The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 15, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
FJ4ZROX

Gun Safe: Fort Knox vs Browning???

Question -

Now that my safe lock is working again, I'm finding more and more things migrating into it. I can foresee a need for a 2nd safe - leaving my current one for ammo/misc.

So, what says those that are "in the know" about safe construction/quality - looking at the Fort Knox Legend and Browning Platinum. Which would you recommend, and why? Any extra options I should consider?

Thanks!!
Old May 15, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Sixer

I just watched a great video on YouTube about gun safes... The dealer was very high on Fort Knox. His main point was to do your research before buying... which you're obviously doing

Here ya go - http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
dreamweaver

take a look at liberty safes. save a couple bucks. check their fire/water ratings and compare.

tom
Old May 15, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
FJ4ZROX

I have a Liberty (rebranded as a Remington) right now...don't know about current designs, but the old ones had the internal hinges, which provides a weak spot for fire resistance.

I'm thinking the Fort Know or Browning have the features I want/need...without spending the big bucks on a Brown or ????
Old May 15, 2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Sigowner

Really difficult to make a recommendation without understanding what your needs and wants are for safe #2. I just bought a Fort Know but because they allow you to customize their safes it's an avenue that can provide upgraded security, both fire and theft, for less than what you pay for their basic upper end models. I laid in a lot of steel including the "super trength" Knoxarmor and ending with 1" in the door and 13/16 in the body. However, I opted for their standard fire protection for several reasons.....std. fire protection is more than adequate for the average house fire and burn duration, the added fire protection significantly reduces available interior space and the weight, in my case, would exceed 2100lbs.

If you don't get the smooth shiny paint job and start with something like the Protector or Defender you reduce the cost about $400 just for paint difference.

Check them thoroughly and do your comparison homework before laying down extra dollars for the "look".
Old May 15, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Toolman

Just remember the old rule of spending. You pretty much get what you pay for.
Quote from Brownells:
Quote:
It's unwise to pay too much...but it's worse when you pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money...that is all. when you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
oneounceload

Many of these US-named companies are now making a portion of their product line in China - as is LL BEan, Woolrich, etc, so nothing new - except it might be harder to tell which models are made where. Thick steel is one thing, but the hardness and quality can be something entirely different. Fire ratings based on some sheetrock versus poured-in-place material changes things as well

Talking to a locksmith who sells different brands might be something you want to consider
Old May 16, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Technosavant

You may also wish to look into the American Security BF series... they're very good quality and it's hard to beat the amount of features for the price.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
FJ4ZROX

Looks like the corner bolts start on the Guardian series by Ft. Knox.

A friend has an 8 yr old Browning that seems really stout - much heavier than my Remington, and seemingly better constructed. I like the new "scope saver" storage Browning too.

Still pondering and looking at features/options/customization possibilities.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Te Anau

Heres the best primer Ive seen on how to buy a safe.

http://www.southernsecuritysafes.com/index2.html
Old May 18, 2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Sigowner

Actually corner bolts can be put on any safe....it's part of the customization for Fort Knox safes and you usually end up with more bolts overall. My Defender does not come standard with corner bolts and it has only 11 total. I added the corner bolt option and the total number went from 11 to 18. THat's why I suggested you do some homework on them.....custom means custom.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:59 AM   #12
FJ4ZROX

I'll have to contact them directly, because I'm getting limited support from my local dealer. The main thing I gathered from the Ft Knox web site, was there are customizable features, but also the higher you went in the product line, the more features were included as "standard".

And honestly, I'm not trying to protect a couple of Ruger or Bersa pistols with a high end safe...just looking for any input on the 2 manufacturers and their higher end home safe products.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Bill Daniel

Gun Safe: Fort Knox vs Browning

I have had a Fort Knox for 20 years. I would consider the desired size and fire protection status. Unless the criminal knows where the safe is and is prepared with the skills and tools to break it open and has the time to do so when no one will interupt him it is unlikely that he will bother trying. The fire protection will help but not enough to keep an heirloom gun in heirloom shape in event of housefire with the heat, smoke and steam from putting the fire out. I chose Fort Knox because Chuck Yeager advertised them but for the purpose of preventing theft or unauthorized handleing (children) either would be good.
All the Best,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old May 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #14
FJ4ZROX

Thanx for the responses and input...seems like their top end offerings are both capable of doing the intended job.

I swear I'm going to start looking at designs/plans for my next place with the thought of "which room will need a vault door and concrete walls for fire protection?"
Old May 21, 2012, 07:49 AM   #15
BoogieMan

Buy american. Go with a Liberty.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 21, 2012, 08:14 AM   #16
FJ4ZROX

Quote:
Buy american. Go with a Liberty.
Isn't the Ft Know made in USA? I'm not sure about the Browning's....
Old May 21, 2012, 08:27 AM   #17
a1abdj

Quote:
Buy American.

I wouldn't go as far as saying just because you're buying an American made safe you are buying a quality product. Most people don't even know how American these American products are. Some companies go as far to misrepresent Chinese safes as American. Others offer (or have offered) American built safes that use steel and components made in China, assembled here in the US by illegal Mexian labor.

Although I support buying American made products, the truth of the matter is that it may offer more "feel good" than it does support for our country.

Quote:
Isn't the Ft Know made in USA? I'm not sure about the Browning's....
Both companies build safes in the US. Browning (Prosteel) does import some of their lower line safes.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:27 AM   #18
Psychbiker

Safes are an investment, you have to think of it that way. Unfortunately we as as gun owners rather spend on a gun than a safe. The fact we justify having thousands of dollars on a firearm and scimping on a safe is funny to me....I just did it.

I would search Craigslist in your area.

To me, weight and fire rating and most important. Depending on your location, safe neighborhood and the amount of people that know you have a safe and guns, will determine what you need.

I found a 1200lb old safe online for $375. I put $40 in the interior, painted it and sold it for $1,100 and bought a 3,000lb double door 4 hour fire Mosler. Now this safe is T-20 which is only tamper proof HOWEVER it will prevent the normal snatch and grab thief. A pro safe cracker is going to get in any Liberty, Cannon, etc out there that is not Tl-30 or higher. A hole saw to the side or back of the safe to allow access to the combo back panel and the safe is open.

That being said....

Get a heavy safe that cannot be tipped to pry open and invest in a motion alarm system and loud neighbor waking alarm. I plan on getting a motion alarm system that will email/text me when it is triggered.

There are some insane safes out there that run $7,000+ that have ballistic panels around and ball bearing panels that destroy drill bits.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:27 PM   #19
BoogieMan

Quote:
Some companies go as far to misrepresent Chinese safes as American. Others offer (or have offered) American built safes that use steel and components made in China, assembled here in the US by illegal Mexian labor.
Not to get off subject to much. But, I buy a lot of metals (20k lbs a year) its nearly imposable to get metals made in the USA. The tree huggers traded Bethlehem Steel for office buildings. Many grades of metals are only available from China. Most of our SS comes from Italy. Aluminum is the only thing that buy almost exclusively domestic.
Very few if any companies hire illegal labor. Its illegal and the department of labor does check up on it. If they are hired its because they have the proper documents.
The only Brownings I have seen (places like Bass Pro) are not US made.
The feel good of buying American is good enough for me. We have to start someplace, I wasn't trying to imply that only Liberty is US made. IMO they make a great product.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 21, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
robertsig

I don't think there is much difference between all the 12 gauge steel safes sold in big box gun stores. Liberty, Browning, Winchester, etc. Take your pick.

For a step up in quality, look at AMSEC, Zykan or Sturdy. I wish I could buy one myself, but their weight and price are limiting factors in my house.

I ended up going with a little company in California called Sun Welding Safe. They use USA steel and can custom make it to your specifications for close to the same price as their standard offerings. I also got it in 10 gauge. I love my safe.
Old April 26, 2014, 01:28 AM   #21
bsg1

….

Last edited by bsg1; April 26, 2014 at 03:56 AM.