The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Pat C

Lanolin

I want to try the home brew of lanolin and alcohol. Can lanolin be purchased locally or do you have to purchase online?
Old December 16, 2016, 10:20 AM   #2
nhyrum

I was able to find it at a local health food store. One of 3 had it. The second said they could order some.
Old December 16, 2016, 10:40 AM   #3
rebs

I ordered mine from Pipingrock online
Old December 16, 2016, 11:04 AM   #4
mkl

I got mine on Ebay. Hundreds of choices out there. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Lanolin...86fUiWrwUblmKw
Old December 16, 2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Pat C

Thanks I ordered some from ebay
Old December 16, 2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Longshot4

Ok so you want to use Lanolin. Where dose it come from? This might sound silly to some people out there but. What are you going to use it for? Are you planning to oil your stock or action. Are you going to lube bullets or lube Bullets. Come on what's up with the smell of Sheep dip any way.
Old December 16, 2016, 11:29 AM   #7
mete

Baaaa, Baaaa, black sheep have you any wool ? There is lanolin and anhydrous lanolin [no water. ] excellent for sizing .My recent post on lubing carbide dies -just put a small amount on your fingers - all you need !
Old December 16, 2016, 12:53 PM   #8
briandg

Lee used to sell lanolin based resize lube.
Old December 16, 2016, 01:09 PM   #9
mikld

Quote:
Ok so you want to use Lanolin. Where dose it come from? This might sound silly to some people out there but. What are you going to use it for? Are you planning to oil your stock or action. Are you going to lube bullets or lube Bullets. Come on what's up with the smell of Sheep dip any way.
Quote:
I want to try the home brew of lanolin and alcohol. Can lanolin be purchased locally or do you have to purchase online
While OP doesn't actually state it, case lube is the only application I know of for alcohol and lanolin...
Old December 16, 2016, 01:39 PM   #10
F. Guffey

I believe it was back in 1954, Jack O'Conner wrote a book about reloading. In his book he talked about his hands, seems his hands hurt all of the time so he used lanolin. When sizing cases and lube he said he just added a little lanolin to his hands and lubed the cases when he picked up the cases. He used lanolin and nothing, for all I know lanolin was not used before Jack O'Conner.

And then there was Bag Bomb and Vaseline, Texaco had 'long fiber grease', that stuff was thick when cold and thin when hot and it stuck together, the thinking when that stuff was working it pulled itself through all the moving parts. And, there was Hypoid and differential grease. So rather than tell reloaders everything he knew about case lube Jack told the reloaders he used Lanolin and he explained why.

Lyman sold a case lube that was differential lube in small containers, the texture was the same, the smell was the same and the color? The color was the same. And then there was a company that sold a white case lube in a very small container; it could have been hog lard or rendered fat from beef. I doubt it was shortening, no reloaders would be caught using shortening on their cases And then I thought about it; that white stuff could have been something that was squeezed from a coconut.

F. Guffey
Old December 16, 2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Doyle

Here is a video of someone who did a test of home-made lanolin lube vs Hornady One Shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7De5b7T0Y8
Old December 16, 2016, 02:11 PM   #12
Pat C

It's a home made version of One Shot.
Old December 16, 2016, 02:52 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Doyle, I watched the video, thanks for posting. I always feel better about laughing with someone than when laughing at them. This video took me through a range of emotions. He broke his reloading bench and his adap-ter-kit.

Back to Jack O'Conner, he used straight Lanolin, I am no stranger to straight lanolin from a bottle meant to be used on the hands. I had old friends that used it. Problem, lanolin had to be removed after sizing but remember the stuff we used was not thin or something that could be spayed from a misting bottle. A few of us used a case lube that did not list 'case lube' on the side of the can. Back to the video; if I size cases that required that much effort I would think something was wrong. I use multipliers to gain leverage, had the maker of the video put more thought into methods and techniques I believe he could have provided a service.

F. Guffey
Old December 16, 2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Doyle

Mr. Guffey, I agree with you about his "testing" methods. It did however, show that the home-made stuff was at least as good as One-Shot and you can mix it up for less money. I bought some HEET and ordered lanolin with the intention of making some up. However, I goofed and bought lanolin cream instead of liquid. Now I've just got to figure out what to do with several oz of pure lanolin cream. I don't have enough leather in my entire house to need that much treatment.
Old December 16, 2016, 03:12 PM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
Are you going to lube bullets or lube Bullets.
No and no, the purpose of case lube is for lubing cases when sizing.

