The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 1, 2015, 08:28 PM   #1
coyotewsm

holsters?

Just bought a Ruger SR40 and looking to buy a holster for carrying. Think about and inside the waist holster. Any ideas suggestions?
Old February 1, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
sigarms228

Lots of great choices - kydex, leather, and hybrid.

I like my Aliengear 2.0, for some of my pistols, and it is reasonably priced if you like hybrid.

A good belt IMO is also important to support the holster. I use Beltman myself.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/ruger-sr40-1.html

Last edited by sigarms228; February 1, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

I really like the Theis Holsters Hybrid IWB. I have one for my XD40 Sub Compact, Kahr CM9, and Ruger LCR. There are several others of this design. Higher, and lower in price. But I am completely satisfied with the design, materials, quality, and quick delivery time of the Theis.
http://theisholsters.com/productDetails.php?pcID=1
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 1, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4
coyotewsm

What is a belt IMO? I'm completely green.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:09 PM   #5
sigarms228

Your pants belt.

A heavy duty belt can make a big difference in comfort and stability with your holster.

Lot of good belt choices. I got my 1 1/2 inch wide from the Beltman.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Old February 1, 2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

No no...

IMO = in my opinion

So he was saying, in my opinion, a belt is important.

Which it is. The Ruger is no lite weight so you want a nice, stiff belt. There are a whole slew of people making leather gun belts but you might have to wait. Another option is a "trainer belt", basically stiff nylon and Velcro. I use a custom made leather belt but sometimes break out my nylon for OWB.

Sorry, forgot about the holsters... I was a long time user of leather but now exclusively use kydex. For inside and outside the waistband in the at the 4 o'clock position, I use a holster by Bravo concealment. My main mode of carry is appendix carry with another kydex holster but this one by a random I found on eBay, badger concealment. I've owned dozens of holsters and if there is one constant its that the expensive, custom made wait 50 weeks holsters end up in the drawer and the inexpensive, no name ones get put on duty.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; February 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Mr.357Sig

Beltman belt 1-1/2 inch with Crossbreed Supertuck.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:01 PM   #8
coyotewsm

Does the belt have to be a special one or can it be any kind of belt?
Old February 1, 2015, 11:33 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

I think we answered that question. The belt you pull off the rack at target usually won't cut it.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:37 PM   #10
Worc

I like the N82. It was the first IWB holster I bought and now I'm done looking. The are very comfortable and with the original models, they fit multiple gun models.

https://www.n82tactical.com/
Old February 2, 2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Hunter0924

I carry a leather holster made by Next Holster. It is a local company for me so I thought I would try out their stuff. I have been satisfied with the Guardian for my Glock 20.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:32 AM   #12
Tony C

Just a +1 to the comment by Sigarms228 on the IWB tuckable holster. I haven't used an Aliengear holster, but my Kingtuck by Galco is similar, actually tucks under a shirt extremely well, but can be used without tucking just as a very comfortable IWB holster also. I have the Kingtuck for both my DW 1911 and my S&W 642.

Either of these would serve you well.
Good luck,
Tony
Old February 2, 2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm going to join the chorus on having a good belt. A good belt makes all the difference between comfortable carry and spending the day hitching up your pants. I have two different belts that I use: (1) an Aker B21 in brown; and (2) a DeSantis Econobelt in black. Most of the big holster companies also make belts.

Like many of my fellow TFL members, I have a wide variety holsters: IWB, OWB, leather, and kydex. The rig that gets the most use, though, is a Crossbreed Supertuck. (As an aside, I only rarely tuck my shirt in over the holster, but that's because my daily wardrobe includes a jacket.) I have a Theis that is every bit as good as the CBST, but it's not made for the G19 that I usually carry. If I were looking to replace my CBST, Theis would be my first stop, for a couple of reasons. They're good holsters, and Theis is local to me.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:15 PM   #14
coyotewsm

Thanks for all the comments.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:40 PM   #15
longknife12

After using a Carhart for a couple of years, I went to a local PD supply outfit and bought a Akar B21...difference was night and day! I do a IWB.
Dan
Old February 2, 2015, 01:45 PM   #16
jmhyer

For a hybrid holster that's essentially identical to the CBST, KingTuk, Theis, you should check out the Foxx hybrid. $39 shipped.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:49 PM   #17
tobnpr

I like the Alien Gear for IWB.

Didn't want leather because nearly every day is a sweatfest here in FL. and it would be a stanking mess in short order.

Secure, adjustable, and comfortable to wear with my Kahr CM9.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 2, 2015, 02:20 PM   #18
colbad

I generally do not like an IWB holster. It puts a lot of sweat on the gun for one thing and acquiring grip/draw is much harder. But for me, mainly I do not like buying my pants 2" bigger to accommodate the gun. If you don't buy bigger pants it is VERY uncomfortable to wear especially with plastic or kydex that remains very stiff.

When you really think about it, you are still going to put a cover garment of some type over the IWB holster. As such, I just as soon use a OWB loop or paddle type holster that holds tight to the body. Holsters are very particular to body type. What fits tight and prints very little for one guy may not work for another. The larger the FA, the harder it is to hide in an OWB. The advantage of a paddle is that I can take it on and off very easy and it works with my dress clothes...don't need a heavy gun belt. Although the comments about belt are important for an OWB, unless you wear baggy pants the waist generally holds an IWB holster and any belt works. A good belt is critical if you are using a OWB loop type rig.

The best advice I can give you is to go into a gun store and try on several with the gun. There are many factors that go into choosing a holster. You do not clarify your objectives for an IWB, but retention vs no retention is huge. Also, many things to consider in practicing with a holster, especially if it has a retention device.

I have been carrying a concealed gun or two for a living over 25 years and still in search of the "perfect" holster. I am not quite sure what it looks or feels like, but I guarantee you based upon the boxes full I have, this will not be your last purchase! The life long quest for the "perfect" holster.

Last edited by colbad; February 2, 2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old February 4, 2015, 06:03 PM   #19
JimDandy

Nobody mentioned this yet, and I only say this because you mentioned just how "green" you were. You've got a permit if you need one, correct?

And yeah as most have mentioned people don't have a holster, they have a rig.

Wilderness Store Instructor Belts with CSM lining, various leatherworker reinforced and/or double thick belts all designed specifically to hold up a holster.

Shoulder Rigs with the slightly less than optional tie downs for people with a temporary to permanent back issue that doesn't allow that weight on a hip.

Belly Band holsters for joggers and cyclists or other athletes in sweats or shorts etc.
Old February 27, 2015, 06:11 PM   #20
coyotewsm

So I posted on here right at a month ago asking for suggestions on holsters. After looking around I initially Bought a nylon owb holster just to have something to put it in. I also bought an iwb kydex holster made by on your6 designs. I have been waiting for my CC permit to come in for the past two weeks finally arrived today so today is my first time carrying. So far I love the holster. The only draw back is I can't tuck a shirt in. Once I realized this I went looking around again and found a holster made by fronline. When I found it I ordered but still waiting for it to arrive.