The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2015, 11:08 AM   #101
Economist

Quote:

New to reloading
First thought it Dillon 650
Budget is <= Dillon 1050
Could Pass Mechanics 101 with a B maybe an A
Patient & will RTFM
Reloading ~1000 in a sitting
.223 & 9mm now
.308 and derivatives, 5.7x28mm, others later
I was in your shoes a few years ago. I wanted to reload but wanted to start off on the right foot. I found a deal on a used RCBS rock chucker, and l loaded on that for a year or two before I bought my LNL. The single stage press gave me some valuable experience and I still use it for decapping and brass prep.

I'm not saying you have to do the single stage for years, a few months will probably get you the experience necessary. I wouldn't waste my time with a turret press though. Get a deal on a used single stage, run it for a while, and then move up to progressive once you know what to look for.

BTW, I the LNL has met and exceeded my expectations for a progressive press. I have used a Dillon 650 in the past and it was a fine machine, but I prefer the LNL.
Old October 27, 2015, 01:51 PM   #102
jmorris

Marketing at its finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n233sHgQeeI
Old October 28, 2015, 11:58 PM   #103
marine6680

I'm gone a couple days and the thread explodes with more squabbling. Lol

Either way... I have a 650 press sitting in my house, just need to set it up.
Old October 29, 2015, 12:37 AM   #104
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680
I have a 650 press sitting in my house, just need to set it up.
Good for you! That was my first (and only) press also. I can't squabble about comparing which press is better, which one only gets sold due to massive marketing, which one wobbles more than the other, which one is most durable, blah, blah, blah...blah, but I CAN say that my press seems to be built quite well and the customer support I have received has been great.

The first press I learned on was a Dillon 550. During that learning process, I was distracted by a primer shuttle (my term) that would stick. Somewhere during that process I loaded a couple of squibs. That's when I decided I wanted an auto indexing press. Basically all you can do to make a dangerous round is to drop zero (or too little) powder, or double charging. I suppose you could also do something like seat the bullet WAY too deep causing the round to have too much pressure, but that is fairly unlikely if you are doing QC. Running through the possibilities, I can not imagine what could cause you to double charge, and checking for the proper amount of powder is as simple as looking into the case.

I have found the Dillon powder drop to be EXTREMELY accurate and consistent. Make sure you follow a beginning formula, verify the primer is seated sufficiently (not seating enough could cause it to fire when chambering), measure the round OAL, drop it in a gauge, and you should be good to go.

I would also HIGHLY recommend the Inline Skylight if you are in the years where it is difficult to see in low light.

Have fun and be safe!

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old October 29, 2015, 12:58 AM   #105
McCarthy

Another nice mod is the primer chute. Unless you like your primers all over the place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281764194984
Old October 29, 2015, 05:40 AM   #106
Spats McGee
Staff

Enough.