammo, who's fault is that??

Don't count on being able to scrounge or salvage ammo, because, #1, its called LOOTING and people get shot for that...
#2 what makes you think any place that would have ammo will be deserted, and won't be picked clean well before you get there?
(if you get there early you are a looter!)
and #3, the more popular calibers will be the first ones taken, so odds are small you will be able to resupply during the duration of the emergency. (and even smaller you will be able to legally "resupply". Remember the rule of law will return and there is always the possibility you will have to answer for your actions.

Choose what suits your needs best, and supply yourself with enough to get through any reasonably forseeable tough times. Remember also that if the law is suspended (martial law) sales of all arms, ammo, and alcohol are legally suspended as well. So even if was physically available, you can't legally buy any.

Quote:
Since you mentioned defense, as in defense against humans possibly, the SKS if the winner. The other guns mentioned aren't much suitable to that role.
This is another point. There is a significant difference between justifiable self defense with a rifle and the fantasy of holding off gangs of mutant biker ninja poodles...

An SKS, or something similar, designed for infantry COMBAT will certainly serve. However, even though not optimized for combat, any sporting rifle will provide accurate shots out to ranges where justifiable self defense becomes a questionable matter.
Old August 26, 2017, 05:21 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Go to a pawn shop and find a Remington 760 pump rifle in such as .308 or 30-06. Add a apertures sight (and get rid of that rear leaf sight) and you are good to go. After market companies even make 10 shot mags!

Deaf
Old August 26, 2017, 06:37 PM   #20
flashhole

TEOTWAWKI - what is this?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 26, 2017, 09:57 PM   #21
Deaf Smith

Quote:
TEOTWAWKI - what is this?
The End Of The World As We Know It

Deaf
Old August 26, 2017, 10:24 PM   #22
Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was probably leaning toward a lever gun a little bit and this has put me over the edge. I think I'll go that route. By the way, I wasn't familiar with the acronym "TEOTWAWKI" and I definitely didn't have that type of scenario in mind. Zombie discussions do nothing for me. But I DO think there's plenty of history showing that disruptions to normal law and order do occur from time to time. I appreciate all the advice!
"You should not have a favorite weapon.... To become overly attached to one weapon is as bad as not knowing it sufficiently well. You should not imitate others, but use those weapons which suit you, and which you can handle properly." —Miyamoto Musashi
Old August 27, 2017, 09:37 AM   #23
amprecon

Of the choices given for the purposes given, I'd go for the SKS no question.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old August 27, 2017, 10:30 AM   #24
Ricklin

SKS

I too am a fan of the SKS for the purpose.

Please leave it alone tho. Not a fan of "tarted up" SKS's. In general they are uber reliable with the original 10 round mag.

A recoil pad can add some needed length to the stock, and I hear good things about the aftermarket Tech sights but have no personal experience with them.
Old August 27, 2017, 12:07 PM   #25
Don Fischer

For myself brush and defense gun is like apples and oranges. In both spot's you are going to have to sacrifice something.