The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 10:25 AM   #26
leadchucker

You are correct.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Flopsweat

I have yet to see any evidence - other than anecdotal - that open carry greatly increases the odds that (1) A bad guy will grab you gun from you (2) You will be the first person shot in a robbery. We have states where open carry has always been legal, so if these were common scenarios I'd expect us to have solid evidence of that by now. I think this may be one of those assumptions that we make that turns out not to be true.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #28
Closing The Gap

lcpiper-

You posted two not three references that came about over a period of 3 years. The third story makes no mention of whether the man was CC or OC. I open carry because it's my right, I also am always aware of my surroundings. I have only had one incident where my weapon needed to be drawn and that was many years ago when I only CC'd. The poor mexican kid with the extremely large wheel gun sure had a surprise that day. Since myself and my wife have been OCing neither of us has had a single incident. So by your standards CC is more dangerous since we have had more trouble with it than OC.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:24 AM   #29
SoleShtr

Re: I open carried today

Here in Wisconsin, OC was legal before we were able to CC. With that said I have yet to OC. My thoughts are this. I'm one of the GGs who will never be the first to draw my pistol. It will always be the BG up to no good who will be the first to display a weapon. This always give him the advantage. If I was OCing and he sees that, he is going to eliminate anyone he sees as a threat just as we would be as the GGs in a SHTF scenario. I would be the first in his crossairs and he has his gun already drawn. If I'm CCing, he may pay me no attention and be none the wiser. Now I have the advantage.

Now could OC deter the BG from carrying out a potential crime? Sure could. Seeing me with a gun might make him think this is not the place to be and move onto the next gas station or restaurant. I'm sorry, but I'm not counting on a BG to provide any rational judgement and sacrafice any advantage I have to try to avoid any potential harm to me. Now is there any actual rock solid proof that you are better off CCing. Probably not. But thinking it through logically, it seems better to me. I'm all for those who do OC, but I choose not to myself.

Last edited by SoleShtr; February 18, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:05 AM   #30
Closing The Gap

I guess that depends on who's logic you're using. I welcome any and all factual stories that show the BG shooting the GG who open carried.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:51 AM   #31
bubbaturbo

Quote:
I guess that depends on who's logic you're using. I welcome any and all factual stories that show the BG shooting the GG who open carried.
Even if there are absolutely no factual stories at present, I wonder if an increase in OC means that we'll have the first one soon. Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't. That's my logic.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:28 PM   #32
Wrothgar

I don't have a problem with OC, but I wouldn't ever do it. As far as the "crime deterrent" argument goes, my thought is this: I'm in a gas station check out line. Bad gun walks in with a gun in his pocket to rob the place. He sees the gun on my hip and thinks to himself "Oh, I'll just shoot him first."

That said, I absolutely believe in the right to OC and say "good on ya" to those of you that can/do practice. Unfortunately, my state is becoming more and more commified.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:26 AM   #33
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothgar
I don't have a problem with OC, but I wouldn't ever do it. As far as the "crime deterrent" argument goes, my thought is this: I'm in a gas station check out line. Bad gun walks in with a gun in his pocket to rob the place. He sees the gun on my hip and thinks to himself "Oh, I'll just shoot him first."

That said, I absolutely believe in the right to OC and say "good on ya" to those of you that can/do practice. Unfortunately, my state is becoming more and more commified.
(bold added for emphasis)

OK, see, this is exactly what we're talking about. What you say makes sense on the surface, but at the end of the day it's just a guess. There don't seem to be any substantial number of cases of this actually happening. If I were to guess I'd say if there were, somebody somewhere would be making a big deal of it just to use it against us.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:40 AM   #34
SgtLumpy

Quote:

...As far as the "crime deterrent" argument goes, my thought is this: I'm in a gas station check out line. Bad gun walks in with a gun in his pocket to rob the place. He sees the gun on my hip and thinks to himself "Oh, I'll just shoot him first."
I don't think I agree. The guy looking to rob a gas station needs a hundred bucks for a hit of dope. He's not going there with the intent of killing anyone. He's going to try and pick a gas station that looks "easy". If the cops are there having coffee, or if a citizen is there armed, or even if it just looks like there's a lot of people there, or there's a lot of cameras, that makes it look "less easy". If the target store doesn't look "do-able", I believe the bad guy is going to either choose another store or at least wait until things look easier at this store.

Armed robbers, any criminals, aren't simply mindless zombies. They employ human thought processes just like good guys. We may disagree with their choice of lifestyle or method of income, but they still think about their own safety and survival above all else. Just like we do.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 20, 2013, 04:22 PM   #35
dajowi

Although I live in a rural community in 40 years I've never seen a single person open carry a firearm anywhere but up in the hills. I've seen some badly "concealed" concealed handguns off and on over the years.

A single individual walking around with a gun on his hip isn't a deterrent.
A million individuals walking around with guns on their hips probably is.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:49 PM   #36
RangerHAAF

Open carry is my preferred way of carrying a handgun. Honestly until the anti-gunners tried to ban guns in 1993-94 I never owned one. I bought my first gun for $350 dollars(a Norinco AK-47 in the spring of 1987) when I was in the army and that was enough for me, no big deal and it was my favorite past time to go and shoot it on the weekends. I still have it and bought another post ban one around 2000, no difference except the bayonet mount and the single piece buttstock.

The only reason that I did go and buy a handgun was that I did enjoy shooting the then new M9 Beretta 9mm pistols that were being issued to replace the Colt 45 ACPs. I had a choice of buying a Browning Hi-Power, a Ruger P85 or one of the newly marketed Glocks. I chose the Ruger because of the price, looking back I think I should have chosen the Browning, I just appreciate it's lines, tight lockup and exposed hammer. That hasn't changed.

I just personally believe in carrying guns the old way, open in a holster and gunbelt.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 20, 2013, 08:35 PM   #37
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Unfortunately OC just riles up the anti gunners.
GOOD! I hope I **** them off everytime I leave my house!
They're going to be ****** off anyway, how cares?

R.I.P.____Murphy

Last edited by SauerGrapes; February 20, 2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 21, 2013, 04:08 AM   #38
Flopsweat

I'm not actively interested in ticking people off, it's just that I'm a actively disinterested in toeing the line.