The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2018, 11:49 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

Range Day Fun

So I finally made time to get to the range with my auto-loaders. Recently got into an AR and I gotta say, it was very enjoyable. Even got to pick up brass from the guy next to me and his AR. Why don't people just keep their brass, was one of my thoughts today. Excited to put scopes on both.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old April 1, 2018, 07:15 AM   #2
JeepHammer

Nice benches!
25 years ago I made my bench out of concrete and set it on concrete pillars and people gave me a ton of crap about it.
I can't say I've ever regretted it.

One addition I made was a catch net for brass so I don't have to chase them all around.
Started out with a minnow net. Cheap and was the right size, works pretty good!

A good range day is real decompression time for me. Let's you blow out the cobwebs that nag you.
Like several days vacation stuffed into one afternoon.
Old April 1, 2018, 06:02 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

Yup, completely agree. My local range had all the benches built/donated by a local concrete company and they are all completely connect right into the foundation. I realize, after seeing pictures of other ranges, how lucky I am. AND they have a 1000yd range. So yea, pretty awesome.

Old April 2, 2018, 04:50 AM   #4
JeepHammer

I wish I'd thought of beveled edges, took me a week of grinding to round over edges!

The addition I made years later, a post from table top to ground with a swinging seat adjustable for height.
Since it swings, I can get it under the bench, out of the weather.

The latest incarnation has a heavy steel box between front legs to keep assorted range crap in,
Stapler, Staples, push pins, clamps, extra paper targets, even the chronograph in the summer. Beats lugging that crap back & forth...

I know yours is a public range and you can't leave your personal stuff there, just ideas if they ever revamp your range. The stool seat is a stolen idea... I know a good idea when I steal it!

The public ranges get torn up around here, just too many stupid people with firearms...
(Not a gun control debate, just stating facts)
While my tin roof has stood without holes for 20 years, the local range can't keep tin for a month. Some idiot shot the 4x4 posts with a shotgun, so when it rebuilt I used 4x4, 1/2" wall square tubing filled with concrete.

Last edited by JeepHammer; April 2, 2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old April 2, 2018, 01:23 PM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Yikes! Are there range officers at that range? Ours is well controlled and there *usually* aren't stupid people/idiots at the range. And if they find themselves on the firing line, their antics usually wind up removing them tout de suite.

I can't do any rapid fire, but for all that safety and supervision, it's a worthy trade off in my opinion. Not to mention, I really don't have much I would actually fire that quickly.
Old April 2, 2018, 04:35 PM   #6
JeepHammer

The local public range is open, anyone during business hours, but nothing to stop idiots after hours...
The club range doesn't have a range master and anyone's kids can get in at any time.
It's as simple as stepping over a cable to get in, so it's pretty chewed up.

You can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape!
Old April 3, 2018, 08:58 PM   #7
rjinga

Okay, this may be a silly question, but what the horizontal rail just past the edge of the table for?

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 3, 2018, 11:45 PM   #8
Cirdan

"The public ranges get torn up around here, just too many stupid people with firearms...
(Not a gun control debate, just stating facts)
While my tin roof has stood without holes for 20 years, the local range can't keep tin for a month. Some idiot shot the 4x4 posts with a shotgun,"

The indoor range I shoot at rents automatic weapons. The classroom is on the second floor right above the range. Never been in it without feeling bullets bouncing off the ceiling/floor.
Old April 4, 2018, 10:56 AM   #9
PlatinumCore16

@rjinga that is a series of wooden 2x6s. It's almost like a pergola that's really really short. Those are the dedicated 300min mag and larger caliber benches. Behind that hill in the background is a military base and (allegedly) the helicopters. They really don't want large caliber bullets getting tossed that way, so the large caliber rifles have to use those benches because there are backstops and the boards are there in case some idiot pulls the trigger with a rifle point up. And the bottom end of the boards are slightly chewed up in areas, so apparently they have com in handy.
Old April 4, 2018, 03:38 PM   #10
JeepHammer

Good idea, no shortage of idiots!
Old April 5, 2018, 10:43 AM   #11
stagpanther

I would think to keep someone from wandering into the line of fire and maintain lane focus--don't laugh--I've seen it, many times. good to hang stuff on to restrain concussion/brass rain too.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:29 PM   #12
ndking1126

Platinum, as soon as I saw your picture I recognised the range. It is, to date, the best range I've ever shot at. You're lucky to have it! I didn't have any semi' s at the time so I shot my semicuston savage chambered in 260 Rem. I would shoot the scuba tanks at 620 yrs. Do they still have them hung? It was range 3, as I remember.

I say "to date" because now I live about 2.5 hrs away from the CMP range at Talladega. It's only 600 yards but has electronic targets, etc and supposedly is the nicest range in America. As soon as I can get away from work long enough I intend to find out! Haha.

As far as I can remember, 300 win mag was the largest caliber they allowed. Now people can shoot stronger? Must be a newer change. (I was stationed there when it opened, so it's been a while for me.)

Last edited by ndking1126; April 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:58 PM   #13
PlatinumCore16

Nope, you are correct 300winmag is the max. Though the 1000yd range idk. Could be different over there haven't spent enough time on that one.

I am actually moving south, so I won't be nearly as close, but I'll probably make the trek up every now and then because it is so nice.

Old April 7, 2018, 11:54 PM   #14
hdwhit

Quote:
JeepHammer wrote:
I wish I'd thought of beveled edges, took me a week of grinding to round over edges!
What was the compressive strength (F sub c) of the concrete you were using?