The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 1, 2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Mastrogiacomo

Gun Security Cabinet - Good Buys?

I'm looking for a good stack gun security cabinet. Sometime for my long guns and handguns (which are considerable). I saw a good one at Dick's but just want to look around as they won't get another shipment until Tuesday. Any good sites that sell these w/ free shipping? Thanks.

Laura
Old April 1, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
VUPDblue

If you are going to be storing any NFA items, I suggest something a little more substantial than you will find at Dick's. Try Gander Mountain
Old April 1, 2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Mastrogiacomo

Thanks but I don't want to have to leave the state to find a good gun cabinet. I live in a condo and money is tight so I don't have a wealth of income behind this purchase. I want something solid, secure, and economical.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
WillBrayjr

Just how much are you willing to spend?
Old April 1, 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Mastrogiacomo

Three hundred would be the max I can afford. We looked at something today in that range that was decent. Just looking around a little more to see if there's anything else I could consider.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:44 PM   #6
WillBrayjr

Have you came across Stack-On brand? Their 16-gun double-door cabinet is $279.99 at Cabelas. Stack-On cabinets can be found at just about every sporting goods and department stores like Wal-Mart.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Mastrogiacomo

I think that was the one I saw today at Dick's - Walmart had nothing...maybe we'll go with this. They have a shipment on Tuesday.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:57 PM   #8
WillBrayjr

My grandfather has the double-door model. Remember that 16-gun is without scopes, something my grandfather didn't take in account for. Your handguns can be stored in the leftside. That cabinet is alot heavier than it looks.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Mastrogiacomo

You mean your guns can't have a scope on them in this cabinet?
Old April 1, 2006, 08:09 PM   #10
WillBrayjr

You can but you won't be able to fit 16 in it. My grandfather has a total of 9 scoped long guns in the rightside. Do a little experimenting with your guns before installing the barrel rest.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Mastrogiacomo

Thank God - that shouldn't be a problem; I don't have that many long guns and doubt I ever will. It's the handguns I have in abundance.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:27 PM   #12
WillBrayjr

There's plenty of room on the rightside, I think 4 or 5 shelves. Down the road you can get an additional small storage cabinet that can be mounted on top if needed.
Old April 3, 2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Seancass

i watched my brother walk into a sporting goods store and open two locked safes. they where combination lock style. it made me really question gun cabinets. he isnt very smart, so him being able to do it means it must be perty easy.
Old April 4, 2006, 12:47 AM   #14
chemist308

an idea

My house is a bit unique in that I have a linen closet with a raised floor in my master bedroom. That worked perfectly for gun storage for a brief period until I was able to return them to my 100 - 120 year old gun cabinet with glass windows. But it got me thinking... If I want security and unless I have $1500 and want something fireproof, why not just build a gun closet with a solid deadbolted door? Under a raised floor could also be a perfect place for stashing handguns--a theif able to get in might not think of that. It could be built inside of an existing larger closet--yes it would sacrifice closet space. But the deadbolted door could be hidden by a piece of panelling on a hidden hinge held shut by a magnet and open much like some medicine cabinets by pushing false wall slightly for it to come back out. The whole thing couldn't cost more than $200 to build and need not be too destructive to make or remove if put together with screws. Plus if you have a class 3 weapon, I don't know if you want to advertise to a theif that you have guns by having a metal locker--he's liable to take the whole thing out on a dolly if it's not nailed down or bolted to the wall...
Just a thought.
Old April 25, 2006, 01:41 PM   #15
stallion114

Isnt it kind of stupid to have this lsubstanial amount of firearms in a cheapo 300 dollar safe. You should invest in a vault like the ones at gander. Not only is it good for the protection of your guns from a financial standpoint, but also to prevent them from getting in the hands of criminals. I could break those 300 dollar safes with a bat in about 10 minutes, or pick it up and put it in my truck, your choice.
Old April 25, 2006, 01:44 PM   #16
stallion114

Also if monry is tight, look in the slassified paper near you. I have seen many browning safes in my local paper and craigs list for 500 dollars, which cost more then twice that new.
Old April 25, 2006, 02:32 PM   #17
leadcounsel

A $300 safe will be next to worthless in construction, safety, and offers no fireproof. It will keep only the smallest of children out.

For about $20-30 and a couple hours of time you could buy some heavy duty eyebolts and bolt them into the wall studs about 5 feet apart and run two cables or a vinyl coated chain through the gun actions and secure the two cables with a lock. Run the cable through your guns' actions. Or, get individual cable locks (which most police stations give out for free) and attach each one to the chain and the guns. It would serve the same purpose (eg keeping kids from the guns). Sure there's no fire proofing or real burglarly protection but neither is a $300 safe. I bet I could get into a $300 safe in under 10 minutes with a hammer or prybar. One would need bolt cutters or hacksaw to cut the chain/cables (not something most crooks carry). Unscrewing the bolts may be difficult and the bolts won't thread through the action of the guns. You could take it a step further and conceal them with something such as a decorative screen, some artwork, built and paint a 4 sided rectangular box and place it in front of the guns and then put cheap artwork on the box to make it appear like part of the construction, etc.

Another idea is to build a sturdy crate that is about 12" deep and the length and width of your couch. Build it out of 2x4s, 2x8s, plywood, etc. Probably $50 in lumber and a few hours of time. Add some hinges. Move your couch and park it where your couch is, then fill it with your guns (possibly tied together with a cable and lock) and then park your couch on top of it. Conceal it with a couch cover that hangs down to the floor. Bingo, out of sight out of mind.

I would recommend saving that $300 and adding to it. Can you save $1000 more in 6 months? $1500? For around $1500 to $2000 you could get a quality floorsafe with excellent burglary and fire resistance.

See www.sturdysafe.com

I have a sturdy safe and it was somewhere around $1800 delivered. It offers 90 minutes of ceramic/glass blanketing fire resistance, 8 or 9 gauge steel, and a commercial grade combo lock and it's about 900 lbs.

Realistically, a safe this size would be extremely difficult to move into a small apartment if there are any stairs involved. But then again it would be more difficult to steal. It took me and 3-4 of my strong friends and a handtruck to move this mother into my home. I was originally going to put it in the basement but after the difficulty it stayed on the main floor.

And, you can store more valuables including jewels, pictures, camera equipment, ammo, etc in the safe. Seems silly to have thousands of dollars in valuables and gun and not have a safe place to store them.
Old April 25, 2006, 02:55 PM   #18
GunFixer

Zanotti Armor Modular Gun Safes

I would take a look at Zanotti Armor. They make a really good gun safe. AND it comes apart. I have 2 of them and I really like them a LOT.

They have a website at http://www.zanottiarmor.com