The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2016, 01:01 PM   #1
rebs

case prep center ?

What is you guys recommendation for a case prep center for 223/5.56 cases ?
Old December 6, 2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Metal god

Oh man I need one bad . I just finished prepping 800 LC-16 cases . It took hours to do so . It was the most I've ever tried to do in one lump some . I could not do it and had to split it in to two 400ct lots . Cleaning , sizing and removing primer crimp were not to bad . How ever trimming and deburring took for ever . I not only had to split the lot in two . It then took each lot a couple days to finish 1/2hr or so at a time .

I've been looking at different prep centers or trimmers and they always seemed to cost to much . After prepping those 800 cases . I'm ready to spend any amount to save the time .

For me I've been looking at the

Lyman Case Prep Xpress Case Prep Center
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...enter-115-volt

Or the Frankford arsenal one
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628...nd-trim-center

I'm leaning towards the Frankford because it trims as well .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 6, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old December 6, 2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Longshot4

Personally I have small output of ammunition. Although I do understand the lack of productivity when producing 500 or more rounds efficiently in a reasonable length of time.

Perhaps a dedicated case prep area set up separated but near the press area.

If cleaning the cases is required then of course that would be first. In some cases a sorting system for incoming cases.

Of course the press or presses should be efficient.

To be able to quickly change over would save a lot of time.

Keep this one going for all of us.
Old December 6, 2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Longshot4

Old December 6, 2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Fotheringill

There are a lot of steps to take in reloading. It can be absolutely mind numbing to do it in lots of 500, or for me, 100. To help preserve my sanity, I never do any step, except tumbling, in a lot of more than 50. It may be extra time going to another room or place on my bench for the next step, but it is a minimal waste of time. Try smaller lots because I would bet that part of the travail is the repetition of something 500 times that is getting you down instead of breaking things up a bit.

For example, if you use an electronic dispenser such as a Charge Master or Lyman Gen 5 or 6, let your mind take you back to sitting there waiting for the last .1 grain to hit that pan 500 times.
Old December 6, 2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Pat C

I have the RCBS prep center not bad for the money probably not as good as the other 2 your looking at, also look at the Hornady prep center that one is on the top of the food chain.
Old December 6, 2016, 02:39 PM   #7
SARuger

I use the Frankford Arsenal for .223

It works good but I suggest mounting it to the bench. Mine was moving around and I had to hold it with my free hand. Minor annoyance, works great.
Old December 6, 2016, 04:49 PM   #8
5whiskey

I use a Lee deluxe quick trim, so my case prep occurs on my press. It's messy as brass trimmings find their way everywhere, but I don't shoot super high volume .223 and it forces me to conduct press maintenance (which I should do willingly anyway). I have processed about 1500 this year though, which is more than usual. It's not too bad. I'll break it down into 200-400 round lots and take my time doing it. I cleaned, sorted, lubed, and sized 450 pieces over the past 2 or 3 weeks. This past weekend I trimmed, cleaned the primer pocket (and cut a few crimps off), and primed 200 of them. I trimmed another 100 last night, and will prime them tonight. I just work at my own pace and it's really not so bad.

I honestly hate lubing, sorting, and inspecting worse than anything, but at least I can sit on the couch and watch TV while I do that.
Old December 6, 2016, 05:15 PM   #9
shootniron

I have the RCBS...it does pretty well, but there might be others that are better.
Old December 6, 2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Martys

I also bought a RCBS quite some time ago. Only really used it for rifle's.
Old December 6, 2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Reloadron

I have and use the RCBS version simply because it was given to me as a gift. Overall it works fine but before it I just did what needed done manually. Since I like removing carbon and crud from primer pockets it works great for that. Also great for chamfering and deburring case mouths. I would guess it is a matter of looking at features and what each does case by case and deciding what you want and what your budget is.

Ron
Old December 6, 2016, 06:35 PM   #12
F. Guffey

I just sold a RCBS case prep center. It is the first tool I remove from the cabinet when I start. I know, that makes no sense but I had two, one was new. that is the one I sold.

F. Guffey
Old December 6, 2016, 08:57 PM   #13
berettaprofessor

Franklin Arsenal; love it. Get the accessory decrimp/pocket tools as well. Worth it.
Old December 6, 2016, 09:55 PM   #14
turtlehead

I've had the Lyman for two days.

It comes with all the tools and I happen to have another near full set from my Lyman hand tool.

It seems great. Very solid. Very quiet. I'm happy. Was on sale for $90.

Someone also sells a trimmer mod for it.
Old December 6, 2016, 10:25 PM   #15
JeepHammer

Before you jump into an 'All In One' unit,
There might be some considerations you want to discuss...

