The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 1, 2001, 10:46 AM   #1
Master Blaster

Savage striker trigger Work or replacable?

Savage Striker in .22lr Anybody have one?
Hi All
I'm thinking of getting one any thoughts. The thompson contenders are too expensive and I want a highly accurate one shot./ bolt action. I also figure this would be a good piece for teaching shooting to my children, rather than a youth rifle.

The one drawback is that the trigger is not as good as the thompson, but I can buy two strikers for what a new barrel set for the thompson costs. Local gunstore has one for $199. Anyone have trigger work done on a striker?

Thanks
Old October 4, 2001, 01:36 PM   #2
Master Blaster

Well since no one wants to play I will post the results of my own research.

A company called Rifle Basix located in North Carolina sells a trigger its $74.00 delivered. Brownells also carries these triggers for the same price.

I bought the striker 501F in .22lr and last night I mounted a PDP5 red dot on it. Today I took it to the range at lunch.

Holy Moly I always read about accurate guns, but I never had a .22lr this accurate. Once I sighted the gun in at 25 yards.

I fired a 10 shot group that measures .28 inches edge to edge.

I fired this with plain old CCI standard velocity ammo with the gun on a sandbag rest. Then I fired another 10 shot group at .35" with remmington subsonic!!!

The gun only cost $199, and came with one 10 round mag.

This gun Kicks ASS on my S&W model 41. The left hand bolt right ejection set up is awsome you can cock and fire without taking your eye off the scope.

Much easier to use than the contenders and encores I have fired, for the cost of a barrel!!!

Savage you are AWESOME.

The squirrels are trembling in fear.
Old October 4, 2001, 07:33 PM   #3
Mic

I would have replied but my experiance is with Centerfire Savage triggers where A Sharp Shooter's Supply Feterweight trigger is the ticket. Good luck with your new gun.