The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 16, 2021, 04:27 PM   #476
rickyrick

From what I noticed on social media, there are people who formed their opinion by watching the trial, and those who formed their opinion from big media talking points.

My opinion of the case has changed somewhat by watching parts of the trial.
Old November 16, 2021, 05:14 PM   #477
Mainah

Quote:
From what I noticed on social media, there are people who formed their opinion by watching the trial, and those who formed their opinion from big media talking points.

My opinion of the case has changed somewhat by watching parts of the trial.
Me too. This case has been a master class in media bias.
Old November 16, 2021, 06:24 PM   #478
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior
I think the argument is that he should have stopped shooting. Its interesting, as to when is the threat considered stopped in front of a jury.
I read somewhere that Rittenhouse fired four shots at Rosenbaum in 0.7xx seconds. That's not enough time for the brain to process whether or not the threat has ended.

Much of the expert training advice I've seen suggests either two shots to center of mass and then stop long enough to evaluate. If the threat is still active, shoot for the cranium. That was apparently old advice. A police officer friend (who has survived two shootouts) told me his advice is to fire two shots to center-of-mass and one shot to the "snot locker" (his words, not mine), THEN stop and evaluate.
Jeepaholic
Old November 16, 2021, 08:48 PM   #479
ghbucky

Reporting linked at Branca's blog that there are 2 jurors holding out due to concerns for their safety, family, jobs:

https://c2.legalinsurrection.com/wp-...PM-700x392.png

This is the very reason I've been expecting a conviction of some sort.
Old November 16, 2021, 09:58 PM   #480
Metal god

Can the judge replace those jurors with alternates . If the only reason you won’t vote your true feelings is because you fear repercussions ? That should be a good enough reason for dismissal??? It's not that they believe he's guilty ,they'd rather vote guilty and have him go to jail only because of fear .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 17, 2021 at 01:14 AM.
Old November 16, 2021, 10:43 PM   #481
stagpanther

bb
Old November 16, 2021, 11:04 PM   #482
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Reporting linked at Branca's blog that there are 2 jurors holding out due to concerns for their safety, family, jobs:
Assuming that's accurate information, I don't see how that wouldn't be an instant mistrial.

If the authorities know that some jurors are considering rendering a verdict that is based on something other than the facts of the case, that's a huge problem.

If anyone associated with that trial in any sort of official capacity becomes aware that there are jurors who are going to submit a verdict that is not based on facts of the case, things will immediately and very publicly grind to a halt.

What I'm saying is that if there are no public actions taken in the morning, I think we can safely assume that this report is someone exercising their creativity.
Old November 16, 2021, 11:37 PM   #483
ghbucky

Quote:
bb
What is this stagpanther? Not being facetious or smartalecky at all. Is this a typo, or some kind of acronym I'm not hip to (which wouldn't surprise me in the least)?

Johnska:
Quote:
If anyone associated with that trial in any sort of official capacity becomes aware that there are jurors who are going to submit a verdict that is not based on facts of the case, things will immediately and very publicly grind to a halt.
What is the process for this event? Mistrial and a do-over? That event puts an additional burden on the defendant. How is that handled?
Old November 17, 2021, 12:30 AM   #484
Metal god

I heard the 2 or 3 hold outs have become a team or are sticking together . Maybe not tactically but rather for support . When they came in to be dismissed for the night they all sat together .

I'd say if any of this is true or the fact there are leaks of what the jury is doing means the jurors that have concerns have a legitimate claim in my view . Again if true we know WAY more then we should .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 17, 2021, 12:39 AM   #485
Metal god

Quote:
What is the process for this event? Mistrial and a do-over? That event puts an additional burden on the defendant. How is that handled?
I believe the judge could still rule a mistrial with prejudice . Not sure for the juror issue but read the defense did file for dismissal/mistrial with prejudice yesterday afternoon/evening . The judge can still rule on that but I'm not sure if before a verdict . I believe he can after , even with prejudice but because it came after the verdict it will be appealable .

Old November 17, 2021, 12:57 AM   #486
44 AMP
Staff

pardon me, sailor, are those rats jumping off the ship something to be concerned about??

Old November 17, 2021, 01:49 AM   #487
Metal god

Heard a new thing the prosecution did or did not do . Turns out they knew who jump kick man was all along . Apparently he came forward to the prosecution and asked for immunity for all his pending charges ( not related to the night of the 25th ) for his testimony . This is new so not sure how accurate .

It appears they withheld his identity from the defense .

Last edited by Metal god; November 17, 2021 at 04:57 AM.
Old November 17, 2021, 04:12 AM   #488
stagpanther

Good grief, the rain of manure just keeps getting deeper.
Old November 17, 2021, 06:42 AM   #489
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
It's not that they believe he's guilty ,they'd rather vote guilty and have him go to jail only because of fear .
This was an issue during jury selection. I believe it was #62 who said she was afraid to convict because there could be retribution against her. #64 said she had a similar concern.

