The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
ilbob

saiga

A gun dealer I shoot with told me last night he sold off the last of 6 saiga 12 gauge shotguns he got in a week ago. $700 each.

12 round mags he has for $60 each.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 1, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Chuckusaret

In my book your friend is called a crook. The going price in my area is $500 to $550 and mags are $25 to $30 each.
I would take my business elsewhere.
Old April 1, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
ilbob

In my book, it is called market pricing. Its clear that there is a huge market for such things that is not well served. At least in this area.

That is not criminal. it is entrepreneurial.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
oneounceload

It obviously isn't too much if people are willing to pay it.

Look at the prices in Gander - G18 33 rounds magazines that were 29.99 went to 34.99, then 39.99 now 59.99

Called supply and demand and free enterprise - and you are free to spend it there or someplace else
Old April 1, 2009, 01:41 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Price gouging laws only affect price increases during "catastrophe" and a political tin hat mentality does not a catastrophe make... BANG ON FREE MARKET!!!! That is what made this nation great! Supply and demand not hindered by big gubmint! Heck I wouldn't mind a bit had gubmint never broken up the rail and oil monopolies as those were smart business men at their finest!
I am just not going to be part of the "demand" end of the frenzy... This old bull is just slowly gonna walk down the hill after all the young bulls get done runnin the fat off the heifers...
Brent
Old April 1, 2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

Not sure what the point is to this thread. What model of Saiga 12, were they pistol griped or plain ? The pistol griped models are at a premium right now.

The Saiga guns that we sell come with standard 5 round mags in the box, 8 rounders are usually a bit more expensive and if he is selling soviet made polymer 8 rounders for under a $100 dollar bill tell me who, I'll buy them!

What bothers me about some of the folks that yell "Price gouging" seem to be the one's who bought cases of .223 from our shop last week to take to the gunshow this weekend and sell at a profit. ISN'T that the same thing?

The market place for products is a interesting beast, there are true scoundrels in it, that is for sure. However, the market also tells you when the price is too high, or the product is less than adequate, the stuff left on the shelf after a buying frenzy. All in all, we the consumers set the price for these items, since guns and ammo are not food, water or gasoline we as a group can dictate to the market by not spending. So far, that has not been the case. The bubble is still there, though flattening a little, and besides suppliers running low on product I can't see that changing in the short term.

Not that it helps, but for those of use who have been prepared, these times are annoying, for those who are not, it will only get worse.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old April 1, 2009, 11:13 PM   #7
B. Lahey

Mine cost a few hundred bucks less than that a few years ago, but prices for everything have gone up the last few years. It's not surprising that's what they go for now.

If they are 10 round AGP or 12 round Surefire mags, he's only making $10 a magazine. Expensive plastic. 5 round Russian Saiga mags aren't cheap either and the Russian 8 round mags are like golden chickenteeth.