The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2011, 03:21 PM   #26
BigJimP

The Blaser is a fine gun ...but contrary to my buddy OneOunces perspective of the K guns as "pigs on a shovel" ...I think the K guns ( Kolar and Krieghoff ) are fine guns as well.

It sound like the price on the Blaser is about right ...maybe a hair high ...but not much.

I think his offer on your Browning is a little low ( $ 4K ) ---and you could probably get $ 4,500 - $ 5K if you sold them yourself. Dealer is going to pay you $4k - and then he'll ask $ 6K for them ...and deal a little. Everyone has to make a buck in the deal ....but if he goes up on your trade-ins ...he'll go up on his price on the Blaser as well.

Its only my opinion / but if you want the Blaser - its probably a fair deal. Is it good for you ....I don't know ...

I don't know if these adjustable guns are a fad or not ...but my hunch is, they're here to stay. I think Blaser is targeting Perazzi's market share ...and maybe the lower end of the Kolar and Krieghoff lines.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:55 PM   #27
pabuckslayer08

The CG is a better choice in my opinion. Just as good of a gun and you keep your guns and spend the same amount. Whats not to like?
Old June 20, 2011, 05:38 PM   #28
BigJimP

I would keep the Brownings ....over buying most any of the Caesar Guerini's ...but that's just me.

I think the better Browings will give you a stronger gun ( for 250,000 - 500,000 shell lifes / with no issues ) ...and have a better resale value down the road than the Caesar Guerini's.

I think Blaser and Perazzi are in a whole different leage...and its a pretty big step up to either of them ( from the typical models offered by Browning, Beretta or Caesar Guerini ) ...but gun by gun ...there are exceptions to everything.

If you can / I would say keep the Brownings - pass them down in the family or whatever ...and buy the Blaser. Shoot the Blaser for a few years - and see if its your go-to gun or not. I just talked to a client today - that was on a long 3 month trip ....the top lever on his primary Perazzi combo gun broke in Idaho at a little shoot ...and he did not take a backup gun with him. At all of the big shoots - where I'm more than a few hours from home - on a 3 day or 4 day tournament - I always have a backup gun in the vehicle - just in case ! Any of your Brownings will certainly fill that bill for you ....and since they fit you well ....I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of them/ I doubt they'll depreciate much, if any, especially if you're not shooting them much.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:22 PM   #29
PJR

Several years ago I sold/traded a Beretta 682, Browning Citori Feather 20 gauge, 28 gauge Winchester 101 Diamond Grade Skeet, Winchester 101 three barrel set and a Krieghoff Model 32 to buy a new Perazzi MX8.

I love my P-gun. Don't miss the other ones.

3 Japanese Brownings plus cash for a Blaser? No brainer. Do it.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:27 AM   #30
Slugo

now I don't know what to do..........

Old June 21, 2011, 07:39 AM   #31
PJR

Quote:
now I don't know what to do..........
There may be a middle ground between selling them all that will still get you the Blaser.

But having been precisely where you are I know the emotions.

The problem is......
Quote:
Yes, I had the pleasure of shooting a standard F3 and it was fantastic!
You are stuck. A more expensive gun that knocked your socks off. Been there. Your choice now is to settle for what you have or something similar like the Guerini or take the next step up the hill and the Blaser is definitely a step up.

This desire is weighed against the emotion of parting with guns you've come to love, shoot well and the risk that the Blaser will be just an infaturation and you will pine for the departed Brownings once they are gone. I know how that feels too.

Quote:
I shoot the Lightning Sporting extremely well due to its fit and high post rib. The B325 was my first premium shotgun and we have many fond memories together. The Skeet gun is insane as to it's quickness and breaking ability, even with me at the controls!!
Change some of the names and I felt exactly the same about some of mine. Fond memories are a fine thing but is it worth keeping a gun just for them? It wasn't for me. So send the B325 to a new home. Meanwhile your Browning Skeet is a more recent acqusition so you won't miss it as much even though you like it.

The middle ground would be keeping the Lightning Sporting at least in the short term because you shoot it well. Deal the other two and put up more cash even if you have to finance it. When the Blaser arrives shoot it exclusively and if it is everything you expect it to be then sell the Lightning Sporting. If the Blaser doesn't satisfy, sell it and you still have the Browning that you shoot well.

This is what I did when I bought my Perazzi. The last gun to go was my Beretta 682 because I shot it best and was emotionally attached to it. After it sat in my safe unused for several months I decided that it should be owned by someone who would use it.

Years later I still shoot the Perazzi and have few regrets about my decision.

Last edited by PJR; June 21, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:21 AM   #32
Slugo

thanks PJR. Your words of wisdom are spot on and appreciated...

I wish I was the kind of person who could be satisfied with simple and few. No, not me, I get an itch for something, then it's time to open the flood gates and let it roll. Most folks with more common sense would be happy with one or two target guns that work best for them, but not me! I guess I'm more of an eclectic collector (sicko) than expert clay shooter. I've probably owned 50 or so shotguns in my life. Hard to believe I kept the B325 and Lightning Sporter so long. The rest are in more appreciative hands, I guess.

Bottom line, I buy the Blaser, then in a few months scour the countryside in search of a few more...
Old June 21, 2011, 10:22 AM   #33
BigJimP

Sometimes the search is most of the fun....

a buddy and I are on a search for him - to find a left handed 870 Wingmaster - Trap grade - with a 30" barrel and a monte carlo stock today. His budget is $ 800 ...and I don't think he has a chance of 1 : 1000 of finding it / but its all about hanging out ...visiting 3 or 4 gun stores ..pawn shops ...and seeing what is around.

One of us will buy something ...or 2 or 3 ...but an 870 left handed Trap ..maybe / maybe not.../

Same thing on the Blaser - I don't have any reason to think the Blaser isn't a better gun for you ( if it fits ) ...and you'll like it a lot. Justifying it - in your own mind - is something else. Personally I'd have trouble selling the Brownings ....( but then that's why I still have 25 shotguns in my safe too ...can't let them go ) ...

Give it a week - and see how you feel then .../ the deal will probably still be there. But coming to guys like us / to ask about buying a shotgun ...hell, we'll always tell you to buy it !!! ( we're all shotgun junkies ...) and proud of it.
Old June 21, 2011, 10:42 AM   #34
Slugo

"Sometimes the search is most of the fun...."

Old June 21, 2011, 10:48 AM   #35
PJR

Quote:
Bottom line, I buy the Blaser, then in a few months scour the countryside in search of a few more...
That is always the risk. But what I discovered is that once you start shooting the higher end guns the only risk is that you want more of them. That's why I bought a second Perazzi and have considered a third.

I believe in fewer but better guns.
Old June 21, 2011, 11:07 AM   #36
Slugo

Look, you guys have been more than helpful. I'm going to take the advice to leave it alone for a week or so. I have some shooting to do over the next few days and will be using my beloved Brownings, again! Pull.....X.....X

Maybe the hunt is over...
Old June 21, 2011, 11:13 AM   #37
oneounceload

Think of how any rounds of sporting you could get, or better yet - lessons and some sporting............THEN you can decide.......don't worry, Blaser will make more of them....