The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 5, 2018, 03:09 PM   #26
Don Fischer

What is the magic number on group size that might indicate a hunting barrel is worn out?
Old September 5, 2018, 09:13 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

The owner determines the magic number based on what they want to do with the gun.

If you only use the rifle to plink at steel targets inside 100 yards, the magic number is a LOT bigger than if you want the rifle for benchrest competition.
Old September 6, 2018, 02:31 PM   #28
LineStretcher

You wont have a magic number unless you have records of how it shot after breakin. Even then, if they weren't your records it would be hard to say if you can shoot as well as the other guy/gal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
What is the magic number on group size that might indicate a hunting barrel is worn out?
Old September 6, 2018, 11:28 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Whether you have a baseline or not, you can still determine if the gun meets your accuracy standards as defined by your intended usage.

If I buy a used rifle and intend to hunt deer with it at ranges no longer than 250 yards, then as far as I'm concerned, the barrel isn't shot out as long as it will shoot groups suitable for deer hunting at 250 yards or less. That is true even if I have no idea of how well it shot when it was new--or if I happen to know the previous owner who tells me it shot 0.5MOA when it was new and now it will only do 3MOA.
Old September 8, 2018, 06:34 AM   #30
weaselfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Minute of deer. Hunting rifles don't get shot enough to get shot out. You'd need several centuries of hunting every year.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old September 8, 2018, 08:22 PM   #31
jrothWA

Bought a post-64 M70 in 7mm Rem Mag, and it would not hold five shots on a paper plate @ 100 yds. Soaked barrel with Shooter's Choice overnight for three nights, some minor reduction in group but the not that much.
Soft-loaded a Sierra 162 gr bullet, and closed the bolt after placing cartridge in bolt.
Measured where the bullet comparator [Sinclair], indicated the 7mm bore size, compared the length against the SAMMI chamber drawings. was almost .120 " longer.

SO now,I long load the bullets.

groups are now about 3.5', so will condier getting a new Douglas barrel after the New Year.
Old September 9, 2018, 12:57 AM   #32
Roamin_Wade

I bet I haven’t shot 200 rounds out of my lever action Savage model 99 in 243 since I was given it in 1984. It was real accurate then but it has started acting kinda funny in the past few years but the scope that was on it may have been messed up so I rescoped it. When I was around 15 or 16 I fired it in real quick succession 4 times but that’s the only time I’ve ever not worried about how warm it was getting.
I think my k98 may have some etching in the barrel from shooting corrosive ammo before I got it.
I’m going to re-examine both throats now that I have some idea on what to look for. I do like the poor man’s method of getting an idea what the throat is doing by sticking a projectile loosely in a spent cartridge to see how far in front of the bullet the threads are worn or gone from. Thanks for these great ideas and knowledge.
Old September 9, 2018, 10:22 AM   #33
RC20

Quote:
400 yards and 1.5 MOA.