The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Rangegod

LCP II 22 lr Range Report

Saw my first 22 lr LCP at the Miami Gun Show last Saturday. Dealer was asking $349.99 but quickly came down to $265. Finally got it on the range this morning.

Shooting volume was limited due to only having the single 10 round mag that came with the gun. (Continuous reloading is tedious.) I have 4 more ordered, but only one available for today. I did manage to fire 280 rounds using eight different 22 lr loadings. This included CCI Mini-Mags in both 40 gr & 36 gr HP, Aguila 40 gr HV, Rem 40 gr HV, Blazer, Stingers, Rem Yellow Jackets and my every day go-to, Federal 36 gr bulk pack. I am happy to report, that with the exception of a single dud round (Remington, imagine that), there were no failures of any kind. Every round fed, fired and ejected and the slide locked open on empty every time.

(10 Rounds of Yellow Jackets)

All shooting was done standing with two hand hold at 7 yards. Accuracy was surprisingly good, considering I was more interested in dumping rounds down range to test function, rather than producing small groups. Once POA/POI is determined for a given round, shooting good groups is not difficult. I did find that due to the size and weight of the gun, trigger finger placement is more critical for proper trigger control than usual. Talking about the trigger, it felt MUCH better during live fire than it did dry firing at home.

(First 70 rds/10 rds each brands except Fed)

I have seen several posting where people are asking "what's it good for", well all I can say is that I've been home for about four hours and I'm still smiling, that's reason enough for me.

JAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCP & Ammo.jpg (130.0 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 10 Rem Yellow Jackets.jpg (134.0 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg First 70 mixed.jpg (134.6 KB, 578 views)
Old February 19, 2020, 03:21 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I'm curious, do you also own the LCP-II in .380?

If so, can you tell us how the triggers compare,,,
Are they anywhere close to each other.?

I'm a fan of identical rimfire/centerfire pairs.

I feel that cheap practice with the .22,,,
Translates to better performance with the centerfire.

Lots of rounds with my Model 34 snubbie,,,
Made me very proficient with my Model 36 snubbie.

In any event I'm glad you are happy with the gun,,,
Four hours and still smiling is a good thing.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 19, 2020, 03:29 PM   #3
gnystrom

That was a great price. The going rate is around $300. Looks like a fun gun.
Old February 19, 2020, 03:35 PM   #4
triplebike

Thanks for this review! The LCP II 22 has definitely sparked my interest. I'll take smiling any day. Enjoy.
Old February 19, 2020, 03:57 PM   #5
Rangegod

Quote:
I'm curious, do you also own the LCP-II in .380?

If so, can you tell us how the triggers compare,,,
Are they anywhere close to each other.?
Yes, I do have the .380. I'm also a fan of rimfire/centerfire pairs. The triggers are very similar, but it's much easier to appreciate the trigger on the 22 without all the drama the 380 causes in the small gun.
Old February 21, 2020, 07:38 PM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

Drama of a 380? Have to say, if cost were no object I could shoot mine all day long.Of course that depends on which 380.
I love point and shoot style shooting. No guns out there to match my 380's so shoot the Phoenix HPA and to date have not seen anything to match the accuracy and reliability.
One of my favorite pastimes is shooting the LCR22.cal. It has really honed my skills with the LCR9mm which I shoot very often.

I would be interested in the LCP22 if it were the GEN 2 trigger and the cost was more around $200.00. Just saw a ad the other day for the Phoenix for around $125.00.

Regardless, congrats to the OP, seems like you are enjoying your 22.cal very much. And 22 rimfire sure cost a heap less than 380. Point and shooting over and over the 22.cal will really help with a small barrel gun proficiency. And glad to see it can shoot STANDARD velocity ammo. I would not even think of buying one if it did not.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 21, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 21, 2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Thank you for the post. Looks like a fun shooter and for the right price, certainly worth a consideration.
Old February 21, 2020, 10:28 PM   #8
kenny53

I really wish you didn't post a favorable range report. I had convinced myself I did not want or need another gun.
That is a great looking gun and sounds like a blast to shoot. Congratulations
Old February 23, 2020, 11:00 PM   #9
223 shooter

Nice range report. Sounds like I am going to "need" a LCP II 22lr as a companion gun to my LCP II 380!
Old February 27, 2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Rangegod

Quick LCP 22 lr Update

Got the LCP back to the range yesterday, along with four additional mags. Fired another 220 rounds of Federal bulk pack with zero issues. That brings the total round count to 500 with no problems to report. I also ran a few mags through my .380 LCP II. No issues, but I was quickly reminded why it spends most of it's time in the safe. Nice carry package for those occasions when no other gun will work, but I find no joy in punching paper with it.

JAC
Old February 29, 2020, 08:28 AM   #11
223 shooter

Quote:
Looks really nice, Basically a glock.
Unlike a striker-fire Glock the LCP II is hammer fired plus in the 22lr it has a manual safety. Take down is different too.
Old February 29, 2020, 11:40 AM   #12
Metric

I would be all over one of those, if the sight could be drifted for windage. Although it can pull self-defense duty in a pinch, to be really useful/desirable it needs to be able to do things that require well-regulated sights. The milled-in sights are basically a warning to stay away, if you want to shoot at smallish targets beyond self-defense range.
Old February 29, 2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
all the drama the 380 causes in the small gun.
LOL, But I love a little drama in my boom boom time!
For that price I would be all over one of those. Although the trigger, and feel would be different from my edc gen1 LCP, it looks like a fun shooter. Plus if the price is right some day I may "upgrade" to a II Elsie Pea for my pocket edc.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!