The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 2, 2020, 06:50 PM   #76
TunnelRat

I don't take any issue with calling him Gun Jesus. It's a moniker that's stuck despite it making him cringe a bit. It's not bad natured.

My issue stems from making it sound like he's "out to get" the 1911. He spends more time shooting a Ballester Molina than most other pistols, and while not 1:1 if he really hated the 1911 he wouldn't be shooting that either. InRange has provided video evidence of a Glock doing worse than a 1911 in a mud test. 1911 fans should love them for that. And even things he doesn't particularly like he tends, in my view, to be generally objective about them (more than many on YouTube).

What I see, from fans of a number of brands of firearms, is what seems to me to be an emotional attachment to their firearm of choice. I get it. It's something you're choosing to defend your life with and most people don't enter into that lightly. But someone not choosing the same as you or not liking it to the same extent as you isn't the same as "hating" it, IMO. I think the use of the word "hate" has gotten out of control, and not just in firearms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 2, 2020, 08:43 PM   #77
zeke

Might help to consider how long ago the 1911 was designed, put into service and available commercially. Am guessing that jhp/target bullets were not in common use when the gun was designed, or even half way through it's history. Now a days the guns are manufactured to digest most hollow points, but not when the earlier hollow points were put into use. Result may have been years (decades) of feeding problems.

Then there was the addition of the extri large safetys, and thumbs up shooting technique. Perhaps not in consideration when the pistol was originally designed. Carry a 3 inch/4 inch version. All the carry 1911's owned that might get carried have an older (2nd) style saftey that doesn't protrude out and catch on holsters/thumbs, or get put on during firing. Last time i looked, the oem colt safetys were out of stock where i buy parts.
Old February 2, 2020, 08:44 PM   #78
J.G. Terry

It runs against my experience.....

It runs against my experience: If you are a good listener it's possible to hear the wheels come off with the haters. First up, the claims of 1911 unreliability runs totally opposite of my experience.

It does not take long for the light to come on. The guy is quoting his nutball buddies, YouTube, and second string gun rags. When somebody comes up with 1911's unreliability ask them to elaborate. Enjoy the show. I have seen some really nice 1911's totally ruined by Bubba. That does not count. "Hater" is a buzz word for a fanatical and/or irrational dislike for an inanimate object in our discussions.
Old February 2, 2020, 09:44 PM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I just wish 1911 people would just shut up about it and do what they want to do and stop feeling such a need to feel vindicated. Take your insecurities elsewhere.
I think a lot of us would, if certain fanboys would also shut up and take their smug arrogance elsewhere.

Quote:
Might help to consider how long ago the 1911 was designed, put into service and available commercially. Am guessing that jhp/target bullets were not in common use when the gun was designed, or even half way through it's history. Now a days the guns are manufactured to digest most hollow points, but not when the earlier hollow points were put into use. Result may have been years (decades) of feeding problems.
The 1911 prototype was submitted for testing in 1910.

Commercially available JHP pistol ammo essentially started with Super-Vel in the late 1960s.

SO about half a CENTURY between the 1911 and JHP ammo, and now about half a CENTURY since JHP ammo hit the market, so damn sure yes, modern designs are made to feed JHP from the get go.

You can, if you wish, find fault with a 1958 Corvette because it doesn't have airbags, seatbelts, or wifi, and was made to run on leaded gasoline. Oh, and yeah, it also won't do well off road or carry a cord of wood.

If those are the things you value, buy things that have them. Just don't tell me how I'm wrong or somehow inferior in my choices. Guns, books,. food. religion, the woman I married, or any other personal choices, you don't get to make that decision for me, and I don't for you.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking you're an idiot if you don't listen to my advice...but I won't say so, I'll just keep that thought to myself and let you figure it out, on your own.
Old February 2, 2020, 10:32 PM   #80
JohnKSa
Staff

Ok, looks like this one has run its course.

I wonder if it will ever be possible to get through a discussion like this without namecalling and the apparent need to put negative labels those who disagree with us.

On behalf of gun owners with insecurities, idiots, and smug, arrogant fanboys, this one is now officially closed.