The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 30, 2018, 12:01 PM   #1
KLCane

Question on cleaning barrel of .22 pistol

I have a .22 buckmark pistol. Is it okay to clean the barrel from either end? I've heard different theories.
Old March 30, 2018, 12:34 PM   #2
John D

Have always cleaned my .22's from the barrel end. As long as you don't bang it, I can't see what the problem would be.
Old March 30, 2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Skippy

I know it's apples and oranges, but I can only clean my revolver barrels from the muzzle. I just must be real careful to push straight in and not bugger up the crown. So far so good.

Can you not break down a Buckmark and clean from the chamber?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old March 30, 2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Damon555

My vote is......Neither

I learned a long time ago to leave the barrels on 22 lr guns alone. Keep the action and the outside surfaces clean and leave the bore fouled. Until accuracy drops off there's no need to bother.
Old March 30, 2018, 01:29 PM   #5
SIGSHR

IIRC the "Rule" is cleaning from the breech is preferred, avoids damaging the crown of the barrel. That is impossible with revolvers, a pull through could help there.
Old March 30, 2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Pahoo

From the breach to the muzzle.

Kane,
Quote:
Can you not break down a Buckmark and clean from the chamber, I've heard different theories.
With few exceptions, I always clean from the breech to the muzzle and it's just not a theory, it's good practice. I cannot think of any breech loader that can't be cleaned from the breech to the muzzle and I clean a lot of firearms.....
If anyone here can think of one, "Kindly", let me know. ......
Quote:
My vote is......Neither
At some point, the bore will needs some attention even if it's just a light swabbing. The point being made, is that .22 bores are cleaned too often and as this reply states, "At some point, the firearm will let you know what it needs."

Be Safe !!!
Old March 30, 2018, 03:04 PM   #7
bn12gg

For as long as I've owned it I drag a bore snake twice thru the BuckMark Hunter. The chamber gets cleaned up aggressively with #9. The whole gun gets rubbed down with Ballistol. Good to go thru another thousand rounds. Once in 7 years I've fully stripped the pistol down. Great gun imo.

.02. David.
Old March 30, 2018, 03:07 PM   #8
FITASC

If you use a boresnake, remember to clean it now and again with some hot water and Dawn in a jug you can shake, then rinse and hang to dry.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 30, 2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Ricklin

Clean and happy

I love the boresnake it's all I use on my trap guns. Occasionally clear the built up plastic out of the choke, and boresnake it.

Shotgun boresnakes get really dirty, the method detailed by FITASC works great. Quick and easy.
Old March 30, 2018, 04:31 PM   #10
bn12gg

Actually I use a boresnake on my 12g shotguns. -- post clays shooting. Problem -- I hold the barrels up to the light and they are not clean enough. So, I take a batch with either #9 or Ballistol finishing the job.... IMO somewhat dirty shogun barrels bother me.

.02. David.
Old March 30, 2018, 11:16 PM   #11
BigJimP

I clean my buckmark with a boresnake from chamber end......if you clean from the muzzle and you nick the metal on the crown of barrel, it can really affect the accuracy - virtually ruining the gun.

Using a boresnake is easy and effective...just clean them when they get dirty...( dawn dishsoap in a bucket / rinse them good / hang them outside on a nice day to dry....) ...

I do the same on all my revolvers too...its easy.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:25 AM   #12
cw308

With a revolver cleaning from the muzzle , you can use a muzzle guide . Most are careful cleaning making sure your not damaging the crown . Let the solvent do most of the job don't just add solvent run a patch an scrub , let it soak for ten minutes .

If you want to get it squeaky clean , run a patch cut from ( lead away cloth ) be careful with blued guns could remove bluing , for SS it removes the rings on the cylinder face like magic ,no scrubbing.

Last edited by cw308; March 31, 2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old April 25, 2018, 06:08 PM   #13
marc780

When that's the only option, and the other choice is not clean at all? Sure it's OK. The concern is that the cleaning rod will damage the crown, but using a bore guide eliminates that issue.
Old April 27, 2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Bob Wright

For .22s I use those bristley pipe cleaner found at the tobacco store. Saturate with Hoppe's No. 9 and swab away.

As for cleaning .22s, I clean them just as if they were centerfire. If any harm has is done by this, it will be the next owner who discovers it.

Bob Wright
Old April 27, 2018, 01:42 PM   #15
stinkeypete

+1 for the boresnake every 1000 rounds.

If you feel you really must brush, I insert the rod without brush, screw the brush on from the chamber side and pull.

After skeet shooting, I made my own crude boresnake from old tee shirt cut to the right size wad (it took a little fussing) tied to some stout twine, soaked a little hoppe’s and pulled that through a few times. It gets a lot of the considerable amount of gunk that gums up a nice store bought boresnake with bristles in it.
Old April 27, 2018, 04:02 PM   #16
Jim Watson

I just pull the occasional boresnake through mine. As long as the ammo is good quality and does not lead the barrel, that seems to be enough. I do scrub the breech faces of barrel and slide to get off residue that could affect operation.
Old April 27, 2018, 04:39 PM   #17
Mike38

People clean the bore of a .22? All I do is clean the chamber with a .25 bore brush, push a patch with some Hoppes through the bore with a piece of weed eater string, and that's it.
Old April 28, 2018, 11:17 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

From the muzzle is fine. Just use a brass or aluminum rod. Not going to do any damage to the crown on a steel barrel. Until somebody wanted to make a lot of money selling bore snakes, and the internet popped up that's how we cleaned every gun!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 28, 2018, 12:50 PM   #19
willr

This will second the use of a muzzle protector when cleaning from the muzzle. I have always been told that aluminum cleaning rods will tend to accumulate bore damaging crud on them -- which makes it essential to keep the rod away from the muzzle. Of course. it is nigh impossible to use a rod from the rear of a revolver. Bore snake is a good idea, too.
willr
Old April 29, 2018, 09:26 AM   #20
pete2

Folks, Google Patch Worm. Bought the first one for a Ruger MKII pistol. 2nd for a CZ .22 rifle.