The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 29, 2016, 08:17 PM   #1
candlejackstraw

Identification of sporterized mauser reciever.

Hello everyone!
I picked up a sporterized mauser today and I am trying to identify the reciever. I'm enjoying the hunt and searching through images and forums, but I figured I'd post a picture and ask you all if you have any ideas. First off, a new barrel had been added, marked 30-06 with "williams" along the side of the rear sight. Looking all over the reciever all I could see was serial numbers. I took off the scope mounts and there were no markings whatsoever. When I removed the stock I found a z in a circle, the numbers 96 along the left side by the trigger, and a hardly visible mark along the trigger. There are also a few random numbers along the reciever. So far. In my searches I came across a picture with the underside of the reciever having the exact same z in a circle, while people in the thread at first said "interarms mark x made by zastava" and then someone else came along and said "looks like a czech proof mark" the thread seemed to teter off. Here is a picture of the underside of my reciever
Any ideas or speculations are welcomed and thanked heartily!
Old June 29, 2016, 08:19 PM   #2
candlejackstraw

Sorry for the poor quality picture. Getting my phones camera to focus at that distance was hard. The number underneath the z is 32
Old June 29, 2016, 08:23 PM   #3
candlejackstraw

Old June 29, 2016, 08:53 PM   #4
HiBC

It looks tomelike it is a commercial 98 sporter,not a milsurp.
Milsurps typically have a thumb cut in the left side for facilitating stripper clip loading.

I'd be inclined to agree on a Zastava.I'm pretty sure they were in Yugoslavia.

I'm thinking the MK10 was a Zaztava.Remigton offered a 798 and 799 that were Zastavas.

I'd say you have a pretty darn good rifle.If it shoots reasonably well,like 1.5 MOA or so,I'd have a hard time stripping it for the action,myself.
But,it IS yours.

I would call it a modern commercial sporting rifle,not a milsurp or C+R
Old June 29, 2016, 08:55 PM   #5
candlejackstraw

Yea I don't plan on stripping it or changing anything. It already has the 3006 barrel on it.
Old June 29, 2016, 08:57 PM   #6
candlejackstraw

Thank you for the reply btw. Here's some more photos of it

Old June 29, 2016, 08:59 PM   #7
candlejackstraw

Btw in the trade we valued it around 200 dollars.
Old June 29, 2016, 09:01 PM   #8
HiBC

I stand corrected.It does have the stripper clip features and mil bolt sleeve.

Husqvarna built similar "factory built sporters"

Does it have nything besides 30-06 written on the barrel?

I'd say if it shoots,you got great value for $200.

Last edited by HiBC; June 29, 2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old June 29, 2016, 09:08 PM   #9
candlejackstraw

Right underneath the scope, at the base of barrel, near the reciever looks to be a lower case "b" in an oblong circle. I can take the scope off if a picture is needed
Old June 29, 2016, 09:19 PM   #10
candlejackstraw

Took the scope off here's the marking on thr barrel
Old June 29, 2016, 09:20 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Military action, Numrich scope safety, bolt handle altered/replaced, nicely rebarreled, polished and reblued. Nice stock.

No idea the exact origin without receiver markings. Will see if I can find anything on the circle Z.

Who ever did it, did a fine job.
Old June 29, 2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Hawg

It looks like the stripper clip hump was ground down. That will give it a stronger rear mount but precludes ever going back to military configuration.
Old June 29, 2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Tidewater_Kid

From what I can see, it a Czech Mauser from Czechoslovakia's Zbroyovka BRNO factory. They are the only ones to use the circle Z proof.

TK
Old June 29, 2016, 09:47 PM   #14
candlejackstraw

I'm really at a loss about mauser actions and conversions. But I picked it up since the price was right. If the reciever is czech, are the Czech recievers considered good quality?
Old June 29, 2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Yes. At least equal to German. Some gunsmiths of the golden age of cheap surplus delivered to your doorstep thought it better.
Old June 30, 2016, 12:25 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"..."williams" along the side of the rear sight..." Means William's Gun Sights. Not exactly a bad thing.
'Zastava'(currently Serbian. Used to be part of Yugoslavia. Stay out of the Balkans. snicker.) isn't a bad thing either. They made Mausers for everybody and his brother. Interarms, Parker Hale etc, etc. Good kit.
Old July 2, 2016, 12:03 PM   #17
candlejackstraw

So i took it out to the range today and tried sighting it in. Here's a few disclaimers.
I mainly shoot pistols, and I rarely ever deal with scopes. My ignorance was definately obvious when I was sighting in.
The range I shoot at only allows 15 yards, 100 yards and seated.
I wasn't using any fancy bench rests.
Its 100 degrees down ehere in louisiana.

So I first started sighting it in at 15 yards. I was using cheap monarch 30-06. I shot. Realized I was low. Clicked the dial once (lmao now I realize I needed to do it alot more and shot again. This photo is 4 shots at 15 yards

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2016, 12:04 PM   #18
candlejackstraw

Old July 2, 2016, 12:06 PM   #19
candlejackstraw

Then I took it out to 100 yards. My dad was helping me sight it in. Move it down. To the right left etc etc. So all these flyers were me trying to sight in lol. My 3rd to last shot was to thr right of the bullseye, the last two were in the red. This gun I'd obviously more accurate then I am. I love it. And I obviously need to practice. I had a 3rd target with cheap perfecta ammo, I didn't take pictures. But I had 2 holes touching to thr top right of thr target

Old July 3, 2016, 08:19 AM   #20
damienph

I can't really contribute anything as to who made the receiver but I will say that I would gladly pay $200 for that rifle. I think that you did very well on it and it certainly turned out to be a good shooter.

I remember the heat and humidity of south Louisiana, my mother and most of my family are in Abbeville area, Vermilion Parish.
Old July 3, 2016, 06:35 PM   #21
candlejackstraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienph View Post
I can't really contribute anything as to who made the receiver but I will say that I would gladly pay $200 for that rifle. I think that you did very well on it and it certainly turned out to be a good shooter.

I remember the heat and humidity of south Louisiana, my mother and most of my family are in Abbeville area, Vermilion Parish.
That's exactly where I'm from

Old July 3, 2016, 06:36 PM   #22
candlejackstraw

What's your family name? I'm a broussard.

Old July 4, 2016, 09:34 AM   #23
Jimro

candlejackstraw,

The circle Z mark could mean Czech proof mark, or a Polish Radom arsenal mark (a lot of Polish Mausers got sent to participate in the Spanish Civil War and from there into the surplus market). Does the serial number end with a letter?

The lower case b in a C mark on the barrel obviously means something to someone, but I don't know what. The only guess I would hazard to make is it could possibly mean "chrome bore" which was offered on some Mauser hunting rifles after WWII (in both 30-06 and 270 Win). You can test to see if you have a chrome bore or not with a cotton swab and some cold blue, if you run the cold blue down the inside of the muzzle and it doesn't work, then you have a chromed bore.

Jimro
Old July 5, 2016, 11:01 PM   #24
Scorch

I picked up a Mauser today that looks just like yours!! The barrel is from Numrich (that circle with an anchor inside of it is from Numrich). The action has been ground and the serial numbers restamped, stripper guides were ground off, and it was drilled and tapped, big and ugly bolt knob, so I will replace that, and a recycled Mark X stock. I gave the guy $125 for it. For the price, not bad. The only thing I wanted was the action, the rest will go away.