F. Guffey

When lubing and trying to avoid black powder pistol fire cross over I have used Luberplate. Most of the engine assemble lube I have used was very similar to lithium, and then they added marlex and they tried to add lead for wheel bearing lube when they went to disc brakes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379...ease-14-oz-can
Old December 16, 2016, 04:48 PM   #16
jepp2

Quote:
I got mine on Ebay. Hundreds of choices out there. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Lanolin...86fUiWrwUblmKw
Make sure you get liquid lanolin, not the solid like on this link.
Old December 16, 2016, 06:26 PM   #17
springer99

When you've had enough fun trying difference homebrew formulas, and cleaning up afterwards, just go out and buy some Hornady One-Shot.
Old December 16, 2016, 06:52 PM   #18
Longshot4

In 1978 I purchased my reloading equipment with RCBS case lube. All though I don't remember what I played for it but it was cheep and when using the lube pad to roll the cases I haven't used much at all. Last year I tried the die wax and am very happy with it. Do you really think you are saving money...?
Old December 16, 2016, 07:24 PM   #19
Mobuck

"Lee used to sell lanolin based resize lube."

Kept my hands soft and smooth throughout the winter, too.
Old December 16, 2016, 08:03 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

On the Cast Boolits site there is a vendor who's site name is randyrat. He sells lanolin and other home-made custom blended bullet lubes to those C/B members who have a use or purpose for bulk lanolin and other products of his. Good safe seller. >I have had business with him and happily vouch for him.
Old December 16, 2016, 09:34 PM   #21
SARuger

I use the Unique Lube and a RCBS pad, lay down ten cases, roll them, and then use one from the pad every other case sized. I actually use two of the RCBS pads.
Old December 16, 2016, 09:58 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

A lot of folks claim they've stuck cases with One Shot. I haven't, and suspect they may not be letting it rest long enough. For tough case, I spray with Lee lube diluted in alcohol, then spray with One Shot as one approach. If I only have a few to do, I don't do either, but apply lube by hand.

Hornady makes a lube they call Unique. This is like Imperial Sizing Wax, but cheaper. Seems to work fine. I wondered when I got it if lanolin might be part of the mix, but it's not. When I got the MSDS, it turned out it's mostly bleached tallow plus a little mink oil, paraffin wax, and glycerol. The tallow can be skimmed off a pot of a fatty cut of boiling beef, if you want to try it. Having it go rancid would be my one concern and may account for the bleaching. I don't know.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 16, 2016, 10:59 PM   #23
Metal god

I just started using that home brew 3000+ cases ago , It works great ! I used to use one shot and the Unique wax , well I still do just less . I love the wax and am unimpressed with the one shot . The one shot works good for 223 . I've never stuck a 308 case but that's because I could tell I was about to a few times and stopped . Added a little more and was gtg . Like the guy in vid said . Both work best when no longer wet .

The huge difference is cost . Although I haven't , I estimate I can do 100,000 223/308 cases using the home brew for about $12 to $15 . I can only do 3k to 5k for the same price using One shot . The down side to the home brew is it must be removed from the cases and your dies .

It does not take much . I mixed up a 12oz batch , 2oz lanolin to 10oz of 91% alcohol . Using that mixture I threw 700+ 223 cases in a plastic tub then sprayed 3 fine mist squirts on the lot , mixed with hand then 3 more fine mist squirts . Mixed that up a few times until no longer wet . GTG and when I looked at how much I used I could barely tell any had left the bottle . I've done a few thousand cases now and I just hit the 10oz mark on the bottle meaning I only used 2oz of the 12oz so far . And that's wasting a bunch a squirts each time after it sits because you have to shake it up . I then squirt a bunch out into the air to be sure I have the mixed up portion up in the tube and coming out of the nozzle .

I believe the Lanolin method works better . Why do I think that ? Because If I were to liberally lube a 308 cases with both then continually run the same case in and out of the sizing die . The one shot would get stuck in under 10 pulls . While The lanolin case never seems to stop being slick . You can run it back and forth all you want .

It's really amazing to me how well it works . Now I've not used 100 different case lubes but IMHO it's better (as far as slickness ) then one shot , imperial , case slick , unique , Lee sizing liquid/paste or what ever they call it . But I still use the Unique and Oneshot on single cases or small batches but I'f I'm doing several hundred , the Lanolin is coming out

How ever that down side of having to clean the cases well after can be a pain . Specifically my method of batch lubing in a tub . When I spray it in there It gets on and "in" anything it hits . There are often many cases mouth up when I spray . I'll be going progressive soon and I'm not sure the Lanolin oil method I use will work do to all the residue left on the completed cartridges when done . Although I've read the Dillon case lube is the same stuff . Maybe there ratio is different and there's less oil left on the case . I've not tried to see how little can be used and it still work .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 17, 2016, 11:22 AM   #24
F. Guffey

Quote:
Mr. Guffey, I agree with you about his "testing" methods.
It is not strange to me the video did not create a curiosity among reloaders of this forum, I am convinced there is no curiosity, for me I thought his use of the 'adap-t-er' kit was strange.

F. Guffey
Old December 17, 2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Pat C

[COLOR="Lime"]2oz lanolin to 10oz of 91% alcohol.[/COLOR]

I thought you have to use 99% alcohol?The down side to the home brew is it must be removed from the cases and your dies .

I thought it evaporated quickly?

Last edited by Pat C; December 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: wrong color