The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2015, 01:48 PM   #1
wbw

UTG scope problem

The 3-9X32 UTG (Leapers, Inc) scope that came on my Mossberg MVP Patrol doesn't seem to be working at all. Turning the windage and elevation controls results in no movement of the reticle even though I can hear the clicking sound as the knobs turn. I know, I know, I should not have gotten the combo package. Should have purchased a decent scope independently. But I'm more of a handgunner and not real experienced with rifles. I did sight in a combo scope on a Savage 17HMR once, so I'm not totally without experience. So I thought it would just be easier to get the scope already mounted on the gun. Well so far that isn't working out too well.

I have sent an email to Leapers about the problem. Any suggestions?

As I said, I did email Leapers, but would you contact Leapers (the manufacturer), Mossberg (provider of scope) or the gun store where you bought it?

Thanks for any help.
Old February 8, 2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Snyper

Leapers should be the ones to handle the problem

How are you checking for the reticle movements?

Are you shooting, but it's not changing the POI, or are you just looking through the scope to try and see it move?
Old February 8, 2015, 02:31 PM   #3
wbw

Just looking through the scope.

I took a suggestion of one of the forum members here and took out the bolt and looked through at a target. Then tried to get the scope fixed on the same point. But the reticle doesn't appear to be moving at all. Or am I totally screwed up in my thinking?

Last edited by wbw; February 8, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old February 8, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Snyper

Try clamping it in a vice or holder of some sort so it cannot move, and then sight on a target at least 50 yds away (100 would be better)

It takes a lot of clicks to get a tiny amount of movement up close

If you still don't get results, it's time to contact Leapers
Old February 8, 2015, 07:25 PM   #5
wbw

Thanks.

I was looking through the barrel in my house at about 30 feet. I need more distance. But then I won't be able to use that 'look through the barrel' method. At a greater distance I can't see what's down the barrel. That seemed like a neat idea, but I'll have to stick with a more traditional method of sighting in.

Thanks again.

Last edited by wbw; February 8, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 8, 2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Snyper

You can bore sight a gun at any distance.

You just need something easy to see

I've even done it at night by sighting on a light in the distance

I like to use a window or the side of a brick building, because it's supposed to be perfectly plumb and level
Old February 9, 2015, 08:42 AM   #7
wbw

"You can bore sight a gun at any distance.
You just need something easy to see"

I had hung a paper target in the house about 30 feet away from the rifle and could see it through the bore. Problem was that the scope didn't seem to be adjusting. So either the scope is malfunctioning or, it takes many many clicks (as you pointed out) to see any movement at very close distances.

I guess the next step is to focus the scope on something 50 or 100 yards away and see if the scope adjustments work at that distance. At least that will tell me if the scope is broken.

I haven't been able to actually try it out by shooting because I live near Baltimore and have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to a range. Hopefully that will happen soon though.

Last edited by wbw; February 9, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old February 9, 2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Erno86

If the scope's turrets are backed about 2/3's out, the springs will lose reticle adjustment pressure --- but yet you'll still see the turret turning and clicking.

I've had that problem with my vertical turret, on my {not enough shimed} Simmons air rifle scope, while shooting my spring powered air rifle at 100 yards. You'll might have to shim up the rear scope ring on the scope.

Try this: Rotate the scope turret till it stops --- but don't put to much turning pressure on the turret when it stops. Rotate the turret the opposite way --- while counting clicks --- till the turret knob stops; or the reticle stops moving. Divide the number of clicks in half and re-rotate the number of turret knob clicks halfway. Your scope reticle should then be roughly centered.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 9, 2015 at 03:02 PM.