The judge commented that in his years on the bench he hadn't seen that. That seems like the wrong answer, since I doubt he has ever had such a high profile case involving a riot an a 17 year old successfully defending himself from a mob. He didn't literally laugh it off, but was dismissive of the concern.
Old November 17, 2021, 07:22 AM   #490
ghbucky

From reporting I've seen, the judge has gotten some very specific threats against his children so I doubt he is dismissive any longer.

I really fear that somewhere along the way we have allowed the mob to take control.
Old November 17, 2021, 08:31 AM   #491
stagpanther

I was at a Chinese restaurant and read a fortune from a fortune cookie; it said "beware judgements of those who carry sticks."

An obvious portend of mass mayhem and death threats to anyone involved in the Rittenhouse trial. I'm retreating to my bunker and preparing for the worst.
Old November 17, 2021, 09:16 AM   #492
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I read somewhere that Rittenhouse fired four shots at Rosenbaum in 0.7xx seconds. That's not enough time for the brain to process whether or not the threat has ended.

Much of the expert training advice I've seen suggests either two shots to center of mass and then stop long enough to evaluate. If the threat is still active, shoot for the cranium. That was apparently old advice. A police officer friend (who has survived two shootouts) told me his advice is to fire two shots to center-of-mass and one shot to the "snot locker" (his words, not mine), THEN stop and evaluate.
*Exactly. Fast shooting will put more rounds downrange before either the victim or aggressor's nervous system reacts.

*While two shots may be efficacious (and I don't disagree), its difficult in a super stress scenario, where people later can't even remember firing, etc.
Old November 17, 2021, 09:51 AM   #493
Jim Watson

Another motion to dismiss with prejudice.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-defense.html
How come we have to get our news on this from England?

Where are these Nervous Jury reports coming from? I can see the jury querying the judge but how does it get publicized?
Old November 17, 2021, 10:08 AM   #494
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
So I just want a little clarification--at the end of the day, if you are armed and someone comes running at you--for whatever reason--as long as you believe they are a threat to you, BAM--it's OK to waste them, anytime, anywhere?
You left the part out where the child rapist said, "I'm going to kill you."
Old November 17, 2021, 10:12 AM   #495
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
As to those that say Kyle should not have had a gun . That's just like saying " she should not have wore that low cut blouse or short skirt" . Bad things happen when you do nothing illegal , what did you think would happen ?
The real question should be, why would some idiot try to attack a guy with an AR?
Old November 17, 2021, 11:07 AM   #496
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Is anyone in need of a laugh for the day? I looked up the web site of the Kenosha County district attorney's office.

https://www.kenoshacounty.org/148/District-Attorney

From that office's home page:

Quote:
MISSION STATEMENT / OVERVIEW

The primary mission of the Kenosha County District Attorney’s Office is to uphold the rule of law, vigorously prosecute criminals and seek justice for victims of crime. The District Attorney is a constitutional officer, elected by the people of Kenosha County to a four-year term of office. The duties and responsibilities of the District Attorney are more particularly set forth in Section 978.05, Wis. Stats. It is important to keep in mind that the District Attorney is the gatekeeper to the criminal justice system. As such, his job is not merely to obtain convictions but to seek justice.
Methinks ADA Thomas Binger should be assigned to review his office's web page, and then to write on the blackboard 10,000 times, "My job is not merely to obtain convictions but to seek justice."
Jeepaholic
Old November 17, 2021, 11:39 AM   #497
steve4102

It has been reported that the Antifa and BLM boys are right outside the court house with Bull horns shouting “no justice, no peace” – “if Kenosha don’t get it, burn it down,” , and the jury supposedly can hear this.

It is interesting how the city of Kenosha did not form a perimeter around the courthouse keeping the mob away from the steps. There is a park across the street which was previously used for protests as the police guarded the building. However, today, for some seemingly curious reason, the local authorities are allowing the protesting mob and their bullhorns to conduct their agitation activity on the steps to the courthouse.

https://youtu.be/bsSvIx7CfhI
Old November 17, 2021, 12:14 PM   #498
Eight_is_enough

They WANT the jury to be intimidated into convicting. Those were two of their constituents who were killed.
Old November 17, 2021, 12:45 PM   #499
rickyrick

Quote:
The real question should be, why would some idiot try to attack a guy with an AR?
Because they wanted it and he looked like an easy person to get it from.
Old November 17, 2021, 12:50 PM   #500
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
It has been reported that the Antifa and BLM boys are right outside the court house with Bull horns shouting “no justice, no peace” – “if Kenosha don’t get it, burn it down,” , and the jury supposedly can hear this.

It is interesting how the city of Kenosha did not form a perimeter around the courthouse keeping the mob away from the steps. There is a park across the street which was previously used for protests as the police guarded the building. However, today, for some seemingly curious reason, the local authorities are allowing the protesting mob and their bullhorns to conduct their agitation activity on the steps to the courthouse.

https://youtu.be/bsSvIx7CfhI
Viewed through a conspiracy theory viewpoint, perhaps there is an intent to cause a mistrial so no actual verdict goes out?
Closed Thread