The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Mac 1

S&W M&P 15-22

I went to Wal Mart for my daily disappointment in not finding any ammo, when I saw this little S&W M&P. It looked kinda cool, so I picked it up and brought it home. I'm not big into the 22 rifles but, this thing looked pretty neat. Do any of you guys have one? If so, do you like it/ hate it or have any comments? My 9 year old Grandson will be coming to stay with me for a week. I thought maybe he would get a kick out of it. He's a lefty and I got him a little left 22 handed Savage bolt action. He doesn't know about either rifle so, this oughta be a blast for him.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

My shooting buddy and I have 4 of them between us. Reliable, easy to clean, easy to shoot, fun and accurate is all I can say about them.

I have pretty well parked the GSG5 since I got it and the only other 22 rifle I shoot is my 9422. It is just that much fun.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
B. Adams

I have one. It's much more reliable that any other AR style .22 I've used, which is why I chose it. Great little guns. I'm sure your grandson will love shooting it!
Old March 2, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
BillyJack3

Sounds like you sir have stumbled upon what many regard as the finest AR style .22 on the market. There is a huge following for the 15-22 and it is extremely reliable. It's a ton of fun and can be fitted with most any AR accessory. It functions and acts like an AR as well and makes a nice trainer for the platform. Most other competitors to the 15-22 "look" like an AR but don't function like one (last round bolt hold back). That said, it does have it's differences in size and you can't slap an AR upper on it.

Mags are hard to find right now and go for a hefty premium but that should work itself out over time.

Congrats on a great fine! There are a few people I know that stalk their local Walmarts every morning before work hoping one showed up in the shipment.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
2ndtimer

I love mine. It is so much fun to blast away at gophers with 5 or 6 round mulitiple volleys. Just wish I had ordered a short 10 round mag for bench use before they become unavailable/hideously expensive. I will make do with my 6 25 rounders until they become available once again.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
QuarterHorse

I have one and love it. It usually goes to the range with me every time.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:55 AM   #7
arizona98tj

Very popular....got mine some time ago when they were first hitting the market. Have enjoyed it. Quite a following of owners over on the S&W forum. The 15-22 has its own sub-forum with a lot of activity.

Old March 4, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
EAJ702

I purchased this one a few years ago. They’re fun and I haven’t experienced any problems to date. The only ammo I experienced feed and extraction issues with was Remington Gold box. Enjoy!

Old March 10, 2013, 10:50 AM   #9
454me

I have about 1500 rounds through mine and have no complaints. What I found different about it was that the sights were dead on right out of the box. Don,t think I have ever had that before. Highly recommend it. Its about the only gun I am shooting right now since there is no ammo to be had. Luckily in 1999 I started buying a couple of boxes of 550 rounds every time I would go to Walmart. So I have lots of them to use up.

http://community.webshots.com/user/454me
Old March 10, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Love mine. Took it out to the range with the family today in fact. I did a review a while back but it may help you with some of your decisions...

M&P 22 Review Link
Old March 11, 2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Guv

My son has had one for about a couple of yrs, it has been perfect. It has a 3X9X40 Simmons on raiser blocks and a light mounted on the rail, awesome varmint gun around the farm. And it will shoot anything, my only regret is not buying 2 of them!
Old March 11, 2013, 06:08 PM   #12
bbqbob51

Another thumbs up!

As a matter of fact I give the 15-22 TWO thumbs up! It is gas to shoot, reliable and accurate. I put a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot scope on it and it is probably my most fun gun to shoot. Everyone who has shot it wants to buy one.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:44 PM   #13
JWT

You picked up a great little gun. They're quite accurate and very similar to actual ARs in most respects. My grandson has been shooting mine since he was 10 and loves it. The collapsable stock makes it easy for him to shoot. Mine has never malfunctioned using Federal and CCI Blazer bulk pack ammo. Congrats on a good purchase.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:27 PM   #14
slim9300

S&W M&P 15-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack3 View Post
Sounds like you sir have stumbled upon what many regard as the finest AR style .22 on the market. There is a huge following for the 15-22 and it is extremely reliable. It's a ton of fun and can be fitted with most any AR accessory. It functions and acts like an AR as well and makes a nice trainer for the platform. Most other competitors to the 15-22 "look" like an AR but don't function like one (last round bolt hold back). That said, it does have it's differences in size and you can't slap an AR upper on it.

Mags are hard to find right now and go for a hefty premium but that should work itself out over time.

Congrats on a great fine! There are a few people I know that stalk their local Walmarts every morning before work hoping one showed up in the shipment.
Exactly.

My favorite little plinker.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Quentin2

My buddy picked up one of the early M&P15-22 versions a couple years ago and it's a great little rifle. It was the basic model (no muzzle device) that sold for about $400. Very light and works well. I got the basic Colt M4 .22lr for about $450 and we often take them to the range or desert. Each has advantages and disadvantages (though no deal breakers) but in the end both are good quality and lots of fun.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #16
deadduck357

They're a great rimfire. Like mentioned above - probably the best .22 AR on the market. I have had one for about a year or more now without any issues and the females wanted one for themselves so I got them one also, now there are two under the roof.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:16 PM   #17
sholling

I've got one and they're a good little plinker and low-cost training tool. The only thing I didn't like was the GI trigger so I dropped in a Rock River Arms 2-stage. It's no Geissele but it's good enough for what I'll use it for.

Old March 17, 2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Marquezj16

Easily one of my most fun rifles. I use to shoot a box of ammo each time we go to the range with it. It is a great training tool to introduce new shooters to the AR15 rifle. Very accurate to the limitation of the ammo. Mine functions 100% with most ammo except for Winchester bulk.