The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2016, 05:21 PM   #1
magshooter

45 ACP load

Does anyone have a 45 ACP load for 185gr FMJ titegroup powder?

I have a load for this for large primer 45 ACP cartridges but does anyone have a small primer load for this?
Old December 22, 2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It won't be significantly different with a powder that lights as easily as Tightgroup. Because the small primer makes a little less gas, there may be a small reduction in pressure, though that is uncertain because the bullet can start moving sooner in the powder burn with a large primer. Your best bet is to load about a dozen of each primer type with the large primer load data and take them out and shoot them over a chronograph. See if the velocity average is significantly different or not.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 23, 2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Welcome to TFL. The place to come for answers from lots of friendly folks with tons of experience.

Quote:
It won't be significantly different with a powder that lights as easily as Tightgroup.
Unclenick is the ultimate thread-killer . Once he speaks, there's little else to add. As usual, he pretty much covered it this time too.

I load quite a bit of 45 ACP, but the closest thing I come to your loading (185/TiteGroup) is a 200gn FMJ (X-treme plated, actually), using 4.8gn of TiteGroup (large primer) - chronos @ 840 f/s through a full-size 1911. If I were to "convert" it to a small primer, I would do just what Unclenick said: Load the small primer brass with the same 4.8 grains, and past them over a chronograph. Adjust as needed.

As an aside: I like your load combination of 185/TiteGroup. Small or large primer, it should work well. TG is a good choice here. It ignites easy (as Unclenick mentioned) and that bodes well for light bullets. Personally, I'm partial to heavy bullets and guess what . . . I still use TG. My go-to plated range shooter is an X-treme 230 PHP (plated hollow point), using 4.6 grains TG - fairly spunky at 807 f/s.
Old December 24, 2016, 09:57 AM   #4
std7mag

Welcome to TFL..

Quite as Unclenick has said.

I prefer the 185gr also, and use both large and small primer casings. I have not run them over a chrono, but from an accuracy standpoint I can detect no difference.
Old December 24, 2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
I have a load for this for large primer 45 ACP cartridges but does anyone have a small primer load for this?
At times me thinks folks over think the large/small primers with regards to 45 acp.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 24, 2016, 11:43 AM   #6
shooter1911

I don't mess with small primers in 45 ACP. It's a mental thing.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:16 AM   #7
Zorro

.45 ACP just isn't a magnum.

Just use Bullseye.

For it's pressure rating it is the most efficient cartridge yet created.
Old December 27, 2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Hammerhead

Use your LP load, you won't notice a difference.