The first one off the top of my head is no guides for cutting processes.
That means 'Angle Of Finger' accuracy on cutting functions like primer crimp removal & primer pocket reaming.

If you can bend the case back into shape, getting the shoulder/Datum Line back where it belongs (a lot can't),
Then consider a trimmer that does all three cuts, Length, Inside Taper, Outside Champfer at the same time instead of three different functions.
(Saves a crap load of time & finger stress)

Girard (? spelling) and the 'Trim It II' are both powered trimmers that index off the Datum Line on the case shoulder & both will do three cuts at once.

Flat face cutters, even powered units, leave you deburring/tapering/champfering in separate processes.
Not a big deal with 10 or 20 cases,
Do a couple thousand and you will see the benifit in doing all three cuts at once!
Old December 6, 2016, 11:18 PM   #16
turtlehead

Giraud Tri-Way trimmer. Worth it's weight in gold.

Under $100.
Old December 6, 2016, 11:31 PM   #17
Metal god

Quote:
The first one off the top of my head is no guides for cutting processes.
Very good point to keep in mind . Right now I'm using the Lyman universal case trimmer with drill attachment . It has pilots that slide inside the neck when cutting . How ever I found when trimming some cases . There is so much material cut off that the pilots get stuck and I can't withdraw the cutting arm . So I started using it with out the pilots and have not had an issue .

It cuts the mouth very square to the case body . Here's a pic of the cases stood on there mouths showing they do not lean one way or the other .

To give you an idea how that method of standing them up works .You line 10+ cases up using a straight edge so they are perfectly inline with one another at the base . If they are square to the surface they are setting on the tops should line up straight down the line . Here is a pic of some cases that were fired from a firearm with an out of square bolt face . This resulted in the case heads being canted after firing . Notice how the case mouths don't line up down the line

As apposed to these that are nice and straight

So yes making sure things are square is important and is measurable .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 7, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old December 7, 2016, 05:29 AM   #18
SARuger

Here is my prep center. I bolted the Frankford Arsenal to the board along with the RCBS Trim Pro. The gladware container was cut down and fitted as a catch can for shavings/carbon.

I only use the FA to trim .223 since I prep them by the thousands, I use the RCBS for my low volumne/high accuracy loads for the .243, 30-06, 30-30, .44mag, 357mag.

But I do use the debur/chamfer feature of the FA for all of the cases I trim.

The way I was doing this chore before the FA was labor intensive and still makes my hands cramp thinking about it!

Old December 7, 2016, 05:42 PM   #19
Doublehelix3216

I've got the Lyman Case Prep Xpress that I use for primer pocket work, and a Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer mounted on a customer motor drive for case trimming.

Both are amazing!
Old December 7, 2016, 08:11 PM   #20
disseminator

I've got and recommend the Lyman. It works great and being top mounted, it collects all the brass trimmings and keeps your work area neat.

For Swaging Mil brass, get the Dillon Super Swage. It will make short work of brass prep. And finally, I use the WFT for 223 and it does such a job I don't bother reaming or chamfering anymore.

I prep mine in lots of 1000 give or take. Much nicer than doing 100 at a time. I have about 3500 ready to load right now and I won't need to prep them again for quite some time which is nice.
Old December 7, 2016, 11:14 PM   #21
Carriertxv

For me its between the Hornady case prep center and RCBS universal case prep center.
I like the looks of the Hornady but they seem to be having issues with quality control as of late.
Anyone have either of these?
Old December 8, 2016, 07:49 AM   #22
JeepHammer

I've given away two case prep centers as I worked toward more accurate cases.
They are GREAT for pistol ammo,
OK for 'Blasting' or range ammo (OK, not great),
As you work your way up to premium work, the case prep centers will show you their faults, namely guides or fixtures to align cutting functions.
Old December 8, 2016, 08:30 AM   #23
Carriertxv

Which ones did you give away and what are their faults?
Old December 10, 2016, 12:42 PM   #24
JeepHammer

Both had the same faults, as all of the prep centers do,
The ones with flat face cutters using Datum Line indexing still required two more stations, taper/deburr cuts both to inside & outside.

Wobbling tool stations were another issue,

The powered length trimmers didn't have ACCURATE stops, case lengths were inconsistant.

No guides to square cuts, it's up to you to try and keep the cuts square,
'Minute of finger' accuracy.
Old December 10, 2016, 01:36 PM   #25
Carriertxv

The flat cuts and having to chamfer and debur doesn't bother me but the unequal cuts do.
What units did you have?