The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 6, 2015, 01:52 PM   #26
Jimro

When I went through the SDM course offered by the AMU, civilian Distinguished Riflemen took their time to come and coach us.

It is my experience that the vast majority of military shooters have more to learn from civilian shooters than the other way around.

In my opinion anything that gets more Soldiers and Marines to take competition seriously is a good thing, if it gets more civilians involved that's even better.

Jimro
Old September 28, 2015, 09:39 PM   #27
Road_Clam

I am "hoping" the optic proposal hits the rule books. I am extremely nearsighted, and optics are my ONLY solution to proficient shooting. Around my club the #1 deterrent from individuals embarking into HP competitions is "bad eyes". Those of you whom are blessed with strong eyes come into my domain for a day.... I have the utmost respect for iron sight shooters, and I hope that if this rule flies that the iron shooters are classed and scored separately recognizing the elevated skills needed using irons vs optics. IMO allowing optics will help fill the empty lanes at the matches which at my club has been an issue.
Old September 30, 2015, 08:57 PM   #28
velocette

This 71 year old "New" NRA High Power shooter is quite pleased that I can compete in NRA high power competition. For at least 10 years, I have been unable to effectively use iron sights, no matter how sophisticated. (read high end Anschutz front & rear sights) I began High Power competition about 5 months ago when I learned that the NRA matches would allow optics.
Now, if I can ever learn to shoot offhand, I can earn a High Power master rating.