The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 3, 2014, 02:30 PM   #51
SansSouci

Sevens,

You might want to do a Google search of problems associated with firing .357 Mag rounds exclusively out of an "K" Frame.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:36 PM   #52
Sevens

Quote:
Anyone who says the 686 trigger is better than the GP100, has not compared recently manufactured examples. I have a 686, and its trigger is certainly NOT any better than my GP100. Both revolvers were manufactured in 2012.
I would have to agree with that. Smith & Wesson is willfully doing something to the double action trigger of the new guns where you draw the trigger back 85% of it's travel and the damn thing hits a wall, stops dead, and requires excessive pressure to break it on a double action pull.

I first found this in a 2011-built four inch 686+ that my buddy purchased new.

To a guy that considers himself a long time, full bore fan of the Smith & Wesson double action revolver, the double action trigger on these new ones is an abomination. But I will admit that I've only pulled the trigger on four of these newer ones. (but all four did exactly the same thing... I don't think it's an anomaly)

I also don't think it's a "new gun that hasn't been broken in" or a "lack of internal finishing and polishing" on a new production, mass-produced product. Instead, it just seems to me like it's a design or "feature."
Old March 3, 2014, 02:40 PM   #53
Sevens

Quote:
Sevens,

You might want to do a Google search of problems associated with firing .357 Mag rounds exclusively out of an "K" Frame.
Spare me.
Smith & Wesson also had to address the Model 29 revolvers with a durability update when the silhouette shooters began rattling them loose with heavy loads that the Ruger, Dan Wesson and Freedom guns digested without similar problems, but only a fool would make such a silly statement as the Model 29 "is not a true .44 Magnum."

Your statement is absolute nonsense and you're alone, out in left field with it.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #54
SansSouci

Sevens,

If you're good, I'm good.

BTW, I'm batting clean-up.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:52 PM   #55
leadcounsel

Seems there are a few revolvers that could be crowned king. Does it really matter?

This is like a debate about which Formula One car is faster. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

The GP100, along with some other Ruger, SW and Colt revolvers, are top of the food chain.

It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100. And for that matter, a handful of other models and designs.

It does crack me up when folks look down their nose at the GP100. As if they themselves have designed and produced anything of such incredible usefulness.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:53 PM   #56
SansSouci

lead,

To me, it doesn't matter. When winnowing is done, it's preference.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:59 PM   #57
BigJimP

Mike Irwin said ..... quote ...

"Not.

Even.

Close.

I'd take a rusty, shot out S&W Model 19 before I'd every consider going with a GP 100."
----------------
I'm with him in this discussion - hands down.../ life is too short to own and shoot 7th or 8th place revolvers...
Old March 3, 2014, 03:10 PM   #58
floydster

The S&W guys are alot like the Harley guys, in a fog so to speak.
If they only knew
Old March 3, 2014, 03:15 PM   #59
mavracer

Quote:
I looks to me like he's read them just fine, you should try actually reading them a M19 will live just finr shooting 158gr it's the 125gr nuclear loads that erode the forcing cone and lead to cracks.

Quote:
It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100.
Here's on from Ruger forum the OP admitted to many thousand max loadings of H110 and 125gr bullets but ultimatly Ruger is not immune to erosion and will eventually crack.

My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old March 3, 2014, 03:23 PM   #60
Strafer Gott

I think the GP 100 probably is the king of the economy wheelguns. I hope that wasn't too damaging an endorsement. That new variant (match champion?) seems a little better, but the price is up there with S&W.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:36 PM   #61
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The S&W guys are alot like the Harley guys, in a fog so to speak.
If they only knew"

If only I knew what?

That I've fired -- extensively -- every double-action revolver Ruger has offered in the past 40 years, and I keep going back to Smith & Wessons?

You're right. I do know. I know that the extra lead brick that Ruger puts in its revolver isn't something that I need or want.

I know that I've never found a trigger on a Ruger that could be gunsmithed even remotely close to what a Smith trigger can.

I know that I'm not running 5,000 full-bore-magnum rounds through my Smiths every other Tuesday and twice on Sundays, so this mystical "durability" edge Ruger supposedly has is something I'm never going to approach.

I know that esthetically Rugers look as if the eagle on the grips has taken a plopper on them.

I know that every time I pick up a Smith I'm picking up a legendary firearm whose design was largely perfected before Bill Ruger's Mom gave him his first binky.

Does that make Ruger revolvers bad revolvers?

Nope.

It does, however, make them revolvers that I have no real desire to own.

So yeah. You're right.

I KNOW.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:37 PM   #62
amd6547

I used to own a 686-3 4", and I liked it "OK"...but compared to my old favorites, the Model 19 and model 15, the 686-3 felt like a brick, and I never shot it that well.
Sold it.
Last year, I bought a 3" GP100 fixed sight, and I love it. I did some of my best shooting ever with it, on it's first range trip.
Made in 2013, the trigger is fantastic. Very smooth in DA, and short and crisp in SA.
Before I got it, I read up on GP trigger jobs, intending to dive in polishing, changing springs, etc.
It quickly became obvious that my GP trigger needs nothing...it is even better than my well used S&W 19 and 15.
Is the GP100 "the best DA revolver ever"? I would not presume to make such a statement...but for me, yes, the GP100 is the best DA revolver for me.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:39 PM   #63
Mike Irwin
Staff

"It is noteworthy that I have yet to read any internet stories or have personal experiences with a fatal mechanical failure in a GP100."

Friend of mine bought one when we got out of college... 1987 or 1988.

Few hundred rounds in and the frame cracked at the barrel lug.

Ruger took care of it, replaced the gun, and last I heard he still has it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:48 PM   #64
TunnelRat

Quote:
ll Ruger, while proud of his first double action revolver, the Security Six, and its siblings, decided that it couldn't stand the constant pounding from the 357 cartridge, so the GP100 was designed to handle that.
Say what? Last I heard the Security Six was a tank of a pistol.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 3, 2014, 04:50 PM   #65
floydster

Mike, glad you like your S&W, more GP's for us
Old March 3, 2014, 04:57 PM   #66
SansSouci

Mike,

It's logical fallacy to define a rule by its exception. I've owned a piece of crap Model 586. I would not extrapolate my experience to all 586's.

We would be remiss were we to not look at a gun's intended purpose. The GP 100 from my estimation, is above all else a duty/working gun designed to fire .357 Mag loads.
Old March 3, 2014, 05:58 PM   #67
SansSouci

mavracer,

Two guns that are consistently considered the two best .357 Mag revolvers are the Model 27 & Python. Both of these guns were designed on frames larger than the "K" Frame.
Old March 3, 2014, 06:10 PM   #68
ChiefTJS

All comes down to opinions, the Smith and Colt guys just voice theirs louder here. I've been shooting versions from all three companies for over 25 years and the one I'd grab first and do more often than not is a GP. Great gun, all have strong points but overall I simply prefer the GP.
Old March 3, 2014, 06:21 PM   #69
mavracer

Quote:
Two guns that are consistently considered the two best .357 Mag revolvers are the Model 27 & Python. Both of these guns were designed on frames larger than the "K" Frame.
What does that have to do with you're incorrect statement about the K frames strength?
Old March 3, 2014, 06:56 PM   #70
savit260

Quote:
The GP100 is the most robust production DA 357magnum revolver ,this is very true , cast investment or carbon steel.

!!
Incorrect.

Just not true. The .357 Ruger Redhawk and the Colt Mk.V's are both stronger guns than the GP-100

Quote:
There`s some better , some fit better , some shinier some heavier , BUT ya gotta go to a custom shop with custom prices
While a .357 Redhawk will run you a a few bucks, a used Colt Mk V is NOT a big dollar gun.

The GP-100 is a VERY good gun. I would have no reservations saying it's one of the better current production .357's on the market, but greatest of all time?

Sorry, too many other fine 357's out there to hang that crown on it.

A solid argument could be made that it's the best value in a new production .357 though.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:04 PM   #71
Guv

A "rusted shoot out Model 19 over a GP 100"! Now that's just silly A Colt MkV is the same size as a GP 100 and to lump it in with a 357 Red Hawk is just wrong. I have and prefer Smiths but Ruger GP's, SP's, Security Six's and Red Hawks are excellent guns. Greatest of all time S&W Triple Lock!
Old March 3, 2014, 08:20 PM   #72
savit260

Quote:
A Colt MkV is the same size as a GP 100 and to lump it in with a 357 Red Hawk is just wrong
How so? The post I was replying to stated that the GP 100 was the most robust double action .357.

I gave two examples of .357's that are more robust than the GP.

One would be the Redhawk. I don't think anyone is going to argue that a GP 100 is more robust than that.

... and the MKV Colt's , while the same size as a GP are made of a better quality forged steel, and stronger steel with a super strong action. A VERY robust mid size.

Redhawk>Colt MkV>GP-100

Quote:
Greatest of all time S&W Triple Lock!
I agree that a solid argument can be made for the Triple Lock.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:01 PM   #73
Chard

The Security Six had parts that were hand fitted. It was all about the Benjamins when the GP100 came out. With that being said I like my GP100.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:35 PM   #74
Guv

MkV Colt locks the cylinder in 1 place, unless you are counting the cylinder locking bolt. The GP100 has 2, 1 of which is the very secure crane lock point. What about the MkV action is so much stronger, isn't it allot like the Mk3 action but with a coil main spring rather than a leaf main spring? Now I do really like a Mk3 Colt, something about an exposed back strap that does it for me, especially if it has some nice grooves machined in it along with some pretty grips. Not a fan of a post type grip frame, except maybe on a Contender.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:46 PM   #75
mavracer

Quote:
Greatest of all time S&W Triple Lock!
So the greatest 357 is actually a 44 special