The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Green Lantern

Shell opinion

Nobelsport brand of shell.

Approve or disapprove?
Old September 19, 2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Don Fischer

Never heard of then but then I only buy factory shot shell's to get the case's. I'm a one piece shell snob. I have shot some shells with paper and even plastic base wad's but once and throw them away. I know a lot of guy's that actually re-load those thing's!
Old September 19, 2017, 01:43 PM   #3
FITASC

Nobelsports are decent enough in their price range. One thing you might encounter if shooting in colder weather might be some bloopers. In the same price range, typically, you can also find Herters and RIOs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 20, 2017, 02:13 AM   #4
Rob228

They were my wife's primary trap round, never had an issue in her Beretta 686.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...37913000373.do
Old September 20, 2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Dynamit Nobel has been around a very long time.
There's those damned apostrophes again!
Old September 20, 2017, 02:18 PM   #6
stuckinthe60s

if you buy them just for the cases, stick with good remingtons.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old September 21, 2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Green Lantern

Thank you so much guys.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:42 AM   #8
eastbank

FEDERAL ONE 0UNCE # 8 at 1290fps for $50.24 a flat at wallmart. eastbank.
Old September 23, 2017, 09:03 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Quote:
if you buy them just for the cases, stick with good remingtons.
I'll second that. I always leave the skeet and trap field cleaner than I found it if Remington STS, Nitro27, Gun Clubs, ShurShot, or Clay and Field hulls are laying on the ground. I don't even bother with Winchester AA hulls anymore.
Old September 24, 2017, 02:02 AM   #10
Rob228

Quote:
I'll second that. I always leave the skeet and trap field cleaner than I found it if Remington STS, Nitro27, Gun Clubs, ShurShot, or Clay and Field hulls are laying on the ground. I don't even bother with Winchester AA hulls anymore.
I don't reload, but after a trip to W. VA finding a bunch of Remington STS and Nitro 27's at Walmart for $6.99 a box I had guys at the trap range (Ohio) offering .10 a hull for them. I gave all the empties to one of the old timers there who spent hours teaching my wife to shoot. He then showed me a Nitro 27 hull that he reloaded 56 times that now sits behind the counter at the range.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:52 AM   #11
B.L.E.

I get rid of them when the crimp folds start splitting. Once fired Gun Clubs are so easy to pick up off the ground that there's no point in milking the maximum number of reloads out of them.
A weak easy to open crimp makes for blooper loads, the last thing I need when shooting registered trap.
Old September 24, 2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Ricklin

6-8 or thereabouts

Gun club hulls are just about all a guy needs.

I get 6-8 reloads out of them, and have a couple of big garbage bags full of them.

The STS hulls are even better, but are harder to come by. Sometimes I separate out hulls if I am doing different loads. I'll use the STS hulls for full 1 1/8 legal loads for handicap, and one ounce for the 16 yard line in gun club hulls.

I like the Remington hulls a lot, I don't have to do anything to my machine but change the charge bar, and keep pulling that handle.

Getting a little tired of the handle, I have the pieces for a pneumatic helper system. Too many projects right now, that one will wait.
Old September 24, 2017, 11:51 AM   #13
FITASC

I get more reloads from Gun Clubs than I do from the Nitro/STS, and I reload them until they get so crispy they no longer fully close when crimped or they split. Reloads only get used for practice; registered shoots get factory ammo.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 24, 2017, 06:18 PM   #14
B.L.E.

If you like Gun Clubs, you'll love the new American Clay and Field hulls. They take the same load data as Gun Clubs but have a smooth and translucent plastic body. You can hold them up to the light and see the wad column in a loaded